Advice for a Wandering Minstrel

Started by nic.spato, January 04, 2015, 17:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nic.spato

Quote from: owdoggy on January 05, 2015, 13:37:14 PM
Quote from: nic.spato on January 04, 2015, 17:31:49 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm just putting out some feelers.
I'm coming to live in the area later in the year and I was wondering what the live music scene is like.
I'm a solo singer/guitarist, doing mostly 60, 70s material, I've played extensively for the past 10 years around London, Essex and also in The Canaries.
I'm kind of semi-retired, so not looking to do the 6 nights a week stints (been there and don't wanna go back !)
Just looking for one or two gigs a week, so my questions are:
Is there a healthy live music scene, bars, restaurants etc ?
Are there plenty of "mature" expats who will appreciate the stuff I do ?
I certainly don't want to tread on any toes, but would appreciate any tips from established entertainers in the area.
Thanks
Nic Spato

Welcome to the forum Nic & welcome to the area (when you get here :) )

I would say the answer to your two questions is yes (more so in the summer months).
We have some damn good acts locally, catering for a variety of tastes but it would be nice to have one more.......... the more the merrier eh ;D

I've been trying to retire for 5 years now..........I'm nearly there :lol:

Doggy

Hi Doggy....thanks for the response.
We are over between Jan 13th and 26th, hopefully to find a place to live.
I'll keep an eye on the forum and if there are any gigs about, so with a bit of luck, we'll come and have a look.
I guess you would describe me as a good all rounder....I aint gonna win the X Factor, but I have a good line of patter and I really enjoy what I do, which rubs off on the audience......been doing it for 45 years, so I should be reasonably OK by now !
Guys like us try to retire for years, then they carry us off stage in a wooden box !!

owdoggy

Quote from: nic.spato on January 04, 2015, 17:31:49 PM
I'm coming to live in the area later in the year and I was wondering what the live music scene is like.
I'm a solo singer/guitarist, doing mostly 60, 70s material, I've played extensively for the past 10 years around London, Essex and also in The Canaries.
I'm kind of semi-retired, so not looking to do the 6 nights a week stints (been there and don't wanna go back !)
I certainly don't want to tread on any toes, but would appreciate any tips from established entertainers in the area.
Thanks
Nic Spato

Welcome to the forum Nic & welcome to the area (when you get here :) )

I would say the answer to your two questions is yes (more so in the summer months).
We have some damn good acts locally, catering for a variety of tastes but it would be nice to have one more.......... the more the merrier eh ;D

I've been trying to retire for 5 years now..........I'm nearly there :lol:

Doggy

nic.spato

Thanks
Nic Spato