PELLET BURNER

Started by windug, September 07, 2013, 10:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cielos

Quote from: Lynne on September 08, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
Quote from: Cielos on September 08, 2013, 09:31:58 AM
If you have a dependable electric supply (or backup) then I can't see any disadvantages, apart from it not looking as nice as a wood burner

It depends which one you get.  Ours is fitted into a marble fireplace and looks lovely, much nicer looking than any stand-alone log burner.

Sorry Lynne, will have to disagree with you on that :wave

Ours was a fairly ugly manchine (I seen some quite attractive models in Acar), but it's more when it's switched on really - for  us, it just didn't compare to a flickering fire

Just my opinion

Pellet supply is also an issue - there are plenty of cheaper (and inferior) pellets out there - which may invalidate your guarantee if anything goes wrong with the machine

They can also be very expensive to repair once out of warranty (if such a thing really exists here)  lots of electrical parts to go wrong

wicking2006

A friend has one with central heating, very expensive when they go wrong as has theirs, also theirs is expensive to run., log burner may be dusty but well worth it. We use approx. 2 loads per year, cant be bad, about 300e to be warm day and night, log burner keeps in over night.

cantabrian

A Pellet stove may be ok ,BUT , if the supply of pellets goes pear shape ?  (screw could go wrong ,electrics ditto  etc )you will have no heating !! Wood anytime !!!

Lynne

Quote from: Cielos on September 08, 2013, 09:31:58 AM
If you have a dependable electric supply (or backup) then I can't see any disadvantages, apart from it not looking as nice as a wood burner

It depends which one you get.  Ours is fitted into a marble fireplace and looks lovely, much nicer looking than any stand-alone log burner.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Chris485

Very happy with ours for over four years now. The only slight downside is the noise of the fan. You just have to turn the TV up a bit!
Chris
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Cielos

Lynne

We've had our backup battery for 3 years now - still going strong.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

Lone Wolf

I agree with tandas, we had one  for 18 months, no smells easy to clean they look good and you don't have to buy a truck load of wood!!, however we changed ours  for a fan assisted log fire as the pellet burner would only throw out enough heat for the lounge, we did buy a back up battery but they only last a short time so you still have to the pellet fire down in a power cut ....6 and 2 threes really.....

Lynne

Ditto - almost word for word.

tandas

We have had a pellet burner from the start.  No chopping or carrying wood keep enough pellets in the house for each night turn on and off as necessary so no waste.  We have an old hoover to clean it up in the morning.  Hardly any mess and ready to go in minutes.  We bought a bulk delivery 2 years ago and we are still using them the bags are handy for garden rubbish as well.  Keeps us nice and warm and looks good the flame is as good as a wood to look at.  Only disadvantage is if power cut but you can fit a backup battery for that also you can get a remote that switches it on via phone for when you are out and want to come home to warm welcome.  Got ours with the discount from Acar near Meson Irenes serviced every year by them can't fault it.

windug

We are considering changing our Wood Burner for a Pellet Burner. Can anyone give advice on the advantages
   or otherwise of such a change, as regards efficiency, economy, cleanliness and ease of use etc? 

Thanks in advance, windug.