Bank Charges

Started by Optomist, March 31, 2015, 10:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilnor

Our account is with BMN (CajaMurcia) and they never charged when we transferred from our English account. Sometimes we paid a sterling cheque in and they charged us 12 euros to clear, on amounts of £1500/2000.

arty choke

I would agree with keeping the majority of the money in a uk account,very difficult to open another once
You have no uk address,also tell your friends to make sure they BOTH have a bank card.Our friend had the
Account frozen immediately when her husband passed away,as the one and only card was in his name.

Karen4

Remember to also make sure you don't split your money into separate banks who have the same parent company, a this will only count as one bank in the event of an economic disaster, so only one parcel of money will be "covered".
Cl3880

Optomist

Quote from: FunkiDunki on April 01, 2015, 21:02:53 PM
I agree only bring over what you need to spend in say 12 months and leave the rest in the UK. Here in Spain only guaranteed 50,000€ if you bank goes under, also make sure you have two accounts one for you and one for your spouse, so for example up to 50,000€ each.

Think you will find its €100k per depositor but you are right if you have a joint account then depending on the account contract it could be 50k each account holder so better to have 2 separate accounts .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

FunkiDunki

I agree only bring over what you need to spend in say 12 months and leave the rest in the UK. Here in Spain only guaranteed 50,000€ if you bank goes under, also make sure you have two accounts one for you and one for your spouse, so for example up to 50,000€ each.

Sueandandyb

We are with Bmn was (Caja Granada) no charge

Linijo

Unicaja don't charge us for smallish transfers, but surprised us with a huge charge for them to receive around 100,000 euros when we bought the house (think it was around €170?)

skid112

I have deposited some reasonable sums over the last few months in Cajamar, not close to €170k. Some via transferwise, some from a UK Euro account. All of these transfers have been for over €1,000, the largest for €40,000 and none have had any charge applied. I cant see why they charge you to receive your own money. Staggering, maybe they have misunderstood and think they are transferring it, or changing from Sterling?

Optomist

I confused the issue mentioning Transfer wise as it was how our friends plan to do it bad grammar on my part , sorry , all i asked Cajamar was if there was a charge to receive money into any of our account using a direct electronic transfer and if so how much .

PandL

Well yes, the quote from cajamar's message implies there is a threshold of €50k, so if the money was transferred in 4 smaller transactions, maybe the fee could be lower, even zero. Worth asking cajamar!

BTW, in my limited experience, my small bank transfers via Transferwise arrive from a bank in Estonia, not directly from GB. I don't know if that would affect the cajamar fee, like to make it lower, probably not, but you never know!

:tiphat:

musicdonna

If the bank does charge, there might be a threshold, so you could consider transferring sums below that threshold.  With the exchange rate as it is, transferring funds into euros might not be such a bad idea providing it's cost effective...

zilnor

I agree with PhilipLloyd. Leave large amounts in the UK.

Optomist

Quote from: skid112 on March 31, 2015, 11:31:34 AM
astounding, I bank with Cajamar, have done since before buying the property, but I never got charged, nor do, for depositing money

Estimado Sr.********

En relación a su consulta de la transferencia indicar que existen dos posibilidades:
  - Realizar su transferencia desde Reino Unido y le realizan el cambio en el país de origen, nuestra entidad cobraría una comisión para transferencias superiores a 50.000€ , una comisión del 0,30% con un máximo de 175€ y un mínimo de 4,50 €.
  - Otra posibilidad es aperturar cuenta de divisas en este caso libras, la comisión por nuestra parte sería la misma pero tendría la posibilidad, posteriormente de cambiar a € cuando este le fuese favorable.

Sin otro particular a su disposición para cualquier duda, un saludo.

PhillipJLloyd

Personally I would leave any large sums of cash in a British bank account !

skid112

astounding, I bank with Cajamar, have done since before buying the property, but I never got charged, nor do, for depositing money

Optomist

We have been asked by a friends who are moving here in a few weeks to find which bank is he cheapest to receive euros from Transfer Wise .

Our friends have a house here so the bulk of the money about €170k would be just left in the bank so the bank would have use of it and as it a simple electronic transfer requiring no work by the bank it seems unbelievable that banks want to charge for accepting it , i would have thought it more appropriate for banks to pay for having it or a least not make a charge , considering they go to such great lengths to encourage people to deposit moneys with them .

We inquired at our Bank, Cajamar and they wanted €175 , no way will they pay that sort of money , they will open an account with whatever bank is cheapest so the bank would  benefit log term anyway .

Would be most grateful for any pointers to a more cost effective alternative other than bringing it over bit by bit in cash .