Contacting Leishmaniasis

Started by Brogan27, January 12, 2018, 17:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brogan27

Thanks to every one who replied, we have done some investigations in England and a few vets in London will inject against disease, but course has to be started 10 weeks before departure, we depart in 3 weeks.
Cost £112.00 per dog.
We have ordered a scalibor collar each, and we use advantix anyway, but usually only in summer in uk,
Another recommendation was garlic to food alt weeks?
We will certainly arrange to visit vet asap, on arrival but at least we can use collars.
If any one has seen a dog and puppies die from this money does not come into it.

bagwash

Vacinating expensive ???  Depends on how much you value your dog

The Gardener

Phone no. for Juan is 950 120123 to make an appointment.  He and his wife Maria speak very good English as do the other staff there.

You can vaccinate against leish but I believe it is pretty expensive and not always appropriate but Juan will explain.

bagwash

Our 3 dogs have a once yearly injection, vets being nexo

Brogan27

Thanks for your advice, do you have details of your vet Juan,  does he speak English our Spanish is poor they are already chipped and have pet passports, we won't probably be in Spain July/ August, and dogs will def be indoors at night

The Gardener

I would recommend that you visit a local vet (can recommend Juan) as soon as you arrive. He will explain and advise all about leish and the options available, and your dogs will need to be chipped anyway.  Different dog owners have different ideas as to their preferred methods of prevention for sand fly (leishmaniasis), ticks and fleas.  I have two small dogs and so the Scalibor collars are not really suitable for them and I therefore use another product.  The sand fly is particularly active between 10.00 pm and 2.00 am during the hottest months of the year so it is advisable to keep your dogs in at night. 

Good luck and welcome to Albox.

Brogan27

We have completed on a property in Albox, arriving in 3 weeks. We are bringing a standard poodle and a miniature schnauzer. We lived near Malaga in 80's one of boxer dogs contract Leish. But it didn't become apparent. For 10 months, despite 6 mo th quarantine. We lost whole litter of pups, a cat who suckled of mum and then Prue aged 4.
Our English vet said we could get them injected against it, once in Spain also get a collar.
I have read previous stories with horror, and wondered what we are moving to. Any information would be appreciated.
Our vet did say there were tablets available in Spain that weren't available in England.
Thanks