F.A.Q.s Satellite TV, Spanish TV . . .

Started by knowall, April 10, 2009, 21:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowall

How do I get Channel 5 if it is not on the EPG?
Thanks to Olive25:

Channel 5 information   -    CLICK HERE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why does my Sky box keep switching itself off?   -   CLICK HERE
and: http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17995.0

Why do I lose satellite channels in bad weather?   -  
Because the signals are very weak and after travelling the thousands of miles from the satellite, cannot travel through the thick clouds, rain or snow.

What do I need to receive Spanish Digital Television (TDT)?
This topic may be helpful but I hope this will also help to inform:
Spanish TDT (televisión digital terrestre) is available from several local transmitters.
It is transmitted on channels: 57, 59, 66, 67, 68 & 69 which are at the high frequency end of the UHF band.
Your antenna requirements will depend on your distance from and obstructions between you and the transmitter.
For most cases a new ordinary UHF TV antenna with coax to the TV set should do the job, providing it is pointing in the right direction. There are transmitters at Albox and Huércal-Overa. There are also others so if you are D.I.Y. try some trial and error.
If you cannot get sufficient signal a masthead preamp may be required with about 30 - 36 dB gain.
A DIY set up (antenna, coax cable, preamplifiers) can be obtained from shops such as Euronics or many of the ferreterias.

Your receiver will need to be digital. It is the same type of receiver as "Freeview" terrestrial (NOT satellite) in the UK and TVs and add on boxes with digital receivers from the UK will work on the Spanish TDT system.
If you have an analogue TV don't worry, an add on TDT box is very cheaply obtained here.
Some modern TVs have built in digital receivers, if in doubt, consult your manual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to reset a Sky Digibox:

Instructions in the event of a power failure or the digibox locking out

It is possible that after the power has been disconnected or otherwise interrupted that a picture / program is not displayed. For this reason I recommend that the digibox is left in the standby mode (red light showing) when not in use.

This procedure should restore the signal using your Remote Control

1   Remove the power cable, wait 10 seconds, then replace at the rear of the digibox. Then switch on the digibox so as the green light is showing.

2   Press the "SERVICES" button and press numbers 4 0 1 within 10 seconds of each other- 'SYSTEM SET UP' screen should be displayed and No.1 'PICTURE SETTINGS' highlighted

3   Press 'SELECT'

4   Scroll down to No.2 'DEFAULT TRANSPONDER' and press 'SELECT'

5   Change frequency number to '12051', scroll down to 'SAVE SETTINGS' and press "SELECT'

6   Scroll down to No.5 "MANUAL TUNING' and press 'SELECT'

7   Scroll down to 'FIND CHANNELS' and press 'SELECT'. Wait for approximately 20 seconds and then press 'SELECT' again. Your signal meter levels should have changed and you should have data stream identification numbers.

8   Scroll down to preferred channel, say 'CNN' and press 'YELLOW BUTTON', a tick on the 'CHANNEL SELECTED' should be displayed, press 'SELECT'

9   A message should be displayed 'CHANNEL LINE-UP COMPLETE'. Ignore the invitation to press select to continue instead:

10   Press 'SERVICES' button and scroll down to 'OTHER CHANNELS' then press 'SELECT'

11   Scroll down to chosen channel, say 'CNN' and press 'SELECT'

12   Wait for 1 minute watching 'CNN' while the memory in the digibox reboots. After this time you can operate as usual

NOTE: Digiboxes automatically download the EPG when the satellite demands it to, and this can cause the digibox default transponder to return to 11.778 (V). If you are receiving a very good signal with a large dish this will not necessarily cause any problem.

Instead of following steps 8 – 12, once the data stream figures and signal meter have come up, you can just press "SKY" and wait for the initial screen (Channel 998) to appear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have anything to add to this section, please PM Forum Moderators and We will update the FAQs