Electricity Bills

Started by maireh, December 27, 2008, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maireh

Thanks everyone, for your comments and help.  Next stop, Endesa on Monday morning, then the bank if necessary.
Maire

digifidd

I think the problem Maireh is that when a person goes onto Spanish Direct Debit, they expect it to work the same way as in the UK.

Here in the UK, companies/banks are not allowed to take money from a bill  without informing the account holder of the amount they are taking, at least 14 days before it goes from the account.

That just doesn't seem to be the same in Spain.  They take the money and you, as the account holder, gets the bill details after the fact - if at all.

That just may be Spanish banking rules and so it is not illegal for a Spanish company to do.  UK banking rules and the banking regulator (FSA?) are supposed to make financial processes far tighter and as a result we are used to seeing what is due to come out before it does, so that it can be queried if there is a problem.

That's Spain for you!  Banking regulations, I guess, vary and are controlled from/by country to country.

miseryguts

hi. used to have a night meter, but after complaining about my bill, we went out and when we came back my neighbour informed us that  Endesa had been and taken our meter out!! we then got another bill to pay for a new contract for a day meter, at this point I gave up, paid  the bill and left things as they were.  There is one point to remember, if you have a night meter your day units are more expensive, so bear in mind when you vacuum, watch tv, cook, boil the kettle etc, its costing you more, unless you stay upall night and go to bed all day.

knowall

Quote from: "maireh"Hi Frankie - yes, there is a charge but it was only about €10 and this has already been taken.  I think I'll just wait and see what the bill says - if it ever arrives.  Does anyone know if I can stop paying by direct debit and just settle the bill when it arrives? I hate this idea of them taking money without them informing us first. I'm sure it's another form of theft and can't be actually legal.  Anyone got any ideas?
That is rather a strong unfounded allegation to make against a large company like Endesa.

You should have a look at your electricity account, which you can view online, before accusing them of criminal actions.

maireh

Hi Frankie - yes, there is a charge but it was only about €10 and this has already been taken.  I think I'll just wait and see what the bill says - if it ever arrives.  Does anyone know if I can stop paying by direct debit and just settle the bill when it arrives? I hate this idea of them taking money without them informing us first. I'm sure it's another form of theft and can't be actually legal.  Anyone got any ideas?
Maire

andie

The suministro number is the same on old bills and communication so you will be a ble to phone them using the information on your correspondence.

Andrea

maireh

Thanks Andrea - as yet, haven't had the bill - just had the money taken from my bank account.  may wait until Monday/Tuesday and see what the bill says.
Maire

andie

Ring the number on the bill and ask for an english speaker they are very helpful and will transfer you.

You Will need to give them your suministro number and possibly your nie/passport number depending what you opened the original account with. give them the number which is on your bill where it says NIF/CIF .

Hope this helps.

Andrea

maireh

I know the subject has been done to death and I've just been reading through all the previous posts. However, can anyone explain why, 3 weeks after having the new meter fitted, to make use of the cheaper overnight tariff, and paying off the outstanding bill of €134 for previous 6 weeks supply - I have now received a bill for over €200 for a three week period??  And we've been so careful and economical.  It's very difficult to check these new meters. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what can be done about it?  Is there a different number to use at Endesa for an English speaker or is it still the number on the bill?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Maire