Can I get sky through my old 1.3 mtr satellite dish on a subscription.

Started by phildawson, July 20, 2017, 17:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: phildawson on July 21, 2017, 12:21:13 PM
....I've heard there are some phone apps available to help in this respect, if so any recommendations ?

If you have an Android phone or tablet, you may wish to try one or more of these: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=TV%20SATELLITE%20FINDER&c=apps&hl=en_GB.

You can also get a precise map alignment on your computer using http://www.dishpointer.com/: it also gives the elevation and azimuth of your chosen satellite (ie Astra 28.2E for most UK channels).

phildawson

Thanks Sat. I'll give it a try, getting some more channels other than those showing 'Baggage wars' and the like would be a bonus :-) 

Of course my dish (or my head) may now need adjusting as it's sited a bit to close to my pool box and I've connected with it a few times.

I've heard there are some phone apps available to help in this respect, if so any recommendations ?

sat

Actually, most of the Sky pay channels are on a European beam, just like they were on the previous satellites.
So yes, you should still be able to get (most of ) Sky through your existing dish.

However, non Sky pay channels, like BBC ITV C4 Five, and one or two others (CBS), and a few SKy pay channnels, are on the UK beam on the new satellites, and your dish will be too small to receive these where you are.

Simple to test... turn on the sky box, go to a channel (Sky One) and if you get the no signal message, your dish is too small, if you get the "upgrade" or "channel information" banner, then you are getting a signal and you will receive that channel.

phildawson

OK thanks for confirming what I thought... clutching at straws 😊  I also got an android box which frankly is a waste of money.
Funny thing is I can get BBC and ITV with only occasional buffering using an IPad

guest4538

Quote from: phildawson on July 20, 2017, 17:56:01 PM
I already have a sky box and connection to the dish, set up way before they changed the satellite.

I don't think so! If you could, locals would not have upgraded to 1.9 and 2.4 metre dishes.

You can get all the channels you want through IPTV, but it costs and the entrepreneurs involved are not Sky employees!

phildawson

I already have a sky box and connection to the dish, set up way before they changed the satellite.