Processionary Caterpillers

Started by caddickt, December 29, 2008, 11:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorraine

A tree up the road from us has about 15 "bags" in it. Fortunately we live far enough away for it not to be a bother to us, but it could be a problem for our neighbours - there's absolutely no way of reaching the nests either, they are so high up.

rainbowsheep03

Tim1 .. the caterpiller in your link lives on the oak tree and came from holland. It's a slightl;y different caterpiller.. but does the same sort of damage!
We cant get away from them anywhere.

caddickt

Many Thanks for all the advice offered, my friend and I today cut down 13 or 14 nests and burnt them, regards and all the very best to all for 2009. Terry

bigtallgeezer

Quote from: "Frankie"The most worrying thing about this is that it's a bit too early for them according to the Spanish.  Maybe if it turns cold again they will all be killed off?

Killed off??? I doubt it! They are very tough little bug ers......

When I have my bonfire of them they can be on a decent fire for 10 minutes or more and that cocoon thing and the numbers of them inside will keep them alive until I actually break it open and split them up!!
Almost all of mine were about full size caterpillars when I did the deed about 10 days ago.

:hat
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Tim1

Suej

I read an article a few years ago, that said as the caterpillers have to climb the trees after hatching in the ground, that grease bands could work. I tried this last year and had no nests, this year however I tried it again and had two small nests in one tree...so I don't know if i was just lucky last year or unlucky this year..

Sue :?

ptmd

Try googling for 'Processionary Caterpillars', you'll find quite a lot of info there.

Regards
ptmd

pc doctor

This is the worst year we have had with these nasties i burned 10 nests yesterday all in the bottem of my garden we have 3 dogs and 3 cats it is a worry.

Alan
You can please some of the people all of the time but you cant please all of the people all of the time.

Womp

whitsend

Have been told that once they are on the ground going from A to B spray them with lighter fuel and set light to them. They even close down golf courses when they are on the move. (or so I have been told)

charlieboy

I have heard of two dogs losing half their tongues and a man actually died because he was not in good health after coming into contact with them!
HelpingAnimalsAlmanzora

Suej

the advice that we have been given is:

1. Spray nest with hairspray (this stops the hairs being released)
2. Cover with  carrier bag
3. Cut of branch containing the nest inside the carrier bag
4. Burn the nest, leaving it inside the crrier bag

I have had two nests this year, none last year, one the year before. What I do is the above, once I have cut the bit of branch off containing the nest within the carrier, I tie the carrier up over it and then put the lot into a concrete block with a fire lighter, that makes sure there is nothing left. The carrier bag stops any hairs being released either when cutting the branch or burning the nest...

Hope this helps

Sue

bigtallgeezer

We cut the nests off as early as we spot them and have a bonfire of all the cuttings.....it seems a shame and normally I would leave such things to get on with it,
but unfortunately they do huge amounts of damage to the trees, so they have to go.
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

rainbowsheep03

Our Small westie dog got near to where we had had some and sniffed around, her tongue swelled right up and wouldnt even fit in her mouth, we had to feed her water by dripping it on her tongue with a tea spoon. She didnt eat for about 2 days aswell.

Rogerp

Yes they can cause a nasty reaction and should not be touched. The last nest I found in the tree, hair spray and a lighter, problem solved.

Drax

Pine processionary caterpillars
As every Spanish child knows, don't even think about handling the hairy caterpillars of the pine processionary moth ( procesionarias in Spanish). If they are touched, their hairs release an extremely nasty allergic skin reaction. Children have been known to go temporarily blind from rubbing their eyes after picking them up. They live in easily identifiable silvery nests in pine trees throughout Mediterranean Spain and get their name from their habit of forming head-to-tail trails as they move across land.

Another topic about them here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11404

caddickt

Can anyone please tell me anything about Processionary Caterpillers, apparently they are dangerous to both humans and animals. If found do they have to be reported to any Spanish department for disposal? or how can they be disposed of safely. Warning to anyone living in Questa De Los Pinos they are nesting in some small pine trees. Many Thanks Terry