Overun with Ants in the Garden

Started by cactusqueen, May 06, 2013, 22:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swithin

We had a problem last year with pharo ants in the house which if sprayed spread to other parts of the house as happend to us. We found this on you tube from USA pest controller , and it works on all ants!!!!.

You need boric acid powder ( bought fron local farmacia ) €3.00 for 250grams, peanut butter and glazing sugar.

Mix 1 table spoon of each together until past, then use drinking straws to push into paste  forcing paste up straw untill full. Cut straws into approximately 1in lengths and distribute around nests. May take a day before they go near, but once they have they will go crazy for it. Keep unused full straws in sealed plastic bag to keep fresh.

No need to worry about boric acid as only harmful to insects, can be eaten by humans. It attacks the ants nervous system and kills quickly.

The reason for peanut butter and sugar mix is some ants are grease loving and some sugar. Ants will not eat boric accident without mixing. I put two straws out side where big ants were and they went mad trying to pull them down hole to nest, next day ants were gone!!.

wicking2006

I always have ant stations brouht from uk, use then inside and out. This year have
found them in Mercadona, 2 in a pack. They work, take the contents back to their nest.
Just leave on floor outside.

mikeypen

It's "Most" likely the cause is that the fruit trees need spraying with a "Fruit tree Insecticide" as the only reason ants infest the trees is because eggs from greenfly , whitefly or other ! are there and they love em  ???, check closely the leaves on the trees and I'm fairly sure there will be visable signs of this  :head , the agricultural shop next to Mora oil have fruit tree insecticides.
Hope that helps you ,
Mike.

cactusqueen

Have a lovely garden with Flowers and A Cherry Tree and Grapefruit Bush but too many ANTS all over the Tree and Flowers have tried many tins from Mercadona can
anyone recommend something that will get rid of them and yet not harm the fruit
please.