nibbler

Stink bombs in the local cinema during matinee. Oh what fun :clap:
Nibbler ;D

Lizzie1201

Happy Christmas to you and Sharron 🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅

webejamin

Appy Christmas to you too :tiphat:

felipe

I have to say that this is one of the best threads ever to grace the forum. Everyone is being so nice and friendly.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL FROM ME AND SHARRON. XXXX

MELEE

Christmas Eve as we went to bed and being told that if HE came early we were not to open any pressies until morning or they would all turn to ashes
and in the morning finding a bit of his beard caught on the bedroom door (cotton wool of course) and muddy boot prints infront of the big black range
in the kitchen

webejamin

And not forgetting Father Christmas ;D he came to check up on our behaviour last night ;D

zilnor

I remember it all. Plus going fishing in the river with a stick and a bit of string tied on the end. And getting a smack from mum if you fell in the water and got your one and only pair of shoes wet. And going tadpoling with jam jars and taking a couple home. My friends and I actually managed to see a big tadpole turn into a small frog. Our mums insisted we take the frog back to othe river. Oh happy days ! Don't forget playing conkers !

sandy b

How nice to have a nice friendly post of us all reminiscing and not one snide remark, love it.
Thank you forum and here's hoping all the mods and people involved, especially Phil and family have an enjoyable Christmas and a very prosperous New Year. Thanks for all your hard work.
Sandy

Lizzie1201

Yeah, good old days and  :lol:
Oh yeah nearly forgot penny for the guy :lol:

felipe

Ahhh Saturday morning pictures.  & kids two go in through the front door and pay. When lights go down one pops down to the fire escape doors and lets the rest in for free. The manager knew it went on and just let us get away with it so long as some of us paid. Watching films made by the Children's Film Foundation. Loads of Norman Wisdom movies. Great fun.

Lizzie1201

Walking to the cinema on a Saturday morning in Camden town with my mates.
Being able to get through a hole in the fence at London Zoo.
Being able to play out all day long and being safe.
Lots of freedom.
Liz

byrney

"Getting a Jacobs club milk biscuit, nibbling around the edges and then discovering it was solid, very rare" - oooh, Macc, I remember that now!  Does this ever happen nowadays I wonder?

macc

Getting a Jacobs club milk biscuit, nibbling around the edges and then discovering it was solid, very rare. The chocolate seperating from the toffee and falling off your curlywurly because it was stretching as you tried to bite off a piece. 3p for an Aztec bar, and 3 for a bar of Frys. Happy days.

felipe

Playing football or cricket on Wimbledon Common until dark with no fear of being draged home by mum for fear of being molested.
Wrapping 6 bangers together and putting them in a milk bottle turn it upside down and quickly ram it into the ground and run!!
Throw bangers into a wasps nest and get stung all over the neck, my mate' mum had one of those blue bags that used to go in with the washing and dabbed it all over my neck worked a treat :) Looked like a bloody smurf!

Fag cards up against the and flick em down by throwing another at them. Go to watch Chelsea on my own with my mate at the age of 10 where we were moved along with all the other kids in the Shed End down to wall surrounding the dog track. Travelled 5 miles to School from Putney to Clapham Common via 3 busses at age 11. What kid would be allowed to do that these days?

I am sure we all have endless tales to tell and I am sure that we really did enjoy ourselves a bit more. But kids today enjoy themselves in different ways, trouble is they do it on their own in the security of the home. The only interaction they have with their peers is at school or with siblings.

