1.9 Satellite dish

Started by Heather Reed, September 18, 2013, 14:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

There are several ways you can avoid the problem of internet decay. With my Android box I can record programmes through filmon, up to 10 hours for free. These are recorded in HD for no extra charge. I also have XBMC on the box. I can download films or TV series to a flash drive or hard drive ( at off peak times ) and watch later, no worry then if the internet goes down.

Cielos

Quote from: ColinC on September 25, 2013, 15:35:20 PM
Quote from: Cielos on September 24, 2013, 19:07:35 PM
Quote from: ColinC on September 18, 2013, 17:23:29 PM
Olive 25 on here supplied and fitted ours...In all teh bad weather we have never lost a channel which we did as a matter of course in thunder storms with our previous dish..

Colin

You must have solar too Colin, our power goes out at the first rumblings of thunder :lol:

Actuall we have! No power cuts here! :lol: :lol: :clap:

I'm green with jealousy right now :alien:

byrney

ColinC

Quote from: byrney on September 25, 2013, 18:36:59 PM
But Mr O'Leary would be pleased Colin!! :clap:

yes he would! but I haven't got a problem with him! He says what he thinks!.An ideal choice for commuters! Not a very good one for those who want part the flight to be part of the holiday!..But that is another thread!!

byrney

But Mr O'Leary would be pleased Colin!! :clap:

ColinC

Quote from: brucie1 on September 25, 2013, 16:18:46 PM
perfect telly no power cuts you must be another uk member LOL

Nope..here just outside Taberno!! Commuting from the UK to the shop in Albox would be one hell of a commute!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

musicdonna

Thanks, Byrney!  I get a bit lost sometimes...!

brucie1

perfect telly no power cuts you must be another uk member LOL

ColinC

Quote from: Cielos on September 24, 2013, 19:07:35 PM
Olive 25 on here supplied and fitted ours...In all teh bad weather we have never lost a channel which we did as a matter of course in thunder storms with our previous dish..

Colin

You must have solar too Colin, our power goes out at the first rumblings of thunder :lol:

Actuall we have! No power cuts here! :lol: :lol: :clap:

Cielos

Colin

byrney

Sorry Dave, but one of the main puroposes of a Forum is to exchange information, as well as have discussions about life in general.

I hope you're not suggesting that a few people using this Forum actually prevents people from working?  I wold have thought that "off-yer-Facebook", Twitter etc was more guilty of that.

Donna, I think the question has already been answered by Graeme, about potential problems with everyone streaming telly at the same time.

From what he's saying it looks like that this will be the case unless "local" ISPs can pay for expensive upgrades - which will, no doubt, inevitably have to be passed on to the customers.

Not_Asking_Much

I'm not sure I'd go as far as Dave22 telling everyone off for daring to use HIS interweb thingy, but there probably is much to be said for television dying the death altogether.

Mostly it's a tool of the modern world of consumerism, coupled with the awful blight of affluenza which has stricken the English speaking countries.

How a lot of people would rediscover what life is about! Families might talk, who knows?

How little they knew when they wrote this:
Got thirteen channels of s**t on the TV to choose from
Pink Floyd, Nobody Home.

My apologies to Heather Reed for the thread creep...

musicdonna

Great idea, Colin, and as we sit by the light of the moon eating paella, drinking our wine and beer, and enjoying each other's company, a corporate revelation will descend... hey, this is much, much nicer than Corrie or Ennerdale, and there'll be a queue of people who want to rip out their satellites and volunteer to hold the next feast at their house...  Wotif...?!

ColinC

Quote from: Not_Asking_Much on September 24, 2013, 13:16:01 PM
A good summary thanks Graeme. (just my humble opinion of course)

Currently you can put €50ish into a streaming box, or (I understand) €(4 figures) into a big dish. If neither works in a few months' time I know which I prefer. The box however turns your TV into a smart TV. Not sure what you can do with the big dish afterwards – sunshade maybe?

Swithin, it doesn't look as though a guarantee is coming, which is fair enough. That must help you in making a decision.

