Spanish business getting the message.

Started by unclebob, January 10, 2011, 15:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclebob

apologies in order.
I assumed that the AEPA actually sitting down with the AUAN conferred some form of acceptance of and agreement with, their position. This was an advance in anyones book, as previously they would have stuck pins in their eyes before conceding that the AUAN existed!

It is one of my failings............ don't assume...... check.

Maura_Hillen

Hi Unclebob,
In the interests of accuracy ... it is not correct to say that AEPA is backing AUAN. Nor have we met with them recently, other than when their representative participated in a round table discussion with a number of other parties (as reported to our members).

It is however fair to say that the business community (both Spanish and English) is feeling the pain of the economic crisis and the illegal housing situation.

unclebob

At the last meeting the AUAN had with the Mayor of Albox, a representative of the AEPA was in attendance.
The AEPA is (roughly translated), The Association of Entrepreneurs and Professionals/ promoters in Almanzora. (a sort of Spanish round table)
Apparently they are backing the AUAN because of the sorry state of Business in the Valley, and they believe that something should be done to rectify the mess.

I have known the AEPA for a long time.
They are the organisation which contains most of the promoters, developers and solicitors who are/were at the heart of the problem.
They have an influence with the Town Hall (regardless of WHO is flavour of the time)
This organisation pulled every devious trick in the book to prevent the first protest march in 2007, proclaiming it was not necessary, that it (the problem) would resolve itself (now let me remember. The march was early January 2007.... oh yes, just when the Priors house was demolished)
This is the organisation which declared that we (yes, you and me and all the other suckers), knew EXACTLY what we were doing because the houses were so cheap.
This is the organisation that claimed that I, along with the AUAN was wrecking the economy (presumably by telling the truth).

After the above, one might consider that I believe their involvement is unwanted, however, nothing can be further from the truth. The AEPA and its members are hurting, and they admit it. The revenue their members used to make has drastically reduced. Businesses have closed. Whilst one side of me cries "serves you bloody right", the other side cries "I wish it was not so"

I dislike the AEPA, much as I dislike Granero, and nowadays Pepe, however, in order to move things on, these type of people are needed by those of us who cannot vote in National elections, and it is the NATIONAL elections which will resolve the problem.

Quite frankly, I expect the business situation in the valley to worsen in the coming 12 months, which, whilst unfortunate, might well have a beneficial side effect, in that the AEPA, along with other business groups, press the politicians (local AND national) to DO SOMETHING!

I have posted on here the possibility, that for the politicians, the end result of legalising the situation, might not be worth the pain, however, with a powerful business community banging on the Mayors door, we have an unlikely (and in my own view dislikeable) ally.
One could argue a fair case for more businesses to close, though I am sure they will, with no help from me.

For any AEPA member who reads this................ I told you so (years ago), and you would not listen, and now you are playing catch-up!