Golf trolley battery testing

Started by jonboy, July 12, 2011, 15:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goody

I have tried that putting it on blocks but it only runs for a couple of minutes but if I connect straight to motor it runs for ages, I have a new potentiometer and hillbilly told me that it turns off if it is not pulling a load and turns off to protect the module don't know if that is correct, is there a way to test the charger

jonboy

Thanks Mike, I didn't think these batteries would retain memory, but will give it a try.

Thanks also Sheriff, trust me walking a golf course 3 times in a week in this heat, even with an electric trolley, it keeps you fit! But I also work out in my gym to retain the muscle in the body. (if I can find some, haha)

Gracias John  :tiphat:
Age is just a Number on a Birthday Card!

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Jonboy,

You could always throw the Battery away - inside 12 months you will be a lot fitter !!!!!!
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

mike challinor

Hi Jonboy
In addition to Fred Sherrifs' good advice you may try this first.
Unfortunately the sealed batteries that we use on electric golf trolleys will build up a "memory" of charging characteristics, such as short duration top-ups where you have plugged your battery into the charger either straight after an "easy" walking round of golf, or a short top-up charge on a regular basis before you go to golf. I think that the technical phrase is "buiding in a back EMF or electro-motive force! this tells the charger "Oh, I only have this much charge on a regular basis, so I don't want any more this time".
As a fellow golfer and a HillBilly user for many years I was given this advice by HillBilly themselves:
Put the trolley with battery connected up on blocks so that the drive wheels are free to spin, turn the rheostat switch fully on and leave running until the battery is having problems turning the wheels. Turn the switch off and leave to stand for approx 30 minutes. Remove the battery from the Trolley and put on charge. Remove the battery from charge as soon as possible after charged indicator lights up, your battery should now perform to its full capacity.
If you have done this make sure that the rheostat switch is behaving itself by spinning the wheels again and applying a slight resistance to the wheels, there should be a detectable difference when operating the switch through it's range. If there is it is probably a deterioration of your battery and time to get the wallet out!
Hope this helps
Mike
Mike Challinor

The Sheriff ILLIA.

Jonboy,

Try Manolo's  opposite BP in Albox - last warehouse with the Varta Battery sign above.  - he can test all kinds of Batteries.
Fred Sheriff.

Tip of the Day for a long life  :-  Breathe In  - Breathe Out - repeat when necessary.

jonboy

Does anyone  know where I can get my battery tested, it is a sealed battery and believe it needs special testing to see if the cells are Ok. Also what would the cost be?

Thanks for any help.

John  :tiphat:
Age is just a Number on a Birthday Card!