Boxing Day sales

Started by sleepy john, December 26, 2014, 19:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilnor

Don't blame it all on the supermarkets. Nobody is forced to go shopping on a Sunday. It is all about choices. Occasionally I have shopped on a Sunday in England and I see whole families together, much like a day out. I cannot imagine a more unenjoyable family day out.
We must all share the blame. Greed is at the root of it. Children receive much more than just one Christmas present . When I was a child, there  was one present from Father Christmas/ Parents and one from each set of grandparents. Why do today's kids receive so many ?  Many people get into debt . Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ, simples.

Rant over  :wave

webejamin

It's an accumulation of events I think. First in my memory was, women used to start work, then get married and bring up the family, dad went out to work and had Sunday off, except some essential workers. Then more and more industries started 7 day weeks. Equality for women was being fought and won slowly. Supermarkets started opening on Sundays and many women went to work part time. Then just about every kind of outlet was available 7 days a week and women were no longer just mothers, they were workers in their own right. More money coming in, meant more things to buy.
By the mid 80s many of the men were out of work while women were still working in most industries. Women were also counted as part of the unemployed stats.
The only conclusion I can therefore come to is, it's women's fault :whistle:
Where's my Mrs? out bleedin shopping ???      

nibbler

While I partially agree with you Phil. I have to say that if people didn't want to shop on a Sunday or were prepared to queue for the sales the shops wouldn't open.
It's a bit like which came first. The chicken or the egg. :tiphat:
Nibbler

byrney

You've said what I was reluctant to say Phil for the same reason!  But, being Pakistanis they weren't Christian, therefore Sunday was just another day to them.  But, "Christians" purchased their goods from them anyway!

felipe

Corner shops have always opened for a short period on a Sunday especially if they sold newspapers, they were seen to be proving a service to the local community and had been the mainstay of the community for many years until Tesco et al jumped in. When I owned  a newsagency in the early 80s we closed at about 3.00pm on a Sunday as did the most of the shops. The only ones that opened all all hours of every day were the ones run by Pakistanis. Before anyone jumps at me, that is NOT being racist that is fact. This was in Reading and Bridgwater.

webejamin

Totally agree felipe, once Sunday trading started in earnest, our family culture disappeared. It was the fat cats that wanted it, not the people, (fat cats never work Sundays). It was a death knell for the little local shops that did open on a Sunday. I can remember back to the late 50s, when they began lobbying for Sunday trading, with the onset of supermarkets, but they always got a knockback, but each time a little inroad was made. The likes of Tesco and M&S were the culprits. Of course it was a Christian tradition in the UK to uphold the day of rest, even if you weren't a practicing Christian, but by the 80s there was very little "Christian" about the UK.
There's more traffic out on the UK roads on a Sunday, than in the week these days. :(  

byrney

"The ones to lose out were the small grocery store / newsagent that held a few provisions such as milk, sugar etc for those that ran out on a Saturday".   You're probably right about that now Phil.

But, I seem to recall that it was the small "corner shops" who started all this by opening on Sundays, then opening late at night, then all night, which meant that the greedy supermarkets thought "we want a bit of that", got it, then it became the norm, and now once again the small traders are suffering.  Full circle.

Unfortunately though, I don't see many of us doing our weekly shop at the small retailers, or even not shopping out of office hours or on a Sunday, so we are all guilty.

BassBunny

Quote from: felipe on December 27, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
I disagree nibbler. When Sunday opening for supermarkets was first permitted it was because 'they' wanted it not the customers. Their research told them that opening on Sunday's would equate to more profit despite having to pay the staff time and a half or double time. And that has now been stopped by most stores for new employees. It was the beginning if the greed culture that swept through Britain from the mid 1980s.

The ones to lose out were the small grocery store / newsagent that held a few provisions such as milk, sugar etc for those that ran out on a Saturday.   

Beat me too it felipe. Even now the large store chains are whinging that if the stores are a certain size, they can only open 6 hours on Sunday whereas smaller stores can open almost as long as they like. They are looking for parity.

felipe

I disagree nibbler. When Sunday opening for supermarkets was first permitted it was because 'they' wanted it not the customers. Their research told them that opening on Sunday's would equate to more profit despite having to pay the staff time and a half or double time. And that has now been stopped by most stores for new employees. It was the beginning if the greed culture that swept through Britain from the mid 1980s.

The ones to lose out were the small grocery store / newsagent that held a few provisions such as milk, sugar etc for those that ran out on a Saturday.   

Rod

In has present managerial position my son normally gets every Sunday off. The previous job he was in, also as manager of a large retail company, he only got one Sunday off in 4 so not all the same. His staff also get to turn about but he does have a large amount of people working there so it allows for this. They have a lot of part timers who want to work weekends for the extra cash.

nibbler

It's all very well having a go at shops but who generated this need for 7 day a week opening. The general public of course. You can't blame the retailers for acceding to their demands. Things change and some people only have Sundays and late hours to shop due to the hours they work.I have always disagreed with Sunday opening I've  as I like Tets. think it should be a day of rest, but as they say needs must as the devil drives
I've known many people who work in retail and very often the benefits out way the draw backs. Extra pay days in lieu.
Nibbler :tiphat:

villegas

Agree Tetley
I also believe that the internet has a lot to answer for.
People think that proper real life shops should be open 24 hours just like the on line ones are
x

Tetley

Personally speaking,i was at the retail 7 day week shopping lark,out of choice i would make the uk a 6 day opening to keep sundays family special,im not all Harry Secombed stars on Sundays up,i just think were drowing in a sea of Materialism funded by new printed money that at some point will need re paying at a lot bigger  price than  that the printer charged.

id also go back to the old  uk pub hours as well.

hey ho,progress is in the eye of the beholders of it or folks trying to market it.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Rod

My son is the manager of a well known retailer in the North east of England. He had to be in work this morning at 5:30 for but he did have Christmas day off to be with his 3 children and was home by 1:30pm to spend more time with them.
He has no complaints, he has good hours, 37.5 a week, and considers his company to be among the best. He is well treated by them and is grateful that he has a job that can provide for him and his family, in fact he considers himself very lucky.
By the way his fellow workers generally feel the same way he does but not all companies treat their staff as well.

Karen4

Greed, fuelled by the media with their "must have" bargains. I can save you €100s or even €1000s on the sales....don't participate! If you really want something order online and stay away from the melee.
Cl3880

villegas

Shopping is now classed as a hobby
:head

Tetley

I think the problem is....shop workers are seem now as the 4th emergency service ie shops must be open 365 days per year to help maintain  the UK   genral personal finance over spend/ meltdown to support the banks.

:crazy:

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

sleepy john

I've been watching the news of all the shops open today, some opening as early as 06:00. This has really p*****d me off. Shop workers work so hard at Christmas time and are then denied a well earned break. I don't understand why the trade unions fail to ensure shop workers rights. As for the hordes who throng to these sales, what is wrong with them. Why can't they spend their Christmas break with friends and family like normal people do.