money transfer

Started by hartcjhart, March 13, 2017, 17:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: Trucker on March 15, 2017, 18:25:57 PM
I may be wrong...often are but when you advise Transfer wise to tranfer money they give you the exchange rate of at midday rate of that day..I thought thats what they informed me some years ago when I started using them but that bit not sure of now..it may be as you say refresh browser and thats the rate.. but I do know they charge £5 per thousand in fees...as far as I have seen they come out in front...got to be good for someone as Brason is involved with them..

Sorry, I might have mislead you there. You don't need to refresh your browser when doing a deal. The exchange rate is shown on the screen and, if you're content, you can proceed with that as the guaranteed rate of exchange of your deal. Transferwise's rate is the "real mid-market rate" (that's the figure midway between the selling and the buying price) at the precise time you log-on to their "send money" page.

When I suggested that you refreshed your browser, that was simply to demonstrate that Transferwise's exchange rate changes by the second. Hence deals, with quite different exchange rates, will be done throughout any single day: so they can't all be "midday rates"!

The commission charge is £2 or 0.5%, whichever is the greater: that indeed works out at £5 commission/£1,000 transferred if you happen to be transferring multiples of whole £1,000's.

I agree with you: I don't believe any company does remote transfers better. But for small cash transfers, while in Spain, you should get better net exchange rates (that's overall including the commission) at any cash machine using a Halifax Clarity credit card, or specifically at a Santander cash machine, with a Santander UK debit card.

Trucker

I may be wrong...often are but when you advise Transfer wise to tranfer money they give you the exchange rate of at midday rate of that day..I thought thats what they informed me some years ago when I started using them but that bit not sure of now..it may be as you say refresh browser and thats the rate.. but I do know they charge £5 per thousand in fees...as far as I have seen they come out in front...got to be good for someone as Brason is involved with them..

guest4538

Quote from: Trucker on March 15, 2017, 10:08:20 AM
TransferWise give the midday rate of the day and charge £5 per thousand to transfer...simples

I'm not sure where you get that idea? TransferWise's rate varies with the market: when the markets are open, simply refresh your browser to see the instantaneous changes. It seems that once you continue to the deal, the rate is fixed and guaranteed for 24 hours.

Trucker

TransferWise give the midday rate of the day and charge £5 per thousand to transfer...simples

guest4538

Quote from: LANDI on March 15, 2017, 08:12:59 AM
We usually use Transferwise but on a recent trip to Mojacar went to see GCEN who matched the Transferwise quote we had.
Most will match other quotes you may have.
Good luck.

I'm not sure the point of that exercise. What benefits are there in travelling to GCEN's offices to get the same deal available by spending a couple of minutes online with Transferwise? Or am I missing something?

LANDI

We usually use Transferwise but on a recent trip to Mojacar went to see GCEN who matched the Transferwise quote we had.

Most will match other quotes you may have.

Good luck.

Wrypop

Tell him to compare - it is very competitive in the trading world. I have never paid a fee in my life. Try Transferwise, try SMART currency and try others. Shop around.

hartcjhart

Thanks one and all, have sent him the link to transferwise so he can make a decision

Lynden

Use Smart Currency. Tried to use GCEN but very slow at responding to email, didn't give me confidence.

Rod

Transferwise for me. Send it in the morning and get it in the afternoon. Very good rates and low charges, half a percent. Used to use GCEN but found they did not give the best rates.

guest4538

Quote from: Cheese on March 13, 2017, 19:01:25 PM
Global currency exchange network gives a better rate and good service.

I should like to know how you reached this conclusion?

I looked at the GCEN website and they do not appear to disclose their current exchange rate. This lack of transparency does not help in making comparisons: so I'd be interested to know where you get information showing that GCEN rates are better than those offered by Transferwise?

Transferwise's rates are fully disclosed online and up-to-date; and transfers are quick - often in the recipients account one or two days before being debited from the senders account (when using debit cards for transfers up to £2000).

But, if GCEN offers a faster , cheaper service I should appreciate further information: we all need to make savings especially with a falling pound!

Lancashire lad

Mark at currency 4u, Really good service and rates

BobL

We have always used GCEN ('Global Currency Exchange Network). Never a problem. They pay the commissionn to the receiving Spanish Bank but it has been known for the Spanish Bank.to double dip. Shouts of horror & disbelief.
Office in.Mojacar or www. BobL

Angleseyite

Quote from: Cheese on March 13, 2017, 19:01:25 PM

I agree, always use these, no problems, money in within a couple of days.  :08:

Cheese

Skol

Transferwise Good rates and very quick.

Fishery

Definitely transferwise

Suej

Tetley

Quote from: hartcjhart on March 13, 2017, 17:34:10 PM
A friend wants to transfer 10k sterling to his fathers account in spain,who would you guys suggest

transfair wise
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

hartcjhart

A friend wants to transfer 10k sterling to his fathers account in spain,who would you guys suggest