Solar water heater and tank

Started by WillSue, October 15, 2017, 11:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artie

When I had mine installed some years ago I was told by an "expert" in that sort of thing that it would take 30 - 40 years to start saving on energy costs. It lasted 8 years before the tank casing corroded! Also regular servicing is required particularly in this hard water area. It seemed a good idea at the time, be eco friendly etc.but financially the pits.

Talldude

Our solar water system was on the house when we bought it, so can't comment on cost. It is not an all in one system with the tank on the roof; instead, the 300 ltr tank is in our utility room and instead of the series of evacuated tubes you tend to see on most systems, we have 3 flat panels  with thin copper tubing that heats the water. Enquires I made with a solar heating installer suggest that the evacuated tubes are more efficient. With regards to the performance of our system, throughout the year our water temp ranges from about 40 - 80 degrees so long as the sun is out for most of the day. If it is overcast for 1 or more days, then the temp drops. When the storage tank is only at 40 - 45, then we have to run the hot water through a gas boiler to boost it's temperature. Our water pressure is ok, but when we shower and are using the gas boiler, we run the pump on our deposito to ensure constant pressure and a high flow rate. Hope this helps you in your decision - for us, if I had the money and we didn't already have a system, I would probably install one.

Rich

Hi

I had one fitted just before the summer and worked great whilst i was there although only used as a holiday home.

I will let you know how we progress but expect to make savings during the course of the year but probably a few years until pay back (paid about €1600). I am a qualified energy assessor in the UK so considered the installation a bit of a no brainer for Southern Spain.

Hope this helps.

WillSue

Hello
Are solar water heaters efficient and any recommendations please and would they work on low pressure feed?
Many thanks