Huercal Overa hospital

Started by alfore, February 15, 2018, 11:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddie

So sorry to hear about your husband, glad to hear he is on the mend

tandas

Well my husband had a heart attack on wed, Dr Ernesto came with the ambulance, he was taken to HO hospital intensive care then to Almeria for an angiogram, back to HO where because it was very busy he had to wait in intensive care until a ward bed was available.  Not being able to speak or understand much Spanish wasn't helpful but I can't fault the staff.  He is stuck in now until he sees a consultant tomorrow and the food is grim but hopefully he's home then.
The worst thing is the other patient's family in the two person ward who stay most of the night with the TV on loud and all the lights on!
Plus kids riding bikes in the corridor from the children's wards.  No privacy curtains right round the bed and no consideration for the other patient's comfort.  They helped save his life but he'll be very glad to be back home.

Iberlynx

Jimel, I think that you will find that working life NI contributions in Spain are a lot higher than the UK and continue at a higher rate after retirement, my partner has about €150 per month deducted from her reduced pension, due to not having a full record, but still receives more than I do.

Rod

I had a new hip done at the end of November and no problems with staff etc.

ramblagirl

Apparently now a friend has been told via a phone call from the hospital that because of the lack of personnel at Huercal Overa she can have her cataract operation done at a private hospital at the Spanish system's expense. Obviously for most this would involve more travelling, probably to Almeria, but at least it gets the job done.

zilnor

Thanks Jimel,  I did'nt see that post, so apologies to Trucker for my last post.

Jimel

I think Trucker was referring to Rtis comments,which he/she has now removed! Just as well as they were awful!!😁

zilnor

Not sure what your point is Trucker. Where did I say that I "begrudge others that don't get  enough pension to pay tax
at all ".
" And all because you don't think it right for Spain to get the said tax' .  Can you explain what you mean ?
Confused.com

Jimel

On your way to the bakery Trucker,can you pop into Oxfam and get me a warm winter coat?? :16:

Trucker

How strange...you lucky enough to have a big enough pension that you have to pay tax on but begrudge others that dont get enough pension to pay tax at all...case of im all right Jack...and all because you dont think it right for Spain to get the said tax..O well must go to bakery see if they have any dried bread left to dip in my water.. :03:

Jimel

It would be better to pay the British pensioners a proper pension like the Spanish get. Our Spanish neighbours were appalled at our pittance when they enquired!

Rtis

Not many weeks ago H/Overa hospital was the place to be when ill, it now appears to be a bit different, if and when we have to use the hospital/health service here and it comes down to paying Privately we would not be able to afford it !! Maybe by stopping the holiday pay for Spanish pensioners here would help the health service .

zilnor

I fail to see how some of us are "slamming Roger" because we disagree with part of his post. Disagreement is part of any debate.

We know that NICs are not sufficient to cover everything,but what politician would be brave enough to say that both NICs and PAYE need to be significantly increased. Does'nt gain you votes !

Until the UK system is changed, it is  reasonable for those who have paid NICs to expect healthcare and pensions.

Roger

Of course the Spanish also pay through their SS
But many still are prepared to top it up when needed by going private,
Much more so than in the UK.
It is a different attitude because the Spanish do not expect the state to provide everything, hence they expect to care for their elderly relatives themselves.
At a private hospital it is common to see a working couple bring their elderly parents for private treatment, obviously paid for by their children.

As has been clearly stated, the NI contributions in the UK do not provide enough for the NHS and Social Care.
This has to be added to a lot from general taxes, but the Government makes a big thing about keeping taxes low to win votes.

Hogs
The figure given is the average per person in Spain. Yes the UK pays Spain a lot more than that to cover UK pensioners, who cost more than the average for health treatment, hence the difference in the figures which was decided through negotiation.

