Buying an LCD TV over the internet.

Started by Rsdw, December 20, 2008, 17:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-sue

Whilst in Uk with his car the husband spotted on special offer in a a well known high street store that places many adverts on TV a all singing all dancing top of the range wide screen TV with every gadget that has ever been produced and the biggest screen he had ever seen. This had a special offer on it reducing it from just under £2500 to £1999 and of course as he was in England the good old 99p at the end.
His wife thought she was going to fill the car up with a trip to Matalan and Primark, but when this TV was purchased complete with three pin plug there was only enough room for a carrier bag type visit for his wife to her favourite shop.
Once he got back from Uk and his wife not speaking to him for the whole 2000km journey he connected up his pride and joy and used the adaptor to connect to the three pin plug and lines started to appear where lines should not be on this huge screen. He told me he gave it an" Onslo " type bang on the side but it made no difference at all.
By now he said his wife had said "told you so" about 8 times and after a visit some days later by a Spanish TV repair chappie NO means just that in any language and he had to get this huge TV back to UK under its one year warranty for repair.
After sending it back with its 3 pin plug by a carrier at huge expense he and his wife were shopping in a Almeria and there on the shelf was the same TV at a much lesser price than what he had paid in UK in one of their so called sales,this one with a 2 year warranty and yes a 2 pin plug.
The total price he said he paid to get this huge boxed up TV there and back to UK and to be with out TV for four weeks was criminal. He told me that the hardest part was sitting down talking to his wife in the evenings watching a tiny TV.
Never again will he buy anything with a three pin plug on it as the hassle of getting it repaired under a warranty with phone calls and transport is a real problem and huge expense. From now he said he will only buy "made in China" here in Spain with a two pin plug and a two year warranty, far cheaper and you get more for your money.
Still he got his beers paid for at the bar he was crying in his.

EPS Direct

Hi RSDW
With ref to bringing a tv from the uk we have brought over a number of tvs for customers over the last few weeks
The prices in the UK are cheaper than over here with most shops offering 70% off items
the most you would pay with us is 75-100 euros
we will also purchase the tv for you and have it delivered to our UK Depot then delivered down to our office in Albox then you can pay us via cash, card or transfer
we have trucks leaving the UK every week
If you need to know anything else please call me on the numbers below

hank

Sorry Rsdw I gave you the wrong e- address for Fred Phillips. It's    mailto:fredphillips2003@yahoo.co.uk">fredphillips2003@yahoo.co.uk   and his mob telno is 07956 615795. Hank.  (minus 2 in N Devon this morning, but sunny).
If I had to live my life over, I'd live it over a pub.

Windows was unable to locate the requested file. Would you like a glass of wine instead?

Juliet P

Quote from: "Rsdw"Colin,

Sony W4000 or Samsung 656 series.

By the way most companies now offer Europe or world wide warranties, certainly Sony, do so it no longer matters where you purchase.

Roger.

Hahaha   :rofl  Yeah right... Sounds great, until you actually try it. I imagine by the time you've located the nearest servicio tecnico and either transported the thing there or paid postage, then waited a few months, given them time to lose it a couple of times, you would probably wish you'd thrown the thing in the bin to begin with...

Juliet

hank

Hi, just before Christmas I bought a Sony W4000L 40 ins HD 1080 etc etc, from Sainsburys for £583 I think it was.  It was £200 off plus the Darling 2.5%. They might be cheaper by now.  Not sure if its available on line. You might have to phone a store, have it delivered to Fred Phillips at his removals place in Kent and he will bring it to your door on his next trip. He ricochets regularly between Los Carrascos and the UK. His e- is  mailto:fredphillips@yahoo.co.uk">fredphillips@yahoo.co.uk    Might work.  Best of luck. Hank.
If I had to live my life over, I'd live it over a pub.

Windows was unable to locate the requested file. Would you like a glass of wine instead?

chelseaphil

Also, Do not forget the 2 years warranty in Spain.  Will you get that offered on the UK / Europe warranty? Phil

andie

"By the way most companies now offer Europe or world wide warranties, certainly Sony, do so it no longer matters where you purchase."

just out of intrest,i should check,to make sure you dont have to pay P&P to and from the repair centre or have to take it to the reapir centre in person :hat S

Rsdw

Colin,

Sony W4000 or Samsung 656 series.

