Doctors home visits?

Started by JulieRoger, December 10, 2017, 17:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulieRoger

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I appreciate it.

elcortijo

Elgin, they dont always do that with a mobile phone. We had to send a screenshot of our location which we downloaded following their instructions.

If you live in an area difficult to find, search for your location on your mobile phone now, whilst you think of it, and screenshot it and save it to your photo album for future use.

I live within 100m of a main road and they couldnt find me.

We are lucky to have Albox Urgencia, as in our emergency we would not have made it to Huercal Overa hospital in time.

Elgin

If you call 112 with a mobile phone they can pinpoint where you are immediately.

Roger

We live in a very backward corner of Spain, and this shows up most for out of hours medical treatment.
My Spanish neighbors say you should never wait for an ambulance and should never go to Albox.
Get in the car and go straight to Huercal Overa Hospital.
Of course not always possible.

From experience with my wife and neighbours on many occasions ...

During local surgery hours you get a doctor and nurse at your house very quickly.
During normal working hours you will usually get a good ambulance service (if they can find you!), but not always.

My wife came off her horse in a rambla in El Prado.
Within 15 minutes we got an ambulance and 2 paramedics.
However when my neighbour needed an ambulance during the day we got the ambulance quickly to the house, but just a driver, no medical staff. He wanted me to go in the ambulance as backup to the hospital.
Next time I carried her to my car and went straight to the hospital, where the staff were great.

On another occasion at 4am my wife collapsed. The ambulance came within less than an hour, but they only had a gurney which would not go around the corridor, so they had to carry her.
Took her to Albox where the doctor came to see her still in the ambulance.
He said take her to Huercal Overa. So an hour wasted.

But when there was a serious accident we got police, bomberos, paramedics, and a copter on call, very quickly, during the day.

So best to not be ill at night or during fiestas!!
Or go to live in a big town where the infrastructure is in place.

lorrydriver

If at all possible ALWAYS get the person into a car and to Huercal A&E

terina

We recently had 2 occurences with an elderly neighbour in the middle of the night.   112 was dialled and if you require a doctor with the ambulance you must state with medico.   She lives in a place which is not easy to find it is always best to arrange with the ambulance to meet them somewhere with a car and guide them there especially as in our case it was the middle of the night.    They often want an additional person to help lift the stretcher into the ambulance.    Take your mobile phone and use the translator app if your Spanish is not good
Also put something warm for the person in the ambulance, blanket etc. as it was very cold in there

elcortijo

Sorry, I dont know about doctor's visiting your home, but a couple of weeks ago we had a medical emergency in the early hours of a morning and called an ambulance. All I can say that the experience was frightening. It took so long for the operator to actually get our location and we actually speak fluent spanish. In the end the operator sent a whatsapp to my phone and we attached a gps map of our location. Great we thought, but no, we were then passed to another operator who needed to make an assessment of what our needs were! All of this wastes precious time. It was quicker for us to get in the car and drive to the Urgencia in Albox. The building was locked up when we arrived, but a lot of pressing the bell and using the car's horn soon woke up the staff. Once inside, they were brilliant.

Tetley

Unless sombody nows first hand,I think you would be better driving to hercual overall
with a fluent translator.

If it's extrem you need an ambulance with doctor,but ask for a doctor otherwise they may just send an ambulance driver
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

JulieRoger

We live in Arboleas. If we have the need to see a doctor out of hours is it possible to have a doctor call to the house or is this only in normal surgery hours?
If yes, please could we have the telephone number to ring?
Or is it a case of getting the person into the car and taking them to Huercal Overa hospital or the Albox Medical Centre? Is the Albox Medical Centre open 24 hours?
Any advice will be gratefully received. Thank you.
We have our Spanish medical cards.