Removing Scratches from Black Granite

Started by Optomist, June 24, 2013, 08:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not_Asking_Much

In order of 'kindness' to the surface I'd try:

Toothpaste
Smoker's Toothpaste
Regipol – which is cerium oxide powder (mix with water to a paste) available on eBay

Then probably finish off (if necessary) with jeweller's rouge for a mirror finish.

A power tool with a polishing head will save on the elbow grease. The cerium oxide is a bit fierce, so go easy with it and check results frequently. If power polishing with it, pause frequently to allow cooling.

Optomist

Looking for an everyday household product that will remove light scratches from a piece of Black Granite . I've tried Brass polish but it didn't work , the granite company that closed sometime ago used to touch a block of something to a polishing wheel on an electric drill to the edges of something he had rounded the with a grinder and it would take out the grinder marks and leave it smooth and shinny so i was hoping there would be something we might have about the house that would have the same effect .

Being Black the marks are more noticeable however they cant be any more than the thickness of the polished surface , so light infarct that i cant feel anything when i run my hail over them .

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .