Questionnaire on flora and fauna - A FURTHER REQUEST PLEASE

Started by chelseaphil, June 19, 2010, 17:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelseaphil

In my personal view it enhances the wildlife. Birds nest and roost in it overnight, thousands of bees head for it when it is in flower. When the leaves drop it adds nutrients to the soil and builds up a layer of humus over time.  It helps with the food chain effect. Bees are plentiful = more insects for the birds to go for and so on up the food chain.

AJJ

I can't complete the survey as I am in Turre but I notice one of the questions refers to Siempreverde hedging. Do you think this has a negative effect on wildlife?

chelseaphil

Just a thank you to the 122 members that have filled out the questionnaire for me.

I have extended it until the end of this week just in case some were away on holiday etc.

Phil

The QA can be answered here and only takes a few minutes.

http://www.impressity.com/Survey/sl.aspx?SurveyLinkId=yddjdvxxmlhedjxkzygl

Lynne

I mentioned earlier about the bats that fly around the lamp posts outside.  Early this morning (about 0630) one was seen to go under an end tile on our roof.  Don't know if it's roosting there or just found a nice cool place to rest.  Only saw one but there could be more.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

alansue

Hi Phil. Not sure if anyone else has seen these, but about a week ago 5 young deer came down over the hill by us and crossed our rustic land and up the other side. First time we have ever seen deer in this area. Alan

chelseaphil

Just to say thank you to the 108 members that were kind enough to complete the questionnaire for me.  Anyone else that would like to do so has until Monday. I will then start the task of analysing it all.  Watch out for a report later in the summer.

Link to survey.

chelseaphil

Now up to 105 respondents. Many thanks everyone.

It looks like I will be giving a talk on the topic sometime in October to various groups in the region, so watch out for news if you are interested. If it is a members only event I will look for another location to do a second talk for those that are non members.

But that is a four months away, let's enjoy the summer first.  :lol: :lol:

chelseaphil

galeras, Many thanks. Trouble with QAs is that even though I run it by a few people to check it over you will always not think about a couple of things.  Maybe if I do another in future.......... Phil

galeras1

Just completed the survey.  About mains water, no option for not on mains.  Similarly for existing planting, in an old cortijo, no planting but no option.  Have had to make up answers to avoid a red mark. :whistle:

chelseaphil

I could still do with some more members completing the questionnaire if possible please. 98 so far and could do with another 100.

I repeat none of the questions ask for personal details and it is ALL totally anonymous unless you agree to include your email address in the last question.

There are 22 short questions.  It should take no more than 5 - 10mins to complete it. Click here to go to the questionnaire:

carlossaliente

I've had a Cryptic mantis in Saliente, along with a bee eater, badger and we have lots of frogs/toads in our local fuente.
Near Turre I saw a tortoise making its way across the road a few weeks ago.  I have seen boar on the Limaria-Arboleas mountain road
We've got far too many cats by our bins
And I have a sometimes wild animal that likes to pass himself off for a plumber by day, sneaks into my bed at night!!

andie

just out of intrest  :wave
if you do get a nasty nip,you can buy a syringe / sucker kit from the chemists,if you break the skin with a stanley knife blade,so it bleeds then get the sucker on it, relives the pain prety sharpish.

S   :tiphat:

chelseaphil

We had one of them crawling up the bed linen one night. Just glad we saw it BEFORE we went to bed!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Seprona office. Will sorry that one out. Please PM me the bear info. I will NOT disclose any information about any of the exact locations of endangered species.  It will be sufficient to state that they have been seen in the province of Almeria.

All this info you people are providing is great.  I have been asked to do a talk on the research for the gardening club. But I would be happy to arrange another talk somewhere local for non gardening club members if there is enough interest.

By the way, I have had a couple of emails questioning my reasons for this and implying that I am only doing it for the money. Well, for those that are not aware writing academic papers is done 'free'.  Unless some good soul coughs up funding for the research.  Which in this case is NOT happening.

Starynightsky

Hi Neil

That would be them.

They are also toxic and will land the average person in AE, never mind animals and small children.

Thats why even the spainish recommend killing them when you find them. The bigger they are the more dangerous. We have had them a foot long up here.

But if Tim1 wants me to call him next time I find one to perform a rescue operation I will gladly call him if he would like to PM his phone number.

UEI

QuoteWhy should anyone want to cut a living creature in half?
Get a bite from the fangs of one of those centipedes and believe me, you will be reaching for the spade too!  :vomit:

Tim1

Quote from: Starynightsky on June 22, 2010, 17:54:47 PM
orange and black caterpillars (the nasty ones that keep running when you cut them in half)

Why should anyone want to cut a living creature in half?

Starynightsky

HI Phil

Yes  bear, we also have
wolves,
foxes,
rollers,
badgers,
Bee eaters
hawks
eagles,
Numerous other things.

Phil is you PM I will give you the details for the Bear, but ONLY in the strictest confidence as they are so rare in Spain etc.

Also it is worth contacting Serpona in Albox they have access to the nature Shelter near here for the rehibilitation of endangered and endemic species of the area. Its a fanstic facility but not open to the public, but you may be able to talk to the people that run it, for help with statisitcs. There are 8 I think in total in the Almeria area and the nearest one covers this area.

