Clematis.

Started by stean, November 14, 2017, 09:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stean

Many thanks, I will put some small stones in the pot to keep the roots cool as you say. :c017:

shadeseeker

Just an extra thought, clematis like their roots cool. I have mine planted in the ground with the bottom of the plant about 3/4 inches below the existing surface and then cover the soil with stones or similar to keep the roots in the shade and cool.
Good luck again.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

shadeseeker

Hi, I have two and the pruning time depends on the type you have. Mine flower on the new growth so I cut back down to about 1 foot but not now, I do it when I see fresh green shoots about end Feb / March
The Montana varieties Bloom on old wood from previous year so don't hard prune just tidy it up.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
'tis better to remain silent and appear an idiot than to open your mouth and forever remove all doubt! (translation from Ancient Wisdom of Confucius)

stean

I planted a clematis in a pot in the spring and it flowered all summer now all the leaves have died and the stem is all woody, do I cut it right back or just leave it be. advice please.

Thanks. stean