awaywiththefairies

Started by PAULT, June 26, 2015, 10:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulieRoger

Well, I am a fairly new member, having joined the Forum when we moved here 8 months ago. I look at the site every day and have found it an excellent source of information for what is occurring in the local area. I have only made a handful of posts myself asking for information on various topics and the responses I have received have been most helpful. Indeed, I made an urgent plea for help in homing a dear little kitten I found in the middle of the road this week and thanks to this Forum he has today gone to his new adoptive home. So, the Forum has been invaluable to me. I will continue to use it daily.

zilnor

Nibbler and Byrney, I am blushing at your kind comments !  ;D 
I am the first to say there is good and bad wherever you go in the world. I get fed up with those people who constantly criticise Spain or the UK. Nowhere is perfect ! I have good memories of my time in Spain but I have adjusted to life back in England and mostly enjoy it. I do miss the warmer winter climate in Spain and the tapas bars  ! But traditional British pubs , public parks and gardens  , my free bus pass, and daily walks along the river Trent compensate !  :lol:

byrney

Agree Nibbler.  Once upon a time, certain individuals who had (usually for spurious reasons) been forced to return to the UK, continued to use the Forum to vent their spleen at their perceived injustice that they received in Spain.  Nay, some even used it to try and destroy other people's businesses and lives.  Scroats.

Fortunately, I reckon they've pretty much been weeded out and the Forum is a much better place for it.

However, we have a core number of people who no longer live here, or are here part-time - Liz, Webe, Richard to name but a few - who continue to contribute and give valued opinions on a wide range of topics and are more than willing to help "newbies" (and us "oldies") the benefit of their experiences.

The Forum would be a far worse place without them.  :clap:

nibbler

The forums all the better for your input Zilnor and many other's long may it continue. :clap:
Nibbler :tiphat:

zilnor

I lived near Partoloa for seven years before moving back to England two years ago. I enjoyed my life in Spain but circumstances, involving health problems and a much loved elderly mother, now aged 95, forced the move back. I used the Forum whilst living in Spain, and I continue to use it now. Because I lived there for seven years, I feel that my experiences and opinions are valid . And anyway, I enjoy a debate on certain issues.  :lol:

rockymo

Great forum for discussion , information ,giving opinions, moaning, ranting , getting things off your chest in general and helping others that read it
Could not be better

Jockscot

It's just a pity that the advice given ,not to debate matters that were clearly a downstairs subject , was not heeded,
So I will reiterate , if forum members are offended by comments from below stairs , don't visit , or at the least keep the comments in that particular area, the forum has been running along just fine with the segregated bar room banter being enjoyed by the participating forum members , and leaving upstairs to their own devices and everyone is happy,
:romance:

nibbler

Completely agree Byrney :clap:
Nibbler :tiphat:

owdoggy

Nobody slags this forum off more than me on occasions and sometimes, in my opinion, the arrogance and stupidity of some of the posts is astounding but, and here's the kicker, I have to say that it has been a valuable resource in the six years we have been here so long may it continue.....(again IMO) warts & all.

The figures say that the majority of forum members don't post, indeed, I know of quite a few people who read the forum and yes, complain about it but strangely keep on reading but would never dare to post........ why never dare?...... that's one for the committee I think.

Wherever you get a group of people you are going to get a mix of opinions and an internet forum is no different but the Arboleas forum is .... I'm looking for the right word here ........ condensed is the best way I can put it because, apart from the people who have moved back to the UK, we're all within meeting distance and so it's a wee bit harder to hide behind the keyboard....... just imagine that meeting!

I have complained about some of the people who post on this forum many times but I've also gleaned a lot of useful information and made new friends here ........ I think the term "sort the wheat from the chaff" applies here....... whatever you own personal wheat & chaff maybe.

Doggy

byrney

I fear that some of these ne'er-do-wells have some sort of hidden agenda to blacken the name of the Forum.

I can't for the life of me think why, because it is one of the most useful Internet sites that I have ever used and I have obtained a wealth of information which has enhance our lives in Spain no end.

Keep up the great work Phil.

felipe

Hogs, my views exactly. But that is just what some previous members are saying that we are a forum of no residents!!  It is amazing what jealousy does to some people. If this forum was so bad we would not be signing up so many new members.

webejamin

Well I fink it's a great forum ;D well done Phil :clap: And now I'm leaving :wave

Just to get some bottles of Britain ;D

felipe

skid112 leaving up to you, so that would be two that has left.
However, what you have chosen not to notice is that there is a wealth of members that post regularly.
Trouble is people like you only want to see a minority.
Of the 30 posts on my unread selection there are 28 different members that have posted in the last 3 hrs. That does not include those that started the threads which would add another 20 or more.
With over 150 posts made daily the majority of which are by different members, I would say that your statement is totally incorrect. There are also over 100 people on the forum at any one time from about 8.00am until midnight. The names of the members fluctuate in that list.

Oh, and we may have lost one but just signed another up two minutes ago. That makes it three new members today. Some these are Dutch and Belgium going by their IP addresses.

skid112

they may still be members but very few post anymore

and theres another gone

zilnor

Feline.  Well said.  :clap:

felipe

Actually skid112, very few members have left the forum. She is the first one for many many months. Apart from the 4 or 5 that were banned earlier in the year. In fact we are signing up 2 new members EVERY day. That can be seen by the number of new members posting.

The problem with some users is that they cannot simply debate, they have to ridicule and call people names or racist etc. The problem with having such a large forum is that you get a huge variance in opinion. That for me, is the sign of a healthy and popular forum.

If one or two don´t like it then fine, that is down to them. It is just a pity that some of these people still feel the need to run this forum down when it is clearly providing a fabulous service to those living here and in the UK, to those that left for various reasons. We do not differentiate where people live. If they have something to contribute then they are all welcome.

skid112

they, like many others, have left

PAULT

A few of you may have seen a note from  awaywiththefairies that appears to have been removed.
In the note this person said they could now longer agree with many of the post on this site. (or similar)
I for one would like to offer my sincere appologies if I have offended a member who does not derserve it.
It you read this     "awaywiththefairies" this goes out to you.