Solar powerd lights

Started by MigMan, November 02, 2017, 10:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigMan

With reference to the above does any one know who sells the waterproof exterior junction boxes as the only Ines I can find are the ones with all the rubber grommits in them from tapia but they leak. I just need some plain sealed boxes so I can place the wiring in there with a block connect or

MigMan

Hi yes I did think about 12v but as it would still involve cables I may as well stick to the current plan of 240v especially as I already have most of the lights, only this time I will connect everything correctly. Many thanks

BassBunny

Why not use Low Voltage lights? That way you just need to house a transformer or 2 in a waterproof housing and then low voltage cable to the lights.
I have a Ring LV system in my garden and it has been in for around 15-20 years and apart from changing the odd bulb it has been faultless. The lights come in all different designs and you don't have to bury the low-voltage cable.
Just a thought.

MigMan

Hi, thank you everyone yes the replies I have got back have answered my question & made my decision a lot easier. As I suspected the solar lights are not going to work for me and yes there is the huge expense, especially given I would need to buy over 20 lights. 
I will stick to mains supply (3/5watt per light) but as the old system has been in a while now plus the fact I'm extending the lights I may as well start from scratch and re do them all properly complete with waterproof boxes timers etc.
                                                                 Thank you again kind regards Rodger

Lorraine

The only solar lights that we have found successful are the little fairy lights from maplins (they last years) and these are just for prettiness. Solar "lights" per se are rubbish. They are way finders at best and deteriorate rather quickly. We have bought several types and have found none of them to be successful. We have cable runs all over the garden now, enclosed in pipes and it is all weather proof. We have some upturned pots on the green lights under the trees because they do suffer in the rain. Hope this has been of some use.

cag

Hi try lidl when they have them in we bought two proberbly 5year ago no probs ever

Rtis

Solar lighting, unless you want to spend a huge amount forget it !!! just run your 50m around the garden ,terminate into boxes (Water tight) and then tap off where ever .

MigMan

Hi I'm considering re doing all my garden lights after one or two problems with water etc, as well as looking at adding some extra ones. After a lot of debating what & how to do it I thought about going down the road of solar powered lights, however as I know very little or nothing about them I wondered if any one could advice me if this is a good choice as I have heard mixed reactions from people. Don't get me wrong I'm not doing it to save electric as all my lights although on 240v mains use very little power as they are all fitted with low energy 5w bulbs.
I'm thinking more on the terms of not having to run 50m of cable all over hell & creation, as well as no maintenance.
I'm looking at lanterns on walls gate post lights that sort of thing, as I say I have heard mixed comments which put me off some what especially when I hear they hardly give any light off & no good after 3 years, so if any one could help me on this matter as well as advice me the best place to  view & buy them I would much appreciate it.
PS I did buy some off the Saturday market from the solar stall just to try, the ones you stick in the floor but they hardly give any light off so to be honest its put me off them a little, not that there is any thing wrong with them, they just were not what I was expecting.
Kind regards Migman