BBC Iplayer

Started by judysrafford, November 13, 2015, 09:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandL

Quote from: Chisme on February 05, 2016, 08:08:29 AM
I'm intrigued and confused! Does anyone have the answer?
Probably not! But I think given the different results that people get depending on their own setup, it's not simply that the Beeb have a black-list of VPN-provider IP-addresses, but they might be detecting at the client-end whether a VPN is in use. Some systems and browsers/apps may reveal that information, others don't.

Trouble with nailing it is that there are quite a few variables: whether a VPN or a SmartDNS is being used, and which one, whether it's with an iPlayer app or via a browser, and which browser, and whether it's on Windows, iOS, or whatever. I think in this thread nobody has yet said that a SmartDNS has stopped working, so maybe that's worth a try for people still having a problem, if changing everything else fails! A lot of VPN providers do SmartDNS as an included option.

ray

I'm using Private Internet Access (PIA) on my phone and BBC IPlayer is still working.

ray

guest4538

Quote from: Elgin on February 05, 2016, 07:38:59 AM
I can still access BBC iPlayer via my Sky Box but have just checked via the PC and it appears I am now being blocked.

Presumably you use the same VPN, configured in your router, whether you access BBC iPlayer directly or through your Sky box?

I'm intrigued and confused! Does anyone have the answer? (Or is it simply that your PC is connected to your primary router, while your Sky Box is connected to your DD-WRT router and it's VPN has yet to be blocked by the BBC?)

Elgin

Quote from: Chisme on January 31, 2016, 23:32:49 PM
Elgin was getting BBCiPlayer through his VPN, at least up to 26 November 2015: see http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102280.msg560410#msg560410. My VPN was blocked much earlier.

Perhaps Elgin could let us know whether or not his VPN has escaped the BBC purge?

I can still access BBC iPlayer via my Sky Box but have just checked via the PC and it appears I am now being blocked.

Camarotes

And yes, using chrome and Hola I can now watch programmes via I-player, but with a fair amount of buffering, so I tried to Download in order to watch offline later, but back to a quick flash of the message that I can't watch BBC unless resident in UK, followed by a message that there's been an unexpected error causing failure of download.  So what am I missing now please?  Downloading worked fine until a week ago.

Camarotes

Thanks Johnhc.  You're going to blame my browser then!  Using Explorer I received message from BBC I-player that I was using a VPN and unless I could prove that I was in UK, I would not be allowed access.  Following your comment I tried with Chrome and gained access to I-player without a problem.  So thanks - I'll hope it stays that way.

johnhc

Camarotes, beg to differ. Have Hola downloaded on my chrome book and no problem getting i-player and all the other UK add ons.

guest4538

Elgin was getting BBCiPlayer through his VPN, at least up to 26 November 2015: see http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102280.msg560410#msg560410. My VPN was blocked much earlier.

Perhaps Elgin could let us know whether or not his VPN has escaped the BBC purge?

Camarotes

And by the way, Hola can't get BBC iplayer either.

Camarotes

Been using iplayer via telypass very successfully on regular basis but that died today with message from BBC that I was using a VPN and my ip address couldn't be verified as being in U.K.  Wrote to telypass and received instant reply that there was no way round this. So if anyone knows of alternative still working I'd be pleased to hear of it.

Oats

:s7943:
Did anyone else have a problem with Hotspot Shield last night? Ours has disappeared completely from our hidden icons and when we try to access it the message 'HSSCP.exe - entry point not found' comes up. We pay for this VPN. I have written to them and am currently waiting for a reply. Have had to revert to Hola, which works but antivirus doesn't like it, which is why it was removed from out computer before. Any ideas people?

johnhc

Still watching it and ITV player, 4ondemand etc etc via Hola unblocked. It's free to download and works.

edwinad

Did you manage to find a solution? I too lost iplayer via my VPN last month (though till last Sunday I managed to find a way round the problem by picking a server I knew still worked manually). I know the BBC are actively blocking VPN's so I wondered if anyone has discovered one that is still working. Thanks.

oldbirchy

Interesting PandL.
Why not use kodi to watch back episodes? There are two new addons called we love soaps and siap catch-up for those addicted. So even those are available now.

Regards Andy

PandL

Yep, there was a report saying that the BBC was trying to crack down on VPN use, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/19/bbc_cuts_off_vpn_to_iplayer/ ,
but it's in the interest of the VPNs to keep one step ahead, and most will I expect, provided you let the VPN know there's a problem.

johnhc

Download Hola, works perfectly for me.

sat

Perhaps your VPN is now blocked by the BBC....so check with your VPN provider...

Lorraine

judysrafford

I have been watching BBC Iplayer both live and catchup through a VPN very successfully for over 2 years.This week I am unable to access it .Just receive notice that it is only available in the UK.Have tried on laptop and tablets.Does anyone know what has changed?