By the way most companies now offer Europe or world wide warranties, certainly Sony, do so it no longer matters where you purchase.

Roger.

colint42

whats the model you are after then, in murcia saturn stock most sonys and so do carrerfours but dont put all modles on website

Rsdw

Unfortunately neither Carrefour nor Richer Sounds sell the particular models I am looking at so it is either pay the full Spanish price or import.

Kind regards, Roger.

paul-sue

There is a thread on here called 3 pin plug fetish, the horrors of buying from uk type in search for it

chelseaphil

Personally, I would buy locally.  To buy a high tech piece of kit from the UK could potentially cause you problems.  If it goes wrong in the first year you have to spend a fortune sending it back. It only has a one year warranty with it.  Buy it here and you get two years warranty.   That alone pays for any additional costs in buying here.  Also, I am not sure that once you remove the product from the UK that the warranty is even still valid.  Phil

UEI

If you decide to buy in the UK it will cost you 125-150 to get it back to Spain.

BUYING TIP. Whatever you find in 'Comet' WILL be a LOT cheaper at 'Richer Sounds'.
Why Richer Sounds? Because, they are almost unique in that they honour their online prices in their stores! - And when you discovour just how much cheaper hey are, you can then then price match it in 'Curry's' (who are always the same price as 'Comet') and get a further 10% off in addition because of their 'PP' policy!

The saving works out good this way.

How do I know all this...??? - Guess what santa is bringing me???

colint42

you can get the sony 32"lcd in comet for £799 or 599€ in carrefour i know where i would go.
plus the cost of getting it over here and if it goes wroung sending back  i know where i would go.
also carrerfour do free delevery to here every weds and if you wait till jan 7th it WILL be cheaper i know where i would go.

Rsdw

Thank you for all your replies.  Having done a fair amount of research in terms of reading professional reviews and looking a the quality of the pictures I want either a particular Samsung or Sony both of which cost more than 1200€ locally but around 760€ on the net.  Whilst I always try and support local traders the difference in price is to much in this instance.  I may therefore buy in the UK in the new year as U.E.I suggests as they are about £760 in Comet.
Once again thanks for your comments, Roger.

UEI

Telly's are £200 - £400 cheaper in the UK than here right now (size dependant), so getting one over with Fred Phillips, jimbo or EPS may be an option???

andie

Quote from: "knowall"I think there are many advantages in buying from a local shop.

yep  i think yer wright,when its all things electrickery ie tellys & comptooters , warrentys ,as for local delivery,its easyer to get somthing delivered to the uk,then delvered door to door here,for a little more money,door to door here usally means any door or garage  :sun S

knowall

I think there are many advantages in buying from a local shop.

galeras1

Quote from: "cool solutions"Hi Roger

Its important to have a cast iron delivery address , 'the white casa just past the post boxes will not do' .I had mine delivered to a business address in Albox.

Colin

Even with a solid address and a contact telephone number written all over the packaging delivery is a lottery.  The best I have achieved is a rendezvous at the BP garage!  Several packages have been returned to sender as undeliverable.  An exhaust part was returned to Germany twice, despite being tracked to a delivery van in Albox, before the supplier and I gave it up as a bad job!  

If you do manage to achieve delivery think very hard about after sales if things go wrong.  No local contact means another fight with delivery van drivers.  I purchased a laminator from Lidl that went wrong.  Excellent service from the repair company totally let down by the couriers.  I arranged three meetings before achieving a swop.  All for an 18 euro item!  Only bloody-mindedness kept me going.

Best advice is shop locally from one of the recommended suppliers on the Forum.  The few euros lost on the interweb deal is more than recovered by local service. :head

cool solutions

Hi Roger

I bought an LCD TV for a customer from Carrefour Online. It arrived within three days, this was also during the period of this years transport demonstration.
Its important to have a cast iron delivery address , 'the white casa just past the post boxes will not do' .I had mine delivered to a business address in Albox

Regards

Colin

sheilsoft

I've used Pixmania.es before to buy a printer, which is a large online company with loads of models at IMHO reasonable prices and delivery rates.  :wave

Rsdw

Has anyone experience of buying a TV over the internet and can anyone recommend a particular company please?

Roger.