dishwasher stains

Started by JUD, March 16, 2018, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaH

In our household only one person needed to stack and remove dishes from washer but takes two to hand wash and hand dry the dishes.....apart from that would miss other half telling me ..." you've missed a bit "... :19:

zilnor

Some dishwashers do fully remove tea stains. There are only two of us so we bought the smallest cheapest one from Curry's . You could say it is a half-size machine.
I can honestly say it is the best  dishwasher I have ever had. And it will take full dinner setting of 8.

One advantage of a dishwasher is that the dishes are washed in hotter water than human hands can stand.
I would not be without mine. Each to our own.

JessicaH

No different with our family.  :41:
Because it filled a space in the kitchen have had one of these "must have" gadgets since 1986....but not only do we hate having dirty dishes around..even if hidden away...and realising the old, tried and tested method suited us better   :72:  we only use for the glassware after a party.
Apart from that drying up gives husband something to do............ :08:

Rod

When we visit our daughter in Marbella we are forever looking for mugs and plates. In the end we take them out of the dishwasher, wash them by hand so they can be used. Only two of them so we are told it must be filled up to save water.

JessicaH

I agree, Rod.
Even though I have a dishwasher think life is tooooo short wasting time stacking dishes after first using elbow grease to remove the baked on food and tannin stains because without doing so these gadgets never completely clean them.
Faster and easier to hand wash after every meal..especially if it's just for 2 or less people.
So let's be thankful we have kept up this ancient art and won't be panicked 🤯 when surrounded by dirty dishes when dishwasher goes wrong.

Rod

If it takes such a performance to get mugs clean before going in the dishwasher surely it is quicker to wash by hand.

JUD

life is too short to be wasting time washing by hand, hence a dishwasher .
Went to the bp garage to put air in my my tyres , they are now charging 1 euro, , said it was because of inflation !
regards to all.
Judd

Rod

All that hard work to get them OK for the dishwasher. Do what we do, wash them by hand every time, sorted.

JUD

Thanks hogs ,  my wife ending up  soaking the china mugs in white wine vinegar, only 2.50 euros for 5 lt , worked a treat , and rubbed the plates with lemon juice  (  ask aggy tip ) they are like new.
Judd

JUD

Thanks everyone for the replies, useful as always, we have run the dishwasher on high salt level, slight improvement , but  in the end have done want most have said, soaked the china beakers ,
Ta Jud

twojaysalmeria

Many, many years ago I worked summer holidays in hotel restaurants while the ski slopes were closed. Once a week all the cups were soaked in a light bleach solution, wiped and rinsed and then put into the commercial dishwasher. Worked a treat.

J

sallyb

It only seems to affect my bone china mugs I soak them in steradent or similar, they come up up like new.
Phyll

JessicaH

In Spain....Vim = Limpiador en polvo.

JessicaH

For removal of tannin stains ditch dishwasher and clean cups by hand using a smidgen of household bleach ( Leija ) ,in each cup, and filling them up with water. Leave to soak. Hand wash and dry.
For stained saucepans try a course/ corse ( cant remember how to spell it ) powder product..like Vim...and a green scourer. Make sure pans are well washed by hand afterwards.
Problems solved.

mickandjan

Quote from: Lynden on March 16, 2018, 11:17:58 AM
If the pots in question have been used for quite some time, and have been out through the dishwasher many times, they can accumulate micro scratches that can make stains difficult to shift.

I totally agree with this suggestion.  We had exactly the same problem, which has been resolved by buying new mugs. 

Lynden

If the pots in question have been used for quite some time, and have been out through the dishwasher many times, they can accumulate micro scratches that can make stains difficult to shift.

Elgin

I've stooped drinking tea now but when I did i found that tea stains would build up in the mug if washed in the dishwasher.  However, the stains would come out if washed by hand.  I think there are just some things dishwashers can't handle.  Dried on egg doesn't come out very well either.

JUD

Any ideas? The cups on the top rack are badly stained by tea stains, we use Finish products, their tablets, rinse aid & salt, so quality products. This problem has started recently & we have tried tweeking the rinse aid and salt levels with no success. The pots are clean but badly stained and unattractive. The dishwasher is very clean insude, the rotary arms & drainage filter in the base are removed and cleaned weekly,and the heater element works fine , so it is not a dirty dishwasher in any way.Our water supply is now good, and we have our own filter so it's good clean water. Its medium hardwater too, when showering the soap does foam up itsnot hard water now. We never used to have this problem, so what are we doing wrong ?