The best broadband supplier needed

Started by Alfredow, May 14, 2013, 18:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgin

Update - to be fair to Wimax Online I should say that I got 8.18Mb on my 8Mb system this morning.

Elgin

The "best" may depend on your circumstances and what you want to pay and I am not the best to advise on that point.  However, if you are new to Spain there are several options.  Also what do you mean by speedy and stable.  Completely stable is very difficult for most operators as power cuts happen all too often here.  As for speedy, when we arrived here just 4 years ago the best we could get was 1Mb (we get better now) but we live in the campo.  The various systems include:-

Fixed Line ADSL - You will get the best speeds (up to 30Mb) best prices and probably greater reliability with ADSL.  However, you need a fixed line (physical line to the house). BT in Spain are an ADSL provider but there are lots more ONO, Jazztel, Orange, Telefonica, Vodafone to mention just a few.

Mobile Internet - All the mobile phone companies provide mobile internet (which can be used in the house with a dongle and router).  This is supposed to be up to 21Mb but the actaul speeds and level of service you get will depend upon location.  You phone companies are very good at saying what level of service you will get so you can only tell if somebody checks you location out with a smart phone (you might need a lot of friends with smartphones to do this!).

Wimax - relatively new and growing fast this is internet by radio signal (typically using the requencies previously used by analouge TV).  4 years ago there was only one provider in our area Iberbanda (owned by Telefonica and El Corte Ingles) but they are expensive and slow (stil only offer 1Mb).  Now there a lots of providers but they are localised (most will tell you their reception areas).  We now use Wimax online based in Lorca and get up to 8Mb from them (actaully haven't achieved much more than 7Mb and it slows down a lot in the evenings).  This is one Wimax provider bassed in Turre (Next) so you should get a good signal from them but there are others around.  Wimax is more expensive than ADSL - typical price is €25 pm for 4Mb pus about €5 pm. for a phoneline.  In remote locations Wimax is normally the best option.

Satellite - the most expensive option and only really necessary in very remote areas where Wimax doesn't reach.  Often satillite providers also provide Wimax so they can advise which is best.  You shouldn't need satellite in Turre.

I hope this is of some help.

Alfredow

Hi Folks,

Can anyone give me some hints on the best broadband supplier for the Turre area?

I am an accountant and deal with most of my clients now over the web. My experience of broadband in Spain although patchy is not great. We are planning to spend 6 months in Spain and 6 in UK and with good stable broadband I could carry on working from our apartment. My fear is that the broadband in Turre seems to be so unstable that it could cause errors with cloud backups etc.

I have been told that BT now trades in Spain but I have never seen any references to BT in the Turre area. The only broadband I have seen has been satellite based and not speedy or stable at all.

Any help welcome.

Alfredow.