New Year Celebrations Arboleas

Started by judi bk, December 29, 2008, 16:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judi bk

wandered down to Arboleas after that wonderful pork casserole and lots of wine.  Got there at about 11.30 and everywhere was closed and not a soul about.  At about 11.45 the bar near the church opened up

[attachment=0:3421ah45]20092.jpg[/attachment:3421ah45]

We got home at 4.30 :thumbsup

judi bk

judi bk

Oh well if yopu see 4 people wandering round looking for a celebration - one of them is me - there again after eating all the food I've cooked and drinking all the booze I doubt we will be able to move :drama

judi bk

Is there anything going on in Arboleas? Just people gathering and doing the grapes thing is all I'm looking for?

judi bk

I'm in there tomorrow to get them - thanks

sandy b

Dia in Albox had some  vacuumed packed chestnuts this morning, hope Im not too late with this reply but the net has been playing up today

judi bk

Just making an orange cream caramel so all I need now is to find out where New Year happens in Arboleas - the Church or the Town Hall

judi bk

The pork is in the marinade - it smells wonderful

Got some Shitake mushrooms from Carter so they'll probably add the desired flavour but no chestnuts as yet

Will try Mercadona tomorrow

Downshifter

Lidls had some strange looking mushrooms and chestnuts the other day-if its fresh chestnuts just slit them,then boil for 10 mins,then peel when cool.
The weather is fantastic,first day without a fire in the day and sunbathing-yayyy!

judi bk

Wow that sounds great
You won't believe it but I brought some juniper berries back with me - wonder where I can get porcini mushrooms and vacuum packed chestnuts?  :sun  - Isn't the weather lovely

Much improved on Barnsley

Downshifter

Quote from: "judi bk"PS if the answer to the last question is yes has anyone got a recipe for wild boar stew - or other suitably unusual dish

(Don't tell my Avatar but - can you get venison locally?)

Ingredients
1.5kg/3lb 5oz boneless shoulder of wild boar or pork
For the marinade
2 bay leaves
4 large thyme sprigs
3 x 18cm/7in rosemary sprigs
1 fat celery stick, roughly chopped
300ml/10½fl oz gusty red wine such as a Cabernet Sauvignon or the Corsican Niellucciu
8 cloves
2 medium onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
12 black peppercorns
1 tbsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
For the stew
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g/7oz small chorizo sausage or figatellu sausage, cut into 4-5mm/¼in-thick slices
2 tsp tomato purée
2 tsp plain flour
100ml/3½fl oz red vermouth, such as the local Cap Corse
450ml/15¾fl oz beef stock
50g/1¾oz dried porcini mushrooms
50g/2oz chestnuts, cooked and peeled and vacuum-packed
1 tbsp butter
200g/7oz mixed wild mushrooms, including some chanterelles, wiped clean and sliced if large
salt and freshly ground black pepper
handful parsley, chopped, to garnish

Method
1. Cut the wild boar into 5cm/2in chunks and put the pieces of meat into a large bowl. Add all the ingredients for the marinade, mix together well, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours, stirring it occasionally.
2. The next day, set a colander over another clean bowl and tip in the marinated meat. Drain well and reserve the wine collected in the bowl.
3. Separate the meat from the rest of the marinade ingredients and set aside. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and fry the meat in batches until it is browned all over. Season as you go and add a little more oil if needed.
4. Return all the meat to the casserole dish with a little more oil if necessary. Add the chorizo or figatellu and fry for a minute or two until lightly golden. Add the remaining marinade ingredients reserved in the colander and fry until soft and richly browned.
5. Stir in the tomato purée and fry for another minute. Stir in the flour followed by the red vermouth, the reserved wine from the marinade, beef stock, porcini mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and ten turns of the black pepper mill. Bring to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and leave to simmer gently for 1-1½ hours.
6. Add the chestnuts to the casserole, replace the cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
7. Shortly before the stew is ready, heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the wild mushrooms and some salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry briskly over a high heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir them into the casserole, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.

judi bk

So nobody knowsOK I'll have to find out myself - you se I was in UK but couldn't say so for house security reasons.  Just back now and my brother has decided to arrive tomorrow for New Year.  I am delighted but got an awful lot to do in 24 hours

judi bk

PS if the answer to the last question is yes has anyone got a recipe for wild boar stew - or other suitably unusual dish

(Don't tell my Avatar but - can you get venison locally?)

judi bk

Is all the grape eating done by the Church or upby the town hall?  Are there many people there.  Do people take their own bubbly and plastic glasses?  (Is it frowned on to eat those little grapes out of tins?)

Sorry a lot of questions but have visitors and didn't know they were coming 'til last night.  Rather changed the plans.

Also anyone know where I can get some wild boar?  Preferably locally as haven't got a lot of time to sort it all out :thumbsup