The Planets

Started by artie, June 28, 2015, 21:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artie

The moons diameter tonight seems greater than the comparative distance between the two planets. However they are over 550 million miles apart. A similar picture to tomorrow nights display.

PuffTheMagicDragon

We are also lucky not to have any light pollution.
So when I'm curious about the night sky I look at 'Stellarium', a program I down loaded a few years ago, it's so simple to use, as a casual observer.

Puff

NB Last night, Saturn  was just below & to the left of the moon

fidgetmidget

Been watching these, and others,  all week here, no light pollution whatsoever and the other night there were literally thousands of stars in an inky black sky, beautiful. The only problem last night was the very bright moon, but not complaining, that in itself is a beautiful sight.
Fidget Midget
Wer'e all going on a European Tour - Up The Clarets!
www.benidormsoulfiesta.com

sleepy john

I saw these stars last night and wondered what they were. Thank you for the information.

felipe

Non polluting? you must be joking, I have 4 of them surrounding my house and the whole garden area is like sitting in a floodlight. No need for outdoor lights when we have guests, so I suppose we are saving electric that way :)

artie

Felipe.
The street lights,even here in "Hicksville" should be non polluting. Speak to our wonderful TH about remedying the situation. They now seem to have loads of cash!

zilnor

Thanks Artie. I can see them in Burton on Trent.

felipe

Be even better to see them if there were no damned street lights!!

Pennydot

Spotted these on the way back from Mojacar on Friday.  Thought it was Venus but needed my iPAD to identity Jupiter!

Glorious!

artie

For those who may have a little interest in the sky at night, two "stars", one bright, the other not so, in the West, are Venus to the right, and the great gas giant Jupiter at 10 o,clock from it.