VPN

Started by Oats, November 07, 2017, 09:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest4538

Quote from: Oats on November 08, 2017, 22:58:23 PM
Thank you Chisme. Problem now solved. Instead of right clicking on the sound icon on the task bar, which I have been checking for days, I just clicked it and could see that my TV was listed twice. I moved the selection to the one before and hey presto I now have sound. This must have happened when the cable was unplugged for a day and it created another version on the sound icon, without me realising. Lesson learnt. The 2nd VPN was purchased because of problems with Hotspotshield, not one for PC and one for laptop. I will look at your suggestion - thank you.

Good news, well done.

Oats

Thank you Chisme. Problem now solved. Instead of right clicking on the sound icon on the task bar, which I have been checking for days, I just clicked it and could see that my TV was listed twice. I moved the selection to the one before and hey presto I now have sound. This must have happened when the cable was unplugged for a day and it created another version on the sound icon, without me realising. Lesson learnt. The 2nd VPN was purchased because of problems with Hotspotshield, not one for PC and one for laptop. I will look at your suggestion - thank you.

guest4538

Quote from: Oats on November 08, 2017, 19:03:13 PM
I pay for 2 separate VPN's and connect my PC to the TV via an HDMI cable, voile - I can normally watch the UK TV no problem but as I said at the beginning I have now lost the sound. I have a horrible feeling that something may be wrong with the HDMI cable as Hotspotshield works perfectly OK on my laptop via Wifi with sound so me thinks it must be the cable that's a fault.

Have you checked your PC speaker settings? That's probably muted, then the volume control on your TV remote will do nothing! In Windows, you'll find the speaker control on the taskbar, bottom right of your screen.

I doubt you have a problem with your HDMI cable, but you can always check that by trying a different HDMI cable - you could probably borrow one from a neighbour.

Incidentally, rather than paying for two separate VPNs, one on your PC and one on your laptop, it might be worth considering setting up a Smart DNS on your router. It would work out much cheaper and all equipment connected by wire or through your WiFi would have the benefit of being able to access UK TV and other geographically restricted websites. There are several suppliers. Here's an example giving a 2 week free trial and, during the trial, they make an offer of less than $2/month to continue with them: https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/.

Oats

I pay for 2 separate VPN's and connect my PC to the TV via an HDMI cable, voile - I can normally watch the UK TV no problem but as I said at the beginning I have now lost the sound. I have a horrible feeling that something may be wrong with the HDMI cable as Hotspotshield works perfectly OK on my laptop via Wifi with sound so me thinks it must be the cable that's a fault.

guest4538

Quote from: Oats on November 07, 2017, 12:29:56 PM
Quote from: Chisme on November 07, 2017, 10:32:28 AM
Quote from: Oats on November 07, 2017, 09:20:25 AM
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am using a VPN to watch the TV via either PIA or Hotspotshield. However, in the past 5 days or so I have not had any sound. I can see the programmes but can't hear them. Could this be because of slow speed or something else?

Since the problem is the same with two separate VPNs it sounds like a local network problem. I presume you've checked that you have sound for all other non-VPN activities?

Yes, normal TV works fine and VPN works on the laptop but just not on the TV at the moment. Never had this problem before. I just wonder whether it's the lack of speed that is causing this to happen. Thanks for replying

I'm afraid I do not understand. How are you using a VPN on a TV?

olive25

I would guess the speed isn't the issue as if anything the sound would be ok & the video would suffer as video is very heavy on the bandwidth.

Oats

Quote from: Chisme on November 07, 2017, 10:32:28 AM
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am using a VPN to watch the TV via either PIA or Hotspotshield. However, in the past 5 days or so I have not had any sound. I can see the programmes but can't hear them. Could this be because of slow speed or something else?

Since the problem is the same with two separate VPNs it sounds like a local network problem. I presume you've checked that you have sound for all other non-VPN activities?

Yes, normal TV works fine and VPN works on the laptop but just not on the TV at the moment. Never had this problem before. I just wonder whether it's the lack of speed that is causing this to happen. Thanks for replying

guest4538

Oats