BBC1 et al have returned...

Started by JessicaH, October 18, 2017, 21:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetley

Build a wall same as Trump.... :57:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

byrney

Assume K4 means those living beneath the radar over here.

raysun

Karen4

Quote from: Lorraine on October 30, 2017, 10:34:27 AM
When we first came here 10 years ago I must be honest, British people were friendlier. Now there are so many of us, it's just like England and everyone totally ignores everyone else.
:86:Let's deport some...we could start with the "illegals" perhaps?!
Cl3880

byrney

"Now there are so many of us, it's just like England and everyone totally ignores everyone else".

Never had that problem with either Brits, Spanish, Moroccans, Belgians, French, or any other Countries for that matter.

I always get an Hola, Buenas Dia, or whatever.

But I find it helpful if you take the effort to acknowledge them first though.

I think this is difficult for some of our more aloof ex-pats.

Tetley

Quote from: raysun on October 30, 2017, 12:08:36 PM
Great to have uk and brexit posts in a section of its own and so easy to ignore. It was too easy before to make a comment and then get not so nice replies.
nice and peaceful here now.

yes were all nice and out of the way up i the loft....along with all the other hair looms / loons  :))

mind you its not all good up there either as the" Red Buskertears UKBrexit circular firing squad "seem to  have bamboozled each other....or the pennys finaly dropped  that they have  X up lol

got ti dash were still on olives,5 .30 am start this morning now in training  for mi zero hours  uk jobs in 2019.... :))   :welcome:
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

raysun

Great to have uk and brexit posts in a section of its own and so easy to ignore. It was too easy before to make a comment and then get not so nice replies.
nice and peaceful here now.

Lorraine

When we first came here 10 years ago I must be honest, British people were friendlier. Now there are so many of us, it's just like England and everyone totally ignores everyone else.

JessicaH

Felipe, please don't take it personally as all forums re Spain c 2005 were much nicer than now mainly perhaps because  people needed one another....we had a had a mutual interest... :08:which certainly wasn't  Brexit  :41: but relocating to Spain.
Now forums are no more than battlegrounds for the knowalls, bored, grumpy, down right nasty (for the fun of it ), those intent on stirring up trouble and the  misoginistic ...rather like the world in general.

Brings to mind that well known expression...spoken long before the invention of the Internet....
....the devil makes work for idle hands.....and it seems the devil is having a field day.
But not for me.....coffee break over..I am back to my passion...gardening in Spain.

felipe

Jessica, I feel I have to say something here. If you look at the posts concerning those you mention 95% of them are contained within the UK board and are mainly to do with Brexit. As you say most those member either no longer live in Spain or live most of the time in the UK.

The vast majority of other members that post ask and respond to help or information about living here in Spain. On the rare occasion one of the others may step in with some stupid comment which now being removed by me. The forum, the UK bit excepted, is very much the same as it was when Jason was running it up to 5 years ago. He often had people stirring things up and they had to be reprimanded and that was before Brexit!! He also charged for advertising.

So very little has changed, in fact I would argue, but then I would I suppose, that it is better now that it has ever been. I just wish Brexit never happened and wish I could ban all discussion about it on the forum. We sign up an average of 2 new members per day many of whom are from the UK and seeking advice about this area.

There are very few bullets to dodge if you stay away from the UK board. Leave that to those that still believe Brexit is right and to those that no longer live here. None of them hardly ever post elsewhere on the forum. Tetley for all his deliberate typing errors, does proffer good info when needed about this part of Spain.

chrispaulmud

Hi not having used our sky box for a long time just wondering what frequency code you are using at the moment to be able to get sky channels thanks

Billybantam

Anyone had a 1.8/1.9 dish fitted lately who is happy with the work & cost. PM details if you can please.

Rod

My dish is fixed on the wall so most properties could do this if they had a wall facing the right way.

JessicaH

Totally agree LL.
Totally changed from when I first joined  in 2005 . Then forum folk, most of whom lived here,  were friendly and helpful...Now it is a bullet dodging exercise....

lorca lad

Hi JessicaH

Haven't disappeared .... just monitoring the forum, ....... . Below the parapet and the flak/dross.     

Sometimes, I read the comments on this forum and despair   !!!!!!

Anyone else care to put their head above the parapet, to complain .... and probably get Blasted for daring to mention the comments of the "Chosen few" ?..

Regards
L.L.

byrney

Unfortunately Rod, not everyone is blessed with property which can accommodate a 1.8 dish.

JessicaH

Hi Lorca lad,
Wondered where you had disappeared to...
If it happens as before for us the signal reaches its peak in December ( and rarely breaks up) until end of Feb.
Perfect time of year for us for watching tv 'cos never indoors during the summer.
Cheers

lorca lad

Hi JessicaH,

I was told that the satelite associated with TV signals does not actually sit in the same position, relative to the Earth, all of the time. It actually follows an elliptical path through space and at the moment, is at it's closest point to us. Therefore, the signal footprint is slightly larger and the signal stronger.

Like you, I have a 1.3 dish and receive tv ok at the moment (bad weather not counted) ........ but in a few weeks, as the sat moves away .... the signal will reduce.

Not sure if this is fact ..... but it makes sense to me.

Anyway, if I cannot get live TV ..... I find something else to do !!!

Regards
L.L.

JessicaH

It is not the same everyone, Rod.

Rod

I can assure you that my 1.8 dish has worked perfectly for the last 3 years without expensive gizmos, just a TV set and a Humax digibox. Most folk had a 1.2 dish, I did as well as most of my friends and virtually all signals were lost. Some come back for a short period as has your 1.3 dish. For me I want one that works for all the year round.

JessicaH

The point I was making Rod was that folk were told once the UK channels realigned their signals BBC1 et al were gone for good and I am saying, having discovered this phenomenon by chance 3 years ago, this isn't totally true and was querying why.
Also letting other people know that this was possible.

Certainly for those who desire 52 weeks of UK tv then upgrading to a mega sized dish and other expensive techno stuff that may or may not work, is a must.

RedEyes

Quote from: Rod on October 19, 2017, 08:50:16 AM
If you want tv all the year round via satellite you have to go the large dish way otherwise your 1.3 dish would give you the stations all the year round, not just for a couple of months.

As Elgin has said, even a 1.8m dish will not necessarily give you every channel for 365 days.  However, it should provide more reliable coverage than a 1.3m one does.

Rod

If you want tv all the year round via satellite you have to go the large dish way otherwise your 1.3 dish would give you the stations all the year round, not just for a couple of months.

Elgin

I'm no technical expert but I do know the winter months (Oct to Mar) signals get stronger so more channels become available.  On our 1.8m dish we can pick up the BBC1 (southeast) and ITV1 (Meridian) in SD but not in HD.  However, BBC1 HD is now available.  Other channels like Gold HD have come back as well.  However, they will go again in the spring.  Also in October and March the main channels disappear altogether for about 10 minutes in the mornings for 5 days or so.  This is because the sun blocks the signal.

byrney

"How can this be when the experts told us the realignment of the signals would render this impossible without purchasing larger dishes and new equipment" - because they are con artists maybe?  Allegedly.

JessicaH

...Certainly not complaining but don't understand how every year at this time the main UK channels + others are suddenly becoming available and if, as per normal, will remain so until mid March.
At the moment watching Grand Designs on Ch4 via my 1.3 dish
How can this be when the experts told us the realignment of the signals would render this impossible without purchasing larger dishes and new equipment.