MELEE

Oh God I never nicked anything but I remember being allowed to go into Manchester with4 friends, we were all about 11 at the time.  One of them Brenda Bickerstaff had dozens of siblings and was a right rum ******.   We went into a store called Henrys and were, I thought, innocently strolling round looking at all the goodies on display when a man came up and put his hand on Brendas shoulder and said we all had to go with thim.   He took us to the office and honest to God I thought I sh1t my knickers when he told Brenda to empty her pockets and out came brooches, gloves and stockings.   As we were all together we all got a warning but I never ever went anywhere with her again, the thought of what my mother would have done to me if I had been caught stealing was the biggest deterrent I could ever have.

sleepy john

Nicking stuff from Woolies, getting into fights, coming home covered in muck and getting a clout round the earhole. It was all great fun. Nowadays kids seem to be wrapped in cotton wool.

rt21

This thread has brought back some happy memories. An open fire and toasting bread in front of it with a small fork. Ouch I can still feel the heat on my finger tips

Also remember having to shovel cow dung in a bag for my dad's tomato plants. Only he didn't give me any tools for scraping it up and in those days there were no such thing as marigolds. Really couldn't see my boy agreeing to do that unpleasant task The only incentive I had for doing it was to avoid a clip round the ear.

Happy days

Richard

MELEE

And how did we ever get to the beach and back without a satnav, mobile phone, ipad etc etc

macc

Imagine, only 1 telly in the house, no phone. People queued to use the phone box at the end of the street. Summer time playing in the fields, it was always like lord of the flies, packed into the car, off to the beach, no seat belts, sisters covering themselves with baby oil, SPF was only prescribed for albinos. My teacher smoked in the classroom, **** , how did we survive.

MELEE

Yes remember them all plus we made berry guns out of a bit of wood and strong elastic band, bit of harmless fun till my cousin Kevin started to fire small tacks! then WE ALL got a smack round the ear and the guns ended up as kindling to start the fire - that was the open fire in the living room, only source of heat in the house, where we would sit toasting bread and crumpets on a long fork and then grew sleepy as we watched ' the fairies' dancing up the chimney.

sandy b

Hopscotch, skipping, jacks, yo yos, being a shopkeeper and bashing bits of rocks and bricks into powder to sell as sugar and flour etc in the shop. Marbles, playing rounders in the street, playing knock and run, chucking sticks up the conker trees and then playing conkers. Making strange objects with paper mâché. We used an old cotton bobbin with 4 nails in the top and threaded wool,around the nails and low and behold a long wooly thing came out the end like a long very thin scarf. Eeh them were the days. You didn't need money in those days we made our own fun. eeh by gum I'm feeling me age now.
Sandy
😭

webejamin

Would we have been different if we had telly's and pooters bought for us by Mum and Dad? We were generally better off than our parents were, but I'm glad I saw and did the things I did, before it all disappeared. ;D

telcaz

Hey macc, I remember all of the above, but many many years ago, I wouldn't want to be a child growing up now.
                                                                                          Terry.

macc

That made me laugh, bushes.  :clap:

webejamin

I think you're right macc, but I suppose it's our generation that stopped it all. Safety first and all that, more awareness of perverts around, we didn't want our kids getting hurt. Schools became more PC. more traffic about, I could go on I spose. I had a great time setting fire to bushes ;D

macc

Do you remember thing,s you did as a kid, that kids today just don,t seem to do. like, building dens, and playing outside until it was dark, or playing football on the road with jumpers as goalposts. Trying to climb the most difficult and biggest trees. Stealing from orchards, Getting a slap sometimes for trying these things. kick the can, hide and seek that went on all day. Looking for old prams  to make a go cart. Having bike races with bikes you made from what you got for free with no brakes or tyres, foot brake only with grooves worn through the sole of your shoe, and a lollipop stick placed with precision into the back spokes to make it sound like a motor. Didn't need a saddle because you were too small and learned to cycle with your leg under the cross bar. Garden hedge hopping or collecting bees, or shuggies. Collecting glass bottles to bring back to the shops for a few pence. My kids done none of these things, well maybe building dens and the go cart making. In another 20 years will kids even venture outside. I remember it all as being brilliant and energetic and fun  Do you think kids today are missing out, what do you remember doing as a kid that kids just don,t do anymore.