Disability aids

Started by frannan, December 03, 2017, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilnor

Tandas,

So very true.
When my mum went into a care home, I contacted a local charity who helped the homeless to furnish their home when they finally got somewhere to live. My mum had a three piece suite, a nice rug, a table and four chairs, wardrobes etc. All in good condition and clean.
Not good enough it seems. When they quoted health n safety to me I admit to getting stroppy. I pointed out that my mum had lived with these items of furniture for the last thirty five years  of her life, and she had  reached the age of 93 without any problems.  :38

End result was the Salvation Army were very pleased to take my mum's stuff and assured me it would be appreciated by whoever received it.

tandas

Pity that We're not in the UK.  My brother has just taken all of these things and more to the tip after my father passed away.  He couldn't find anyone who wanted to have them not even charities!  Same with all his furniture and kitchenware, seems that it's a throwaway society now!!  Everyone wants brand new on tick not someone else's secondhand.  Such a shame.

cgmaywood

If you only need them for a short time ask Harmony Community Support in CAT Services.  They lend out items for a donation.  We borrowed crutches from them after my husband had his hip op.

Chrissy

frannan

Thanks for all the information. If anyone has any second-hand items please let me know

siestakey

Yes the Age Support Information Centre is indeed in Avenida Lepanto opposite APSA and just up from Chapmans. Open Tuesday to Friday from 10 am to 1pm. The volunteers will be delighted to help you with loan items - free of charge - though a donation is appreciated, to help with providing emotional and practical support for older people in the area. Best wishes, Liz (phone number for Age Support is 634 316 573)

terina

The Age Concern place also has a number of these items for loan (for nothing) It is opposite the APSA shop on Avenida Lepanto (I think) 

shadeseeker

Yes I agree, I have bought a wheelchair there and at a good price
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

soosoo

There's a shop in Albox just around the corner from the Ramble cafe. Think it's called Ortopedia El Saliente. They sell all sorts of aids. 😁

frannan

Looking for : -

raised toilet seat

Shower stool

Light weight foldable wheelchair