Town hall translator?

Started by LisaD, February 03, 2015, 17:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen4

Crikey,  forgot about the children!
Cl3880

BassBunny

Quote from: Karen4 on February 04, 2015, 22:42:21 PM
If I ever move back to the UK I'm going to tell them that, contrary to appearances, I'm a black, one-legged, lesbian Muslim. Looking forward to a life of luxury....
With 10 kids to support. :D

Karen4

Cl3880

webejamin

Quote from: Karen4 on February 04, 2015, 22:42:21 PM
I'm a black, one-legged, lesbian Muslim. Looking forward to a life of luxury....
Cor :tongue: sound exciting to me Karen, fancy a night out? ;D  :o

Karen4

If I ever move back to the UK I'm going to tell them that, contrary to appearances, I'm a black, one-legged, lesbian Muslim. Looking forward to a life of luxury....
Cl3880

LisaD

Quote from: Karen4 on February 04, 2015, 21:22:31 PM
Some local authorities in the UK pay up to £95 an hour for translators. The translators charge this....because they can. If, like me, you pay tax in the UK, that's YOUR money they're spending.

I'm in the same boat as you Karen, and it grates on me no end - but I just wish that just occasionally things worked out for us foreigners in Spain as well as they do for foreigners in the UK

Karen4

Some local authorities in the UK pay up to £95 an hour for translators. The translators charge this....because they can. If, like me, you pay tax in the UK, that's YOUR money they're spending.
Cl3880

gus-lopez

Quote from: LisaD on February 04, 2015, 19:00:59 PM

I wonder why the UK feels the need to do this but other EU countries do not?

Because for some reason all the politicians/local councils/other do-gooding muppets, feel the need to extend the hospitality of the UK to all & sundry scum from around the world on "behalf" of the people who elected them. For some reason they seem to think that this is what we all voted for over the years. Hasn't helped has it ? They are still stuck with a load of scum that just want the money, benefits,hate the UK , etc; etc; etc.
Oh & plus it's not their own ****ing money that is being used to pay for translators& council notices in 48 different languages. If it was , & they should all be personally liable, there'd  be English only.

LisaD

Well, I've attended classes, done the online thing and according to various "tests" I am classed as upper intermediate/advanced

However, all that goes out the window when I am at the doctors/town hall etc. and they throw me a verb/word/idiomatic expression or phrase that I'm not familiar with.

If I'd studied Spanish at school/university perhaps I'd be fluent by now - but the truth is I don't believe anyone over a certain age can ever be truly fluent in a foreign language, however much they try.

I can see Hawkeye's point as some of the classes I've attended are truly awful - better the money is spent on interpreters at town halls/doctors etc.

I wonder why the UK feels the need to do this but other EU countries do not?

Michaela Ann

Quote from: Queen Clare Shirley on February 04, 2015, 09:16:21 AM
Quote from: Hawkeye1 on February 04, 2015, 08:42:34 AM
I do not have any self control. If all the resources spent on teaching Brits to speak Spanish, which is largely a waste of money, was diverted into either providing interpreters or teaching the Spanish to speak English, things would be much better.

I know many Brits who have spent 100's of hours attending Spanish classes, and still can't speak the language. This is a combination of poor teaching and low ability of the students. Discuss.

Left speechless

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockymo

Necesito sufficente sólo de la del ldioma del país en que vivo

Google will translate this Spanish for those who wish to know !!

Tetley

Quote from: Hogs on February 04, 2015, 10:13:59 AM
When fly fishing it's all about the presentation of the fly ! J.R Hartley

looks like Hawks is gonna need a bigger keep net  :lol:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

doreen1

I do not have any self control. If all the resources spent on teaching Brits to speak Spanish, which is largely a waste of money, was diverted into either providing interpreters or teaching the Spanish to speak English, things would be much better.

I know many Brits who have spent 100's of hours attending Spanish classes, and still can't speak the language. This is a combination of poor teaching and low ability of the students. Discuss.

Please say you are joking :head

grp

Hawkeye1 is the kind of ex- pat I am ashamed of. This is not Britain, it is Spain.

Queen Clare Shirley

Left speechless
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

Tetley

I  thinkto be fair tho........it does help ....if your learn spanish... befor arrival in Spain,i never did,i get by,my mrs and lad did,both still come un stuck with certain words and phrases.

and the other old chestnut.... there are people whom will tell you they are fluent and understand all things................however stick a young non spaniard whom as been educated here next to them ,and it can pan out that there not mutch better than those of us,whom advice everybody if asked..... we dont speak spanish  :whistle:

wonk wonk nidge nidge  ;D
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Roger

I do not agree.
Arboleas Town Hall provides subsidised Spanish classes, which help to bring the community together.
Spanish children also learn English.
This way we create a united society in Arboleas.
The Town hall also employs mostly bilingual staff because we believe that the Town Hall should be a service to the whole community.
Of course we now face the issue of increasing numbers of other nationalities. However most of these are Belgian and generally they are Flemish and speak good English or Spanish.

Rod

There are posters in several languages, mostly high up and difficult to read, in health centres and hospitals saying that you are entitled to a translator in your language. Probably an EU law but totally useless.

Hawkeye1

alto dogs

Quote from: Karen4 on February 03, 2015, 18:47:46 PM
The only time you are entitled to a translator paid for by the State rather than privately by you is when you are charged with a criminal offence. EU law provides for free translators for people charged with crimes. For other circumstances, eg health matters, you pay privately. You DON'T pay for this in the UK because the UK is stupid enough to provide translators at vast expense to the public purse.
LIKE. TICK.

hank

I have been using the Arboleas Town Hall and the Doctors Surgery, on and off, for the last 7 years or so, and have not heard that either have an obligation to provide such a service.
Having said that, both have English speaking employees, so translation may not be too difficult, if English is required.
BoL. H.
If I had to live my life over, I'd live it over a pub.

Windows was unable to locate the requested file. Would you like a glass of wine instead?

Tetley

Thev gor enough on down the Big  hoose sorting banks  808   wi out every bxggxer running around talking English   :luv: ,when im on mi trollys in ASDA i dont start talking spanish ti punters.... ;D

Karen4

The only time you are entitled to a translator paid for by the State rather than privately by you is when you are charged with a criminal offence. EU law provides for free translators for people charged with crimes. For other circumstances, eg health matters, you pay privately. You DON'T pay for this in the UK because the UK is stupid enough to provide translators at vast expense to the public purse.
Cl3880

Norm2

Lisa by "wondering why" you are in danger of starting a debate!! I'm resisting the temptation. For your sake I hope everyone else manages the same self-control.

LisaD

Well that was short and sweet Norm, thanks :lol:

Just wondering why some town halls do and some don't, as it doesn't appear to have a lot to do with where clusters of "foreigners" live - and whether it was yet another Euro law that was largely being ignored

Norm2

LisaD

I believe that Mojacar/Arboleas town halls have in house translators

Does anyone know if this is a legal requirement at town halls and doctors etc?

Don't want a debate about whether or not they should be available, would just like some info without debate - many thanks :clap: