windows defender

Started by PhillipJLloyd, September 03, 2014, 18:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethalcreation

if i was you  i would uninstall Norton and download AVG or avast which are both free anti viruses but are alot better then norton :)

PhillipJLloyd

We have now updated to Windows 8.1 and got rid of Norton. (Remember to turn Defender on when updated as it is turned off.)
Now will wait and see if defender does its job. Hope so. 

Optomist

Quote from: compton on September 04, 2014, 11:47:57 AM

Side note..if you are running Windows 8 then you really should consider upgrading to 8.1, its free from either Windows update or the Windows store

We were prompted to update our laptops from 8 to 8.1 after we did it on one of them we found it much better to use , i didn't like 8 before so stuck to 7 on the other ones but now I'm happy using either .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

compton

Your computer did not 'Download' Defender without your knowledge / permission, Windows defender, previously known as Microsoft Security essentials, is hard coded into the operation system of Windows 8 & 8.1 and is sometimes turned off by the manufacturer of the machine so they could install Norton or Mcafee, they rely on the fact that many people will happily run with these for the trial period (although most people are not aware it's a trial until it expires) then they end up following the onscreen instructions and purchasing a copy after 90 days.

You say that you installed Norton, If you were advised to purchase Antivirus software when you purchased the machine as it was needed then you were misled.

If you remove the Norton installation you will find that Defender tries to start automatically, it will just ask you update it and run a system scan.

Side note..if you are running Windows 8 then you really should consider upgrading to 8.1, its free from either Windows update or the Windows store
2 men in a bar, the first asks for a H2o. His mate says I'll have an H2o too. The mate  dies!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
If nobody comes from the future to stop you doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

RedEyes

I think many people who understand this stuff will agree that Norton is rubbish and getting rid of it is likely to be your best option, no matter what replaces it.

PhillipJLloyd

Hi all, especially computer wizards
We have a laptop with Windows 8 on. When we bought it New we put Norton 360 security on it.
Since then Windows seems to have downloaded defender onto the laptop, which seems to have taken over from Norton 360.
Can this happen and if so is defender as good as Norton 360.
Any help and advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks
Phillip