White lines....

Started by hank, July 31, 2014, 22:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm2

What I believe has happened here with these particular road markings is that a genuine mistake has been made - either a wrong instruction or a misinterpretation. Whoever is responsible -  the T/H or Highway  Agency - should correct their error asap. Admitting a mistake as soon as it becomes evident - particularly in public service - wins more friends than trying to defend or ignore the mistake. Whilst I'm sure this particular issue is low down on the T/H's priority list (and until last week didn't even feature on any list) - the correction of this mistake is high profile now it has been aired on this forum. So getting it corrected asap can only be positive for the T/H. Leaving the road markings as they are will only serve to give the impression that the T/H is incapable of resolving what for most people is seen as a simple mistake. 

After all I'm sure the manufacturers of the white paint also make it in black!!! I'm sure whoever is responsible will find plenty of volunteers in Arboleas to wield their paint brushes even in the heat of an August day.

byrney

"I wish that is all we had to think about in the Town Hall".  I fully agree Roger, but unfortunately, erroneous (and even illegal) road markings cost the public (Spanish and ex-pats alike) money in fines and are at the forefront of every driver's mind.

Now, if the various Authorities want to dispel the voting public's notion that all they are about is fining peoole to fill their coffers, then surely they should be following the correct procedures and legislation for their seemingly random use of white lines.

In the UK (and I am pretty damn well sure that it is the same here), signage on highways is strictly controlled to ensure that it is there to ensure the safety of road users (whether in vehicles or not).

It is not a question of "hey lads, have you got a few cans of white paint left from that building job you were doing?  If so come down here and chuck a few more gallons on this road and that - funds are a little low at the moment".....

It's time Councils (not just Arboleas) and the Law started playing the white man and giving us a fighting chance of protecting our hard-earned pensions.

I see that no-one has been able to answer the question yet as to what legislation / regulations / procedures are in place which need to be followed to make white lines legal in the first place.  (I recall Roger telling us some mumbo-jumbo about how the GC/PL were allowed to fine people around the Los Lllanos market - sorry Roger, NOT getting at you, as I know you were merely reporting what you'd been told by the Mayor).

Roger

It is a narrow country lane.
The entrance from the lane is very wide because it has, illegally in the past, been made into a car park for the market
A white line has been now put on the adjacent road, with a dotted section to allow turning into and out of the lane to La Judea.
All that has happened is the the guys doing the work put the dotted section at one end of the wide access, rather than in the middle.
I wish that is all we had to think about in the Town Hall.

Norm2

Quote from: felipe on August 02, 2014, 07:34:59 AM
Has anyone been fined for crossing those lines in the last couple of years? If the answer is no, then why all the concern about it? Until it was mentioned in passing on here no one had even considered it.  We have all got to get out more :):)
Because these road markings have only been painted on the carriageway in the last week or so - none there previously: not in the last 12years to my knowledge. 

felipe

Has anyone been fined for crossing those lines in the last couple of years? If the answer is no, then why all the concern about it? Until it was mentioned in passing on here no one had even considered it.  We have all got to get out more :):)

ramblarider

Interesting question.

In the UK speed limits and such are actually put in place by what the law says in respect of that particular road or junction - not by what the sign says.  In other words, if a 30MPH sign was 'accidentally' erected on a 70MPH road, it would have no legal effect and you could not be fined for ignoring it. The signs are (of course) mean to accurately reflect the legal situation....  changes in road rules are enacted after a certain process as Byrney says. What the system is here, I have no idea...

billandjess

Roger:  I love you like a Brother.  But please do not make statements like above.
 The Law is the Law.  White Lines, and Stop Signs, must be obeyed by all.  Also why do I and others be forced to break the Law.  When Cars are parked, and doubled parked at white lines.
 Please Inform Me.  Are the STOP SIGNS. For the fast drivers only.
           Just William

byrney

Tetley

Quote from: byrney on August 01, 2014, 19:20:09 PM
No Tets, I was asking how it SHOULD be done according to Spanish/EU legislation and regulation, and not how it's done locally. :whistle:

bryns yer turning out ti be one o mi star no sensible pupils  :handshake   :lol:

:)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

No Tets, I was asking how it SHOULD be done according to Spanish/EU legislation and regulation, and not how it's done locally. :whistle:

Tetley

bryns,that one for Mayor Rog to give guidence on.............. him been our local Brit all things SP legal chap  :clap:

evening all turned out nice again this end  ;D
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

No webe, I'm OK - they can't speak English.  :whistle:

"Just tell them Roger said it was OK"  :rofl:

Incidentally, like in the UK, is there is a formal process for introducing new traffic signs which is enshrined in legislation with full justification, public consultation, a period for objections, etc etc, which enables people to challenge fines because the due process has not been followed?  Just wondering.  :whistle:

Karen4

Cl3880

webejamin

Quote from: byrney on August 01, 2014, 16:17:17 PM
NOBODY controls the G Men - they are a throwback from Franco.
Watch yerself byrney, they may be checkin up on ya on here :o

Hawkeye1

Just tell them Roger said it was OK

byrney

NOBODY controls the G Men - they are a throwback from Franco.

fernlea

Does the town hall control the G men ? If I get pulled by them crossing the mentioned lines will the town hall sort it out ??

byrney

"The Town hall will not fine you if you cross where the dots should be".

Oh dear, here we go.  Now we are told that we can ignore some white lines and safely cross them without fear of sanction.

Would it be possible to have little signs placed next to the lines which we are now allowed to cross - and also any dotted lines which should be solid lines where we are not supposed to cross.

Unfotunately some of us "out-of-towners" do still visit Arboleas and whilst you locals know where Arroya, La Judea etc are, we don't have a clue!

Also, whilst the Town Hall-controlled Police may well have been "reprogrammed", I am assuming that Chips and his mate on his motorbike haven't been told and will therefore continue to hand out tickets like confetti?

Oh to be back in the UK where all they have to fear are the "clamping gangs gone native"..... ;)

Roger

The issue on the Zurgena is not the fault of the Town hall.
This road is the property of the Diputacion (about the only road in Arboleas which is) and we are waiting on them to sort out both this junction and to continue the work on the Arroyo junction.

The white lines over the old bridge is a cock up!
The were a bit careless in the placing of the dotted lines, probably because that junction is very wide coming from la Judea.
You can cross this line when turning in both directions. The Town hall will not fine you if you cross where the dots should be.

ES

When the Arboleas to Zurgena road was resurfaced some 3 or 4 years ago, several broken lines were omited meaning that turning at these junctions was "illegal" and was commented on on this forum.  Roger stated that these lines would be rectified the next time that the white line people were back on site.  The contractors have been in the village many times but we're still waiting. 

We're also still waiting for 6 meters of tarmac on Calle Hechizo to link up to this road.  The excuse for this not being done is that a proposed roundabout for the bottom of Los Golondrinas is with the Junta. 

Any update Roger?
ES

Norm2

I think you will find that Roger already has this issue in hand

olly

I think these lines have been specially painted in for the new driverless cars.
If you drive your own car, then,  like the Spanish you can just totally ignore them all.🚗🚓
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

hank

They've recently put a few white lines in some places around Arboleas.
All very good stuff particularly the junction by the school.
But the bit at the orange grove end of the old bridge seems to not allow you to turn left towards La Judea when travelling from Arboleas, or to turn left when exiting from La Judea.
The broken white line there seems to be in the wrong place.
Anyone else think the same?
Or has it been a long week?
August tomorrow!!
If I had to live my life over, I'd live it over a pub.

Windows was unable to locate the requested file. Would you like a glass of wine instead?