What do you need to do to get English TV please?

Started by Dreamer, March 03, 2018, 16:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamer

Quote from: Chisme on March 03, 2018, 17:58:08 PM
Quote from: Dreamer on March 03, 2018, 16:36:01 PM
I am looking to get English TV channels, can anyone please advise what is the best option and idea of costs ?
We have a satellite in the garden but not sure if it works etc.
I have missed two weeks of coronation street and going cold turkey is not good  :c002:
Thank-you in advance.

Satellite TV is the best solution, but getting a large enough dish can be expensive. If the dish in your garden is 1.9m diameter or larger and you have a TV with a built-in satellite tuner then plug it in and try it. If you haven't got a TV with a built in satellite tuner but the dish is big enough, I suggest you borrow someone's tuner to see if it works. If you're not techy minded, I suggest getting someone who advertises on here to give you a quote to set it all in motion. But a satellite solution does only involve the initial capital costs: there are no monthly running costs for standard free-to-air TV.

If your dish is too small, then you might want to get TV on-line. The cheapest solution is a Smart DNS set up on your router to enable you to use BBCiPlayer, ITVhub, channel4 and channel5: all offering live and catchup TV. Unfortunately only BBC is in HD, but the others offer reasonable SD quality. https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?msclkid=e24d079998161e426d055d0346ea63bd offers a 14 days free trial - they then keep offering cheaper and cheaper solutions to get you to subscribe: if you wait long enough, they offer 79% off their standard price bringing the cost to $24.90 for 2 years. This also provides a VPN to give you access to pretty much anything throughout the World which would normally be geographically restricted.

Good luck.

Glad someone knows what they`re talking about! As you can tell I don't have a clue. My satellite looks 1m but will measure and take it from there. thank-you very much for taking the time to offer advise.

guest4538

Quote from: Dreamer on March 03, 2018, 16:36:01 PM
I am looking to get English TV channels, can anyone please advise what is the best option and idea of costs ?
I have missed two weeks of coronation street and going cold turkey is not good  :c002:
Thank-you in advance.

Satellite TV is the best solution, but getting a large enough dish can be expensive. If the dish in your garden is 1.9m diameter or larger and you have a TV with a built-in satellite tuner then plug it in and try it. If you haven't got a TV with a built in satellite tuner but the dish is big enough, I suggest you borrow someone's tuner to see if it works. If you're not techy minded, I suggest getting someone who advertises on here to give you a quote to set it all in motion. But a satellite solution does only involve the initial capital costs: there are no monthly running costs for standard free-to-air TV.

If your dish is too small, then you might want to get TV on-line. The cheapest solution is a Smart DNS set up on your router to enable you to use BBCiPlayer, ITVhub, channel4 and channel5: all offering live and catchup TV. Unfortunately only BBC is in HD, but the others offer reasonable SD quality. https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/?msclkid=e24d079998161e426d055d0346ea63bd offers a 14 days free trial - they then keep offering cheaper and cheaper solutions to get you to subscribe: if you wait long enough, they offer 79% off their standard price bringing the cost to $24.90 for 2 years. This also provides a VPN to give you access to pretty much anything throughout the World which would normally be geographically restricted.

Good luck.

raysun

Gary is your man . He will come and see what you have and then what you need. Honest genuine guy.
On the forum as olive25

Malcolm

Speak to Gary West on 620198162 and you will get the proper advice from an expert. Loads of recommendations for him on here.

Dreamer

Quote from: shadeseeker on March 03, 2018, 17:26:13 PM
Hi we have a large satellite dish and a humax box so we don't miss any programmes.
We also have the ability to watch one programme whilst recording anothet channel,so if we have to go out we can revord and watch later.
The very best option in my opinion.

We have a large satellite dish but not sure if its big enough, how big does it need to be? Also where would I find a humax box and Would I need to pay monthly etc? I don't know anything about tv out here. It was easy in the uk just had sky for everything.
I1ve had the internet connected so far so that a start.
Thank-you

shadeseeker

Hi we have a large satellite dish and a humax box so we don't miss any programmes.
We also have the ability to watch one programme whilst recording anothet channel,so if we have to go out we can revord and watch later.
The very best option in my opinion.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

Dreamer

Quote from: byrney on March 03, 2018, 17:16:51 PM
Good internet connection and subscribe to Filmon (€15 a month) is probably the cheapest option.  Others (providers) will tell you otherwise.

If you want Sky sports etc, use something like Mobdro and Cricfree tv - both free.  Works for me.

Do I just google Filmon ?
Thank-you

byrney

Good internet connection and subscribe to Filmon (€15 a month) is probably the cheapest option.  Others (providers) will tell you otherwise.

If you want Sky sports etc, use something like Mobdro and Cricfree tv - both free.  Works for me.

Dreamer

I have missed two weeks of coronation street and going cold turkey is not good  :c002:
Thank-you in advance.