Main Menu

Routers

Started by northwichvics, January 04, 2014, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trucker

I have two Yaggi aerials, they when connected to one house can throw the signal to the other one well over a mile away to give internet to that second house, reason for two is that you can have a router in second house and have wifi all round that house too, I used them when we shared the internet before we could get it ourselves, they work extremely well.
You could buy these from me quite cheaply, they still on the houses but I could soon get them down..even know someone who could set them up for you..have to say though I think they need to be in sight of each other..

Elgin

Hi northwichvics

I am no technical expert but I suspect that this is extremely unlikely. 

Firstly, have you thought about what you are asking for - a wifi transmitter that can cover a small city!  (5km radius = 78 Sq Km).  Would you really want thousands of people trying to access your internet!

Second, how would you use it - it's no good having the router transmit 5 kms if your laptop, tablet or mobile can only transmit back a few tens of metres - there has to be two way communication for wifi to work

Third to transmit over such a distance would mean a very powerful transmitter which would be very expensive and probably illegal in the radio frequency used for wifi.

northwichvics

Is it possible to buy a router with a radius of 5Kms over hilly ground, not mountains?