Which is the more economical

Started by cactusqueen, January 05, 2015, 11:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucie1

just heard on the radio andalucia has extended subsidy until june 2015 which to me was worth 800 euros

Lynne

Our solar heating is 200 litre and cost us 2,000€. Worth every penny.  We have never run out of hot water even with the family here all having showers/baths daily, plus the extra washing machine and dishwashing loads.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Karen4

We have a gas boiler and use about one small orange tank of gas every 3 to 4 weeks. This includes showers every day, washing up etc. We also have an outdoor solar shower which is great, and is no problem to use during the day, standing in very warm sun!
Cl3880

byrney

Yep.  I've never "bought" the argument of saving money, but the prospect of cold showers is a good enough reason for me! Thanks.

brucie1

fed up with 2nd or third in line cold shower and what is the point of all this sun if we dont take advantage of it im here to stay so unless i pass on early it will pay for itself eventually which hopefully will make later life cheaper and possible make the house easier to sell if the worst happened an we had to move

byrney

brucie1

even this last 7 weeks the electric heater has not been on once just moved in so no idea of normal electric useage but 4 showers a day dish washer and washing machine used and no shortage of water yet but i understand the 400 litre capacity is a large factor much smaller and you can run out   

byrney

That's interesting Brucie - don't think I've ever heard anybody say how much it costs for such a system.  How much do you reckon you save in electricity/gas bills?

Just trying to work our how many years to get your investment back (although I appreciate it's probably not just about saving money, as the availability of constant hot water must be a big bonus).

brucie1

there was a government subsidy until the end of december which i dont know if it has been extended and i believe there are cheaper systems but we went for a quality system by the people by lidls and paid about 2800 euros

Toffee Girl

Quote from: brucie1 on January 09, 2015, 07:54:35 AM
solar panels had a 400 litre system fitted november plenty of very hot water ever since

How much is this system please?

Rod

Our pressure is low but we use the pump from the water deposit which gives a great shower. You can get small deposits, maybe 1000 ltrs. pump assisted for not too much money. When we have had our showers we turn back to mains which does light the gas for the sink etc.

brucie1

solar panels had a 400 litre system fitted november plenty of very hot water ever since

Lynne

Solar panels for as much hot water as you want on demand.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Elgin

I'm sure cheapest way to heat water is by using an on demand gas water heater.  However, if you use butane (Repsol - orange bottles) and run them for a long time in the winter (e.g. a couple of long showers one after the other) especially once the bottle is less than half full, the butane liquid doesn't turn to gas fast enough so the water can run cold.  If you want a lot of hot water in the winter use propane (Repsol - orange bottles with black ring).

As far as heating the house is concerned a log burner (or maybe one of these new pellet burners) is the cheapest to run.  If you have an old house with thick walls it's not too hard to keep them warm if you stop the draughts.  If it's a newer place with thin walls then it takes a lot more to keep them warm.

cactusqueen

We use to have a Gas boiler but because our water pressure is bad in our area it would not always fire up so it became a pain and thats why we switched to electric you don't need the pressure. Was wondering if we could get a cover for the outside boilder would help to keep it warmer longer high in sight we should have have it put inside its just having the room in the kitchen.

alfore

You are right about Spanish houses but it is one of the things that we have to live with.  The cold weather is not here for long.  Think of the heating bills in the UK!
We have an instantaneous gas heater and it costs very little to run.  It's outside. 
I think that it would be better for you to cut your losses and get one because heating 80 litres every time you need a small amount is bound to be very expensive.

swithin

I find it cheaper to leave on constantly, my boiler is inside. Every time you heat the water from cold it uses a lot of electricity. We have changed to gas which is much cheaper as as only heating the water as you use it without limit to amount of water used.

cactusqueen

We have an 80 litre Electric Hot Water Heater outside the property which we have on timer for 2 hours 8-10.a.m. after two showers and washing a few dishes the water has gone cold and we either have to put it back on or boil a kettle, Our neighbours have a 50 litre electric boiler indoors and he leaves his heater on all day so has constant hot water.  I know the water that comes in the boiler is colder this time of the year therefore is that what is causing our Hot water to run out would we be best leaving the Water Heater on all day or  would we have a heart attack when we get the Electricity Bill. Also we go out most days because its is warmer outside than in the house like yesterday it was lovely down by the coast infact people were sunbathing on the beach in the nude we were sweating with clothes on, Why are these Spanish houses so cold and take ages to heat up should someone tell the Government that !  so we can get our Heating Allowance back for this winter Nick Clegg is married to a Spanish women she must know how cold it is in Spanish Houses especially of a night I think we should get a PETITION up. What do you think ?