Elgin

Poor Roger is being slammed because everybody has paid their National Insurance all their life and therefore is entitled to unlimited healthcare, pensions and welfare benefits.  Unfortunately the data suggests that if it was down to National Insurance contributins you wouldn`t get half of what is currently provided.  UK central government spending on health, pensions and welfare in 2017 was just over £250bn (health was £140bn alone), National Insurance receipts were £125bn (of that about £70bn was employers contributions).  At the end of the day NI, these days, is just another tax that goes into the pot.

To put some facts to some other comments UK healthcare spending is about £2,777 per person where as the Andalucian health service gets just €1,080 per person.  Not surprisingly, the health service here has some issues but I still think it does remarkably well on the very limited funding.

zilnor

britters191

Well said.
My husband and I have paid a total of 75 years of NIC between us, like millions of other Brits.
And my husband pays taxes on his pensions.

How can Roger say  ..."....in the UK where people expect everything to be free " . A small minority do, but to imply that we all do is totally incorrect. A fair number of Brits use private healthcare , so tell us Roger,how  does this differ from Spain ?
It now seems that the Public Health Service  in Spain is struggling. It would struggle even more it it had to service 20 million extra people like the UK NHS has to. 65 mill UK to 45 mill Spain.

StellaL

People don't expect everything for free in the U.K. Roger, but having paid NI contributions all their lives they expect to get the treatment they have paid for. I believe if you can afford it you should pay, but I don't have a problem with people expecting to get NHS treatment.
Stella

Queen Clare Shirley

Then you have deal with the healthcare that is here and the waits and care that are not the same as they were 10 years ago due to drastic cutbacks and lack of funding.

Roger is quite correct, the Spanish will take private health if the SS takes too long and I sometimes feel the hospitals know this and try to drag out certain treatments.

ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

britters191

Please may I correct you on a part of your contribution.  We British do not expect everything to be free.  We pay for our healthcare throughout our working lives via our NI contributions.  We do, however, expect to receive the care that we have paid for.....

Roger

Half way through my wifes eye treatment the eye clinic closed.
After a long delay we were offered appointments at the hospital in BAZA.
By then we had gone private and received incredible treatment at VISSUM in Almeria.
The initial scans cost 50 euros.
But the laser treatment cost 500 euros.
However we were then recommended a further injection (my wife had lost the sight in one eye due to a thrombosis in the retina vein, which apparently is quite common when you get older).
This is a new injection from the US, but costs 1000 euros.
Phew, but it worked!!

As for urology, we have had a lot of appointments, all of them very efficient.
Surgery may be a different issue.
The hospital often uses the private radiology facility near Lidl for scans when they are under pressure, but is covered by the SS.

As for a private surgery, the best thing is to go to Hospital Virgin del Mar in Almeria.
They have translation service and no problem getting an appointment.
A lot of Spanish use this option, either paying for private insurance to back up their SS, or paying with credit card.
You will see a lot of ordinary working class Spanish using the private hospital because the Spanish seem to value health higher than the UK, where people expect everything to be free.

The Reiver

I was referred to the private hospital down the road from Lldls in H.O yesterday for a scan. It is on the left hand side of the road about half way down. Park in a side street.

lorrydriver

This situation is becoming extremely concerning. Surprising the spanish are not up in arms about the extreme cut backs. This was a highly rated hospital some years ago and money is being spent in the wrong places. Not all spanish or english have the facility of being able to travel elsewhere. The whole situation needs addressing and promptly  :73:

tandas

As I understand the staffing situation at HO hospital they are only offered one month contracts so are leaving in droves.  Lots of referrals are being redirected to other hospitals perhaps your doctor can find out if that's possible for you.  It would mean travelling but you may be seen earlier.  For a private referral perhaps Cats can help with info.  Good luck.

alfore

I wonder does anyone know the situation with medical staff now in Huercal Overa?  Especially regarding urology.  Following surgery last May  I have been waiting for an appointment since July and eventually got one for last Tuesday when I was given another for April.  I have now seen numerous different urologists and the last one had obviously not read my notes.  Last July I was told that I would have a much needed further operation within three months.  I am considering whether to go privately but have no idea how to go about it.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Alan