"motorway plants"

Started by Norm2, July 22, 2014, 14:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm2

Alfie - that's good advice - thanks. It does seem to me that most households have planted these bushes and are - like I was until today - completely unaware of the associated risks. I just wonder whether this thread would get more publicity if it had been posted on the "general board".  The lady I spoke to today who had suffered a life threatening reaction (blood poisoning) after pruning this plant had a lucky escape.

alfie

Oleander is quite toxic, and when pruning them you need to be well protected as they can cause a severe rash if leaves, sap etc. come in contact with your skin. Also, theoretically you cannot burn the cuttings, as they give off toxic fumes. Personally I would never plant them.

Norm2

My question about this plant followed a conversation this morning with a lady who was having mobility difficulties. She told me that she had recently (2weeks ago) been rushed to hospital with blood poisoning caused by the Oleander plant. Seemingly she had been in the garden pruning and cutting at this plant and had, as a result, ingested some vapours from this plant.

As I look around most gardens seem to have a Oleander plant of some variety. Having looked on the internet for information about the risk of poisoning it does appear that it is the "yellow" variety that presents a danger to humans and pets. But if anyone has any more information - or is able to contradict - my research please post on the forum because it appears at the moment that Oleander plants should come with a health warning. 

Norm2

Many thanks for the information

mickandjan

Norm2

Can anyone give me the correct name for those leggy white/pink flowering bushes usually seen stretching for miles on the central reservation of Spanish motorways? Thanks