We should probably remember it's just television we're talking about, and often pretty dismal television at that.  8)

Ah well if it doesn't work out I can always use my big dish to make paella for the village! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave22

Yes, the internet will be ****ed up by the jeremy kyle, corrie, emmerdale, bb, watching dim barstewards who only surface to ask , how do i Get free healthcare?/ do I need to tax my car ? /what time does the chinese open? / where do I get a mop handle?
& then wonder why the people who actually need the internet to work/run a business/earn money , give them a tongue lashing!

musicdonna

Isn't our broadband connection going to grind to a total halt as everyone tries to download/ stream stuff at the same time?

Not_Asking_Much

A good summary thanks Graeme. (just my humble opinion of course)

Currently you can put €50ish into a streaming box, or (I understand) €(4 figures) into a big dish. If neither works in a few months' time I know which I prefer. The box however turns your TV into a smart TV. Not sure what you can do with the big dish afterwards – sunshade maybe?

Swithin, it doesn't look as though a guarantee is coming, which is fair enough. That must help you in making a decision.

We should probably remember it's just television we're talking about, and often pretty dismal television at that.  8)

ColinC

Quote from: busybusy on September 23, 2013, 19:18:18 PM
Im only concerned that those of us who are willig to pay for a bigger dish will find were deprived of the reliable internet service that we also pay for by those using the internet for TV .  :head

Yes that is the point I was trying to make earlier , in a roundabout way! My internet is as important if not more so than the telly.. I have both the larger dish and the ability to watch via the internet.. If push comes to shove I will watch Spanish TV with decoded sub titles on obscure channels rather than lose my internet connection! Mind you I don't know how the other half would feel about not seeing corrie norrie!

busybusy

Im only concerned that those of us who are willig to pay for a bigger dish will find were deprived of the reliable internet service that we also pay for by those using the internet for TV .  :head

musicdonna

I'm doing nothing at all until I see what the result will be from the new satellite!

ColinC

Quote from: byrney on September 23, 2013, 16:25:41 PM
I don't understand the point about if people start streaming TV then everybody's internet will slow down.

Surely,a good majority of the World's populatuon is on the internet at any given time with no apparent problems.  Surely a few thousand ex-pats suddenly watching a bit of telly isn't going to slow the WWW down is it?  Or is the problem with "localised" ISPs as opposed to the bigger ones like BT, Vodaphone etc?

From how I understand it, it is the infrastructure that might not cope, I was told the other day that one of the new ISP's in the area has stopped selling the TV boxes already because of the load on their network.. The "bit of telly" as you put it, is the point, TV uses huge amounts of data. For example, we have CCTV around the house and when we used the house as a holiday home (7 years ago now) we used to monitor the cameras from the UK. At that time the only internet I could get was via satellite, it was very expensive and had limits on data consumption, you could really tell when we looked at the cameras the data allowance disappeared very rapidly, I estimated about 20 times faster than "normal" browsing at that time.. I believe that local loads can affect local speeds, and that in the larger cities the capacity is greater..

Lets just hope that the ISP's can afford to extend their networks at the rate demand grows.. I think the other thing is that web sites in general now use a lot more data (due to complex sites ) than they used to say 10 years ago..

It would be nice to hear from any ISP's out there that might want to enlighten us..

byrney

I don't understand the point about if people start streaming TV then everybody's internet will slow down.

Surely,a good majority of the World's populatuon is on the internet at any given time with no apparent problems.  Surely a few thousand ex-pats suddenly watching a bit of telly isn't going to slow the WWW down is it?  Or is the problem with "localised" ISPs as opposed to the bigger ones like BT, Vodaphone etc?

ColinC

Quote from: byrney on September 20, 2013, 21:54:09 PM
Hi Gary,

There still appears to be a deal of cynicism amongst people about what/will not happen once the new kit is up in the air, and what will/will not be needed for us to have continued viewing.

The root of this stems from what people percieved to be scaremongering by some unscrupulous people who seemed to be trying to make a fast buck (I believe this may still be going on).

Whilst I fully respect the opinions of professionals such as yourself I intend to wait and see what happens and then find out what I need without having unecessary expense.

As well as upgrading my current equipment, one option that I will be looking at will be streaming from my PC onto my TV.

However, in your earlier post you say "I just hope for some the internet options do not slow down the everyday use of others , when the signal does indeed become smaller".

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Are you saying that because so many people are trying to download at the same time, things will slow up making it impossible to stream?  If so, that ceases to be a viable option.

