ITV

Started by gingernut, November 26, 2017, 10:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longsands

My car failed on the emission test much to my surprise because every 12 months I service the car a 1.9tdi, usually having  only done 3 or 4000 kilometres.  I also put in a can of System Fuel Cleaner about a week before the test.  One thing I didn't do though as suggested was to keep the engine running whilst waiting for the test.  The garage I sought advice from told me to buy a can of Wynn's, Diesel Power 3, obtained from the car accessory shop opposite Dia Supermarket. I was told to put it in the tank then run it up and down the motorway in a low gear at 3000 revs for about half an hour.  This I did, returned to the test centre and it passed the test.       

raysun

Yes of course they vary as they  do in other countries,
as tetley says if the tester really puts his foot down on the emissions test  most older cars will struggle  not to have black smoke  blasting out and test failed.

RedEyes

Reading the link Tetley gave, I see it says "... the standard facilitates the free choice of ITV station when the result is unfavorable or negative".

Now, maybe it's just me, but this confirms something that I have always thought to be the case, namely that standards vary from one test centre to another.  Surely this should not be the case for a government mandatory test?  There should be absolutely no difference in the test standard from one station to another, if there are differences then something should be done to erase them, not give the advice to try somewhere else if you don't like the result from the first one.

Rtis

Go to the "Garage" next to the bowling alley they have only Forte products which are renowned worldwide,about 20 euros a bottle.

Tetley

Quote from: raysun on November 27, 2017, 14:38:34 PM
You can also put  three quarters of a gallon of petrol in a fullish tank of diesel  and it does the same thing.
just do or not add other additives more than once as it will damage injectors eventually.
you need to do some long runs  in 3rd or 4th gear with revs around 3000 and should clear system.
30 miles should do it.

correct this is what the old deisel fitters use to do to cure smokey injectors,however folks can pour as many majic potions down the tank as they wish ..it wont cure mechanical or electrical faults.

i use to run nissan vans in the uk,we used to put a tine of majic in the tank,blast em down the road and if we still couldnt get the smokes down,remove the air filter and back the pump off.

(a bit more on the ITV news apparently there testing sooper dooper new emissions testing gear ready for 2018 and you will be able to re test at any ITV  centre   http://www.elmundo.es/economia/2017/10/20/59ea3ae822601d88678b4663.html    )

however if the majic potions work thats wonderfull and it will be a very quick fix for what can be a very costly problem.

the other thing is with deisel emissons is,befor you go for ITV  change the deisel filter and air filter and make sure your timing belts are in good fettle,because they rev the nutts off em in Albox for the test.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

raysun

You can also put  three quarters of a gallon of petrol in a fullish tank of diesel  and it does the same thing.
just do or not add other additives more than once as it will damage injectors eventually.
you need to do some long runs  in 3rd or 4th gear with revs around 3000 and should clear system.
30 miles should do it.

markandkaren

try and get this stuff. it works. our car (Tdci) has always passed since the very first one. this year failed. took it to my usual garage, told me to get this stuff. passed its emissions without touching the engine. the mechanic told me ever since the VW debacle, they've been hot on emissions to the point of "re-calibrating" the analyzer  :)   

the instructions on the back of the tin reads:

with diesel tank on reserve ( red), pour in contents then add a MAXIMUM of fifteen litres of diesel (i put ten litres).. and thats it.

do a minimum of 50 kms on high-ish revs, (120kmh in 4th on mine along the bypass next to albox station) and leave engine running outside the station until called in. if it fails after that then there is something not right with the engine.  i now put a tank full of known brand at least once every 2 months and probably a month before the next itv with the magic elixir of course.    hope this helps.

mark

raysun

Also make sure you have a good run before the test to get the engine as hot as possible
dipthane is used before a test to clean injectors and smoke.
i wouldent use it other than for test as it will eventually damage injectors.

PuffTheMagicDragon

As I understand it, the difference between 'normal' fuel and cheap fuel, is the addition of additives, or not!

Benjamin Franklin

I agree with uslot above.
My van failed on emissions a couple of years ago. I took it straight to the garage that services it for me. They put an additive in the half full fuel tank that cleans injectors. I drove it back to the ITV station at high revs and it passed.
I now buy the additive from Mora Oil every 6 months and it passes every time.
It costs less than 10€ and keeps the engine "clean". A bargain I reckon.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Tetley

The other thing is there re vamping the ITV  test in 2018 with an emphasis on emissions.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

uslot

First try an "Italian tune up", that is get the engine hot then drive in low gears, high revs. You should see a load of black smoke come out of the exhaust, drive until the smoke clears. The ITV tester told me to drive round for 10mins once after my car failed. Make sure the engine is hot for the ITV. Also there are additives you can add to the fuel.

Jo-JoB

Agree with Tet's, he is a fountain of knowledge!

But keeping your car serviced helps, changing Oil, Air filters and new engine oil reduced the emissions, old Engine Oil produces more carbon based fumes which are burnt through your engine and are picked up by the probe during the test.

If you change your Oils and filters every 6 to 8 thousand miles your engine will last far longer, If you consider that Oil is relatively cheap and Engines are always expensive, its well worth it.

Tetley

its depends on the age of the car and the engine type,if its an older deisel engine the fuel pump can be adjusted,if its a modern deisel engine the ECU Type box can be adjusted electronicly by a deisel engineer.

however worn engines rais immisions as well ie piston rings,valve seal rubbers also modern cars run on censors,so immesions can be a real expense unless its a quick adjust / fix.

if the car is deisel there is a good deisel shop at lorca that do both modern & older engines

if its a petrol engine most garages with the fault find program for the car should be able to sort it as it might just be a lambarda sensor.

gingernut

I'm confused (those who know me not supprised)a friend of ours has just had there car itv'd it failed on emmisions the itv runs out end of this month,they were told they have two months to get it sorted??

Anyway not been a car buff how do you reduce them,they said it should have been 150 there's was 300.