Hope it helps

:wave

chelseaphil

Thanks for all the photos and replies on here. Good lot on info. Could with more so please do not be shy  :clap:  :clap:

Same applies to the questionnaire. Nearly 800 people have read the thread and even allowing for re-reads could still do with a few more responses to the questionnaire. got 92 now only another 100 or so pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

Go on, you know you really want to  :lol: :lol:

olly

Quote from: Gwilym on June 22, 2010, 18:30:31 PM
Bear!?
Perhaps your bear was my pole cat?

Also, I have met 3 people who have claimed to have seen wolves/jackals???
Maybe they were the now almost extinct "builder" or "estate agent" species?
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Gwilym

Bear!?
Perhaps your bear was my pole cat?

Also, I have met 3 people who have claimed to have seen wolves/jackals???

giz

Does not compete with lynx, wild boar ect but just found little frog in the pool.  River is drying up so they must be trying to find a new home

[attachment deleted by admin]

Starynightsky

I have seen in 2 years,

2 wild Boar (seperate occasions)
1 bear
1 large (7 foot long) snake
multiple smaller snakes
multiple scorpions
orange and black caterpillars (the nasty ones that keep running when you cut them in half)
processionary caterpillars

Im sure the missus may add to this list....

Gwilym

My best spot was a 'pole cat' near Oria. not an otter - no water; not a pine martin - too small.
Also wild boar, the size of a small horse - I whistled loudly the rest of the walk!
Wild goats or something else?
Deer.
I love seeing the eagles - Golden and Bonnelli.

Geminis

The "angelic duo"

mickandjan

Brilliant pix, but think I'll stay indoors from now on!   :lol:

XxemmaxX

please dont tell me what that spider has on its back are baby spiders!!!  :o
I am supporting Operation Christmas Child 2011!!!!

chelseaphil

Thanks Neil, But is there any chance of reducing the size of them and reloading them please? They take ages to load up all of them because they are so big :) Some of them stop loading half way through. They look great though.

UEI

You can use any of these images if you wish Phil...

ooops! sorry, forgot to resize!
All done now.

Lynne

I also missed quite a lot off the questionnaire.  We have a gecko living in our roof (we call him Gordon) and he's been there a couple of years now.  Not sure if there's more than one but never seen two together.  We have loads of dragonflies around the pool and they're not afraid to come to within a foot of you whilst you're standing in the pool.  We also have a couple of tiny owls that perch on our wall or on the lamposts outside our house, we've been seeing them for 3 years now.  Almost forgot the bats - at least half a dozen most nights flying around the same two lamposts.  We had a snake in the pool a couple of weeks ago - about 4ft long and quite slim.  We have big crickets and small crickets - not sure if the big ones are locusts but don't ever see more than a couple at the same time.  Oh yes, and praying mantis - not seen one this year so far but last year we had one that didn't want to leave a certain window reja.  He wasn't afraid at all and would just sit and look at you.  Most days we see eagle-type birds, but not sure what they are, also a lot of magpies chasing the smaller birds - what a racket they make.  I'll add more as I think of them.
You can't always control who walks into your life...but you CAN control which window you throw them out of.

jarick

Chelseaphil what a wwonderful idea. We have filled in the form but not left our email address but you are welcome to use it now. Isn't it surprising what we have seen but not noted. We will certainly take our camera with us when we are out and about. We live on the outskirts of Cantoria and regularly see foxex, after a neighbours chickens, in and around us. My Spanish neighbour is often seen walking the hills with his goats and we are going to ask him what, if any, he has seen. He is very knowledgable about the flora as well...   Jarick
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished. - Benjamin Franklin

Act  silly - it makes your brain cells giggle!

chelseaphil

Many thanks for all the replies.  Roz, this is why I st up this section to help people recall what they have seen.  All we need now are some photos. So take your camera or camera phone with you when out and about  :lol: :lol:

85 respondents now.

northwichvics

Some while ago, around 23.30, driving towards  the old Arboleas railway station, I followed a full size Badger and a couple of cubs. Have never seen them since. No, I hadn't been drinking!

cruisequeen

We had a very large solitary Locust in our garden 2 weeks ago - we are in Los Higuerales.
Also spotted eagles flying overhead recently.
About 2 years ago I spotted a pair of badgers ambling along the road between Limaria and Los Hig around 11pm
Lesley

Tim1

That's reminded me! I don't know if I can revisit my survey to add a locust (on the orange tree) to my list of fauna?

And, on the question of locusts, when do they become a thtreat to vegetation? I presume they have to swarm so a solitary one isn't a problem, but what triggers a swarm/plague? Anyone know? And how likely is that to happen in Spain?

The Baby Hire Centre

We have submitted too.

Unusual things seen this year;
Smooth snake
Horseshoe whipsnake
Deathshead moth (As in Silence of the lambs)
Shrews (x2 dead in the pool)
Hawks and Eagles overhead (species unknown but hawks NOT kestrels)
Hares x2
Fox
Wild Boar (running across road @ trinidad)
Huge (5") Solitary locust
Gecko (moorish I think)
Huge (18"-20") fat and very fast lizard (species unknown)
Dragonfly (weird cos no water nearby)
Toad (Speceis unknown - Big, fat and warty green/yellow)
:)