How to Search on the forum.

Started by felipe, July 10, 2012, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

The original post and one after were put on in 2012 after we took over the forum. This was because there was an amount of abuse on the forum at that time and we stopped members from posting libel then deleting the post after several hundred members had read it.

It has never been a major issue with members not to be able to remove their own thread. It has been possible to remove a post in a thread though.

However, I have now reinstated the option to delete your own thread. But this is only possible IF no one has made a reply. Then it needs a message to me to delete the thread.

There is nothing wrong with having adverts. It helps promote local businesses and is no different to reading a local newspaper that is full of adverts, or when you listen to local radio with adverts after every other record.

Stickies are there for admin use only and are used for important threads. As for the emoticons all forums have them, as does Facebook Twitter and every other form of social media. You do not have to use them.

Optomist

I find if i click the small magnifying glass above the search box another box opens . I type the search word in then go to the selection of ways to display results and i select MOST RECENT POSTS , if not i find there are pages and pages , many years out of date , the most recent ones normally contain the post im looking for or more up to date info on a topic .
If you see someone without a smile give them one of yours .

felipe

It is apparent that some members are not sure on how to carry out a search on the forum. In effect there are three methods.

Method 1. On the home page where ALL the boards are listed type in your search words in the search box on the top right. Be specific. Just putting in logs will bring up 4 pages of posts. Log delivery is better.

Method 2. You can go to a specific board such as Entertainment and search in that board only use the same as above.  This will provide you with a list of results in that board only.

Method 3.  Click on the SEARCH option that is next to the HELP link in the menu bar. Then click on ADVANCED Search. Use the form to be even more specific in your search criteria.

Hopefully this will help prevent the repeated requests for translators, dentists, pool cleaners etc etc etc.