Pool filter

Started by tonychris, March 11, 2018, 10:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raysun

Great link and very informative. Seems to sort out much of what has been discussed.

tonychris

Thank you macc very helpful.

macc

Just to stop the niggling on your information request tonychris, here's a link that should explain it in an easier non combative  :97: way. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/swimming-pool-filters-sand-vs-glass-oc-1-filter-media-deborah-ekins

guest21828

I only posted the pool website for people to look at for information because there is so much involved in maintaining pools. Thank you for confirming JessicaH that you were talking about all pool filter sand being the same, I did wonder if you were talking about all sand including builders and beach sand.

As I've said before, I don't like text messages/posts etc because they can so easily be misunderstood and lead to confusion, as I did with your post JessicaH.

JessicaH

Thanks for that link stig.
Found this ..
"A properly sized sand filter should, in most cases, be able to operate continuously for a period of 4 weeks between backwashing."
And after 12 years every 4/5 weeks is still exactly the backwashing requirements of our pool.
So perhaps, as we were advised, spending extra time cleaning the pool and pump filter before hoovering ..does work. 
Hopefully still have a year or two before the sparkle leaves the pool.

By the way..was talking about all pool sand being = 🙄. Not comparing the stuff from a builders yard or beach.

guest21828

Interesting read about pool filters :- http://www.poolcenter.com/sandPoolFilter

Sand is not just sand, it does matter what type you use and I personally wouldn't use builders sand for example. I change the sand in my pool filter every five years because constant friction causes the sand particles to gradually lose its roughness, so it becomes rounded and less effective. Pool filters come in different sizes for different sized pools, the specifications for the filter are normally on a sticker which is on the filter, the sticker tells you the amount of water it circulates and the amount of sand it takes etc. Obviously there is a lot more to pools than just the filter sand but changing the sand at regular intervals helps as it is an important part of keeping a pool clean.

raysun

Whatever you say jessica.

JessicaH

Rayson, Think you do need that beer because you don't seem to comprehend all sand is the same. It's how you look after it that matters.🍻🍻

tonychris

Raysun. thank you for the info.

raysun

Jessica , tonychris asked a simple question which i gave a simple reply to in order to help.
Dont turn it into a war of words , ( my sand is better than your sand !! )
If it works for you then great . It didnt for me so 25  euro every 5 years for sand seems ok to me.
And glass is better and lasts much longer.
I need a beer now so adios.!!

JessicaH

Not defensive...just telling the truth..which you are not prepared to believe.
My husband also cleaned pools with our mate in Arboleas and difference is my husband is prepared to spend 2/3 hours on the cleaning our pool which is twice as long as a paid pool cleaner because, understandably, clients won't pay for the time. Consequently sand gets blocked with minutiae debris and eventually clogs up.

Trucker

JessicaH best you keep your sand then if you going to get defensive about it...I am no professional but did clean pools for a few years and did a lot of homework in how it all works...it was only advise..crack on..

JessicaH

Well, trucker,  if my sand is " next to useless" why is my pool always crystal clear and sharp.. ..plus without the use of extra additives.
Appreciate I can't prove it to you but other forum folk have seen, and commented on it.

A mate of mine, who had a pool in U.K., and now lives in Arboleas told me to make sure the pool was cleared of all debris and sides swept before hoovering or backwashing.
Excellent advice, because have done this since day 1, and although it can be time consuming.....it has obviously worked so far.

gingernut

I've had glass beads for the last 4 years as Raysun says they are more expensive but you never see any glass when you back wash unlike sand.

Trucker

After 12 years I think your sand will be next to useless...it will need changing every 3 to 5 years as it will lose its sharpness and efficiency..

JessicaH

Will change to glass if, and when, our sand clogs up.

Angleseyite

Quote from: JessicaH on March 11, 2018, 12:20:33 PM
My goodness. Only 4/5 years !! Had our pool for the last 12 years and apart from one bag to top it up it's still the original sand.

I changed mine last year to glass, it does appear to filter better and not clog ( for want of a better word), better backwash. It took me about 3 hrs to do, including washing the filter bowl. The glass worked out at €1/kilo. You need about 80% of the sand quantity.

JessicaH

My goodness. Only 4/5 years !! Had our pool for the last 12 years and apart from one bag to top it up it's still the original sand.

raysun

Sand needs changing every 4 or 5 years as it gets clogged up.
Glass replacemen is a bit more expensive but will last for ever. Almost.!!
Font almanzora by lidls will come out ,hoover out sand and replace at a reasonable cost.
Go see them for advice and cost.

tonychris

Does anyone know anything about using glass beads instead of sand in the pool filter?