Help with Funeral expenses

Started by Optomist, June 02, 2013, 08:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bad John

:police: When we first moved here 7 years ago we took out a funeral plan, it was quite expensive but covers absolutely everything and we paid by monthly instalments over quite a long time. After reading these post I can only tell you what peace of mind that we have got, knowing that when we dive for the last time all is looked after. All our family have a little card informing them of what to do including the undertaker when the klaxon goes. 'The Ping Bosun' :tiphat:
BigBadJohn.

Tetley

intresting thanks..... the reason ive asked is because mi mam in the UK  has said she does not want a funral she just wants to be taken to the furnace with no fuss,her wishes not mine and I just wondered if you could do the same here.   :tiphat:

im 33 % Norwegian..... 33 % irish and the rest is Yorkshire... so I think I will ask for  the rambler to be floated,a long boat fired & sailed,followed by a Guiness,and costs to be kept to a minimum    :)
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

mickandjan

When my Dad died he was collected from the hospital by the undertakers then cremated next day, at a crematorium near Almeria.  No service etc and it still cost around 3,000 euros.

I wouldn't imagine there is any law that says you can't do it all yourself, but it does seem a bit undignified....and would be very upsetting to have to deal with a loved ones body.

I believe a tanatorio is simply an undertakers not a crematorium.

Tetley

Quote from: byrney on June 04, 2013, 08:15:39 AM
They could chuck you in my shed for a couple of days Tetley - I´d do it for half price at €50 - I know what you´re like for a bargain....

or perhaps just hire a jcb for an hour....... however it is a serious question..... if folks dont want any form of service.... can the body be dropped off at the furnace and the ashes collected ?

ie die in hospital ,body dropped off,furnace,urn.

:tiphat:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

They could chuck you in my shed for a couple of days Tetley - I´d do it for half price at €50 - I know what you´re like for a bargain....

Tetley

I thought the nearest furnace was Almeria ? hence my question ie somebody not wanting a service & box dying in hospital could just get dropped off at the furnace end or just pay the undertaker to be dropped off there.

Optomist

Almeria ? , there are tanatorios closer than that Tetley , theres one in Albox and another in Huercal overa . As far as im aware a funeral director still has to be involved to make the arrangements , transport etc unless your familiar with everything , even storage is around €100 a day . In answer to your question there doesn't have to be a service .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

Tetley

genuine question.

have you got to have a funeral ? or could you just ask for your body to be sent for creamation in Almeria ? ie no service,no box,then just get a family member to collect the earn.

byrney

This is a very sad tale, but then so is every death.

Having had a near death experience myself recently, my wife was so grateful that we had covered ourselves for that eventuality, and the hospital even took all the documents from her in readiness for them to deal with the whole thing.

Thankfully, as this post proves, it was not needed!

Initially we had baulked at the idea of a funeral plan / insurance mainly due to the incredibly high and prohibitive costs quoted by certain companies, (although like many we also didn´t really want to face our own mortality).  Thank God we did.

We pay €20 a month (for both of us) which provides us with the basics that this poor lady/gentleman now needs, and, more importantly, gives us the peace of mind that when something happens to either of us that is one thing we don´t have to worry about.

I sincerely hope the spouse gets the assistance s/he needs.

shadeseeker

Having worked for the DSS some time ago ,there used to be a funeral grant but they required the person who makes the claim to be in receipt of a qualifying benefit. income support,tax credits and a few others but not state pension. Many people believed,incorrectly ,that if the person who died was getting benefits then they could claim. sadly this is not the case,not unless things have changed recently. you may be able to get a bereavement payment.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

Optomist

Thank you Penfold and Gus , i will pass it on once i have taken another look . The person didnt work here and has been a UK pensioner for a couple of years so im sure there wouldn't be any help from the Spanish authorities  . Unfortunately they were both UK pensioners which from what i have read on a link Gus provided changes the entitlement situation but does open up another avenue to explore .

gus-lopez

Quote from: penfold on June 02, 2013, 08:46:07 AM
There are two principle benefits to which they may be entitled the first is a one off payment for help with funeral costs which is paid as a lump sum, a friend recently lost her partner over here and got that so they should be able to get it, details are on the government website as to how to apply, but it may need a trip to the uk to fill in the forms, i believe that it is around the £2000 mark, the other is  what we all used to know as widow/widowers pension, this is only available to those who live in the uk and is only for a 12 month period.

No that isn't quite correct. The widow/ers benefit is available to any UK citizen , wherever they live , for the 12 month period. I read it only recently. I'll see whether I can find it.
In addition it might be possible to claim bereavement allowance which would possibly be paid until pension age but you need to contact the ;
International Pensions Centre to see whether you qualify.
Department for Work and Pensions
Bereavement and widows' benefits
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE98 1BA

http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/76-can-i-claim-uk-benefits-if-i-am-widowed-in-spain.html

Another thing is that if they have ever worked in Spain & paid in they would be entitled to a widow/widowers pension paid until spanish state pension age.
http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/184-how-to-claim-a-widow-or-widowers-pension-in-spain.html

& spanish government site( in english);

http://www.seg-social.es/Internet_6/Masinformacion/TramitesyGestiones/Prestacionesdemuert45659/Pensiondeviudedad/index.htm

CT

Is it worth a phone call to the British embassy in Madrid as I'm sure they will have information.I will PM you with the phone no.

Optomist

This is a difficult one to know where to post so i apoligise to the mods as I'm sure it will have to be moved .

A friend died suddenly a few days ago and as is the custom here there will be a funeral service in the next few days . My question to anyone that might have been in a similar situation recently is whether or not the spouse could receive any financial aid from the UK .

Both are pensioners and have been living here a number of years and like many they don't have a great deal of money . I know if your resident in the UK there is various allowances and assistance available to the surviving spouse to help deal with the financial costs involve however i have looked everywhere online and within the Gov.UK websites and cant find any information to answer the question so I'm hoping someone here will know . I'm reluctant to suggest it to the spouse until i have the facts .

The second question is that if there is any financial aid available could they claim after the funeral or would it be to late to make the application bearing in mind the purpose of the grant .