Being a bit of a gadget man I have always tried to keep up on technology..as a result I bought some time ago a 3D surround sound system, the other week it blew up so I have treated myself to a new one and this one happens to have built in a Android computer which allows video streaming as discussed on here as an alternative to Freesat / Sky . Whilst it is interesting to see what you can get with these systems, including UTube etc etc, the picture quality is nowhere near as good as the Sat signal, especially the HD content. I checked out some of the HD internet content yesterday and the picture became pixelated and freezing up .. I have a 4MB download and a 1mb upload, so I think that unless you have an 8MB download at least, you might not be very happy with the result. Then what happens when a large number of people attempt to download at the same time, perhaps a big footie match for example? I suspect that the ISP's won't be able to cope with their existing contention ratio, and the same will happen, frozen picture and a general slowing of the internet...

That is not to say that in the future the bandwidth of the internet will grow and be able to cope, lets hope so as from a selfish point of view I use the internet a lot and remember when it was so slow you could go and make a cup of tea whilst waiting for an email to download!

byrney

olive25

Quote from: byrney on September 20, 2013, 21:54:09 PM
Hi Gary,

There still appears to be a deal of cynicism amongst people about what/will not happen once the new kit is up in the air, and what will/will not be needed for us to have continued viewing.

The root of this stems from what people percieved to be scaremongering by some unscrupulous people who seemed to be trying to make a fast buck (I believe this may still be going on).

Whilst I fully respect the opinions of professionals such as yourself I intend to wait and see what happens and then find out what I need without having unecessary expense.

As well as upgrading my current equipment, one option that I will be looking at will be streaming from my PC onto my TV.

However, in your earlier post you say "I just hope for some the internet options do not slow down the everyday use of others , when the signal does indeed become smaller".

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Are you saying that because so many people are trying to download at the same time, things will slow up making it impossible to stream?  If so, that ceases to be a viable option.

obviously

byrney

Hi Gary,

Cielos

I remember our first sat dish in the 80's

Used to get all manner of weird stuff from all over the world - something new every time ;D

Cielos

Gary, may be a stupid question, but what difference does a motorised dish make?  I am assuming that if the new dish is big enough to receive the new signal (when they eventually come online) then a motorised dish is unnecessary?

DONK

Quote from: olive25 on September 18, 2013, 18:05:58 PM
Quote from: swithin on September 18, 2013, 18:00:12 PM
Spectrum radio said today that terrestrial stations have been confirmed as not transmitting on new footprint !. So only time will tell.

So how is channel 5 & ch4 HD etc etc transmitting from there new location.

oh spetrum the godfather of bu****it
Ha HA IF BULL**** HAD WINGS SPECTRUM WOULD BE A SQUADRON LEADER

Jim1544

Gary...........Your a star, always brilliant prompt service, Personally I will wait and see what happens if and when this new satellite gets off the ground, then , any problems........GARY....HELPPPPPPP, a true professional  :clap:
When you fall over and have to grab at the grass to stop yourself falling off the planet, Then you KNOW your really drunk

swithin

It is the terms of the guarantee I am enquiring about?. This is a genuine enquiry as I am looking for a professional who is able to offer such a guarantee.

olive25

Contact number on bottom of post , I am not getting into any
Discussions , if my work guarantee is not good enough I would
Appreciate people go elsewhere .

swithin

Olive 25 if you can guarantee all channels on new foot print or money back I will have one if you give me a contact number.

olive25

Quote from: swithin on September 18, 2013, 18:00:12 PM
Spectrum radio said today that terrestrial stations have been confirmed as not transmitting on new footprint !. So only time will tell.

So how is channel 5 & ch4 HD etc etc transmitting from there new location.

oh spetrum the godfather of bu****it

olive25

May i ask why colin would not be happy , if anyone cared to listen to a professional & not all the gossips who know very little , then maybe just maybe you would understand.

Its all going to change ASTRA 2F is identical to 2E so footprint shall be more or less spot on just ask the real professionals , not the ones on the radio etc who say the satellite went up on the 15th , when indeed its still on terra firma.

We shall see what happens i just hope for some the internet options do not slow down the everyday use of others , when the signal does indeed become smaller ( spot beam ).

Colin & many others please enjoy your continued viewing.

Gary