External hard drive

Started by Alison, December 09, 2015, 15:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

I can't comment on the relative merits of different back-up and recovery systems, but as with anti-virus and firewalls, I'm perfectly happy with the tools provided within Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files.

DieSse

"but is there any reason why you shouldn't simply use Windows 10's own back-up and recovery tools?"

I use Win 10, but haven't actually tried these in-built tools. I can suggest with confidence the tool I've used for several years. It's particularly good at allowing the restore of individual files and folders from the inside of the image files. It also means you can get into backups on a non-Win 10 system should the need arise.

It also now allows backups to standard cloud services, should you want to.

People can use whatever they feel comfortable with - I will only recommend things I've had good experience of personally.

guest4538

Quote from: DieSse on December 09, 2015, 20:17:09 PM
........ Good free (for home use) software is EASEUS Todo Backup. Make a full System Image (that's a complete backup of everything on the system, such that you could put it back onto a new drive, should your existing one fail, or you need a larger one) at least once per month, and your data more frequently......

Interesting, but is there any reason why you shouldn't simply use Windows 10's own back-up and recovery tools?

DieSse

External hard drives are so inexpensive, it's now best to get a 1TB (that's TeraByte). Unless you needs are much higher - in which case a 2TB. Make sure it has a USB3 interface (most current ones have) - even if your system now only has USB2, it makes sure your backup drive will continue to be up to the mark if you renew your system.

You should be able to get at least two backups of your hard drive onto it - 3 is better (and traditional in business).  Good free (for home use) software is EASEUS Todo Backup. Make a full System Image (that's a complete backup of everything on the system, such that you could put it back onto a new drive, should your existing one fail, or you need a larger one) at least once per month, and your data more frequently.

APP in Albox have a Toshiba 1TB for €65.10 and the 2TB €98.10 - there's plenty available for around theses prices

guest4538

Quote from: Alison on December 09, 2015, 15:45:19 PM
Can anyone advise me on what size external hard drive I would need for back up of Windows 10. Many thanks in advance.  :smilies-christmas4:

It depends upon how much data you have to back-up.

As a simple guide, I would suggest getting an external hard-drive about the same size, or slightly larger, than your computer's. Hard-drives are fairly inexpensive nowadays.

Alison

Can anyone advise me on what size external hard drive I would need for back up of Windows 10. Many thanks in advance.  :smilies-christmas4: