PIRdA, HOMELESS! Urgent appeal for help please!

Started by PIRdA chris, September 19, 2017, 02:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

We are locking all topics regarding the situation at Sophias and the gym and PIRdA. What started off as a simple request for new accommodation for PIRdA has turned into the regurgitation of assaults on Sophias. No matter what members views are on the topic, unless responses by those other than Roger are forthcoming then it is a pretty much pointless discussion.
Only those being targeted know what the truth is and will, I assume, post that truth at some stage, in order to alleviate the concerns raised by Roger involving the qualifications of people offering health care. 

This, as far as we are concerned is an end to the matter any further posts on this subject will be deleted.

raysun

The dreaded word corruption has just raised its head quite correctly in an earlier post. Nothing new to spain of course. 

why have the three  uk amigos in the town hall or our esteemed mayor  not had a word to say to to the people who pay to keep them in their jobs,
What is the unseen connection between some members of the town hall and sophias. it beggers belief some of the carry on here.
Unfortunately roger im afraid your time maybe up.  its a sad day for arboleas when financial  shenianigans between the town hall and sophias  will result in the loss of a champion.
Perhaps cristobal might deign to make a comment to his citizens  on arboleas live or perhaps just (  let  them eat cake )  as a lady in a similar position once said

Roger

The Mayor stated at a council meeting on 7th September
"We are not going out to tender for the gymnastics salon"
No reason given.

Tetley

Quote from: languagesolutions on September 20, 2017, 08:49:42 AM
All I can say is...go and find out. The Mayor is pretty accesible. Obviously, it would be great if the TH clarified the situation, but I don't see the point in creating fuss and even public polls without finding out the facts first.
As a local businessman, I've had a few issues with the TH. I've never (correct me if I'm mistaken) complained on a public forum; I've been to visit the mayor and had it directly from the horses mouth.
As I said before; 'Hablando se entiende la gente' Good luck 😉
Quick question, for Roger maybe:
Do you need to be invited to take part in a public tender process? I thought I read a post on Facebook by the mayor on stating that Stacey could take part, just like everyone else. May be wrong though...

Correct,he is working on our main road,nr the medical centre,so there is no point everybody key board tapping,just pop and have a word

also if Roger isnt content

,he is in his mid 70,s,he helped get the current Mayor elected twice with the help of the Brit vote ,he has helped deliver inn 13 & 14.

knowbody yet know the Brit Feture in Arboleas after 2019,so its time he retired if he wishes and hand,s the Job over to our Younger councillors.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

languagesolutions

All I can say is...go and find out. The Mayor is pretty accesible. Obviously, it would be great if the TH clarified the situation, but I don't see the point in creating fuss and even public polls without finding out the facts first.
As a local businessman, I've had a few issues with the TH. I've never (correct me if I'm mistaken) complained on a public forum; I've been to visit the mayor and had it directly from the horses mouth.
As I said before; 'Hablando se entiende la gente' Good luck 😉
Quick question, for Roger maybe:
Do you need to be invited to take part in a public tender process? I thought I read a post on Facebook by the Mayor stating that Stacey could take part, just like everyone else. May be wrong though...

PIRdA chris

Hi languagesolutions,
That was the issue we didn't and still don't understand. It seems that neither PIRdA nor the Gym were invited to put in a tender. Although PIRdA were told "it may go out for tender in the future but we don't know."

It is one thing to be told we have not been invited to submit a tender as the ayuntamiento may have had plans themselves for the nave. However, we were then told that it may be put out to tender later, does that not imply it is going to be left vacant? We are not able to comply with what is not offered.

Chris
Kind regards,
The PIRdA team

languagesolutions

Being totally objective...I don't really get all the fuss. I agree that it's not 'nice' that PIRda and Stacey have been asked to leave the naves, but it seems like the TH have decided to put these companies out to tender; that's how things work.
So it looks like PIrDa won't have any problem to find a new home and everybody (including Stacey, Sophias) will be able to put forward their proposals and try and win.
Again, it's how things are done...
Regarding Roger wanting to resign...my question is: Why now? After all the hard work is paying off, Innovación 14 passed, Arboleas on the up,... for putting businesses out to tender? Sounds a bit strange to me, unless he prefers to retire.
'Hablando se entiende la gente' 😉

macc

Judging by Rogers reaction on here it appears he is no longer in the loop, are they keeping him in the dark for a reason. Everything he worked for could come crashing down, or at least to a halt if he is removed or forced to resign before completion. I feel with Rogers corrections over Sophias and the divide it seems to have caused in the expat community, with less support from those that count, ie "the community" maybe the mayor and the rest of the council think it's a good time to drive him out.

PIRdA chris

Hi all,
I would firstly like to thank everyone for their kind words and support, your response has been absolutely overwhelming and shows just how the Alboleans hold PIRdA in fond regard. However, I would also like to add that the post was not written to cause any further disruption within the community as there has been enough of that already of late. PIRdA are not looking for retaliation, retribution nor resignations, so I should just like to reiterate that the purpose of the post was just to ask for assistance in locating alternative accommodation in which PIRdA can carry out its work due to the fact that we were advised we must cease activities on 30th September.

Lola, I am sure, will do her utmost to try and find us suitable premises in Zurgena if it is there to be found. But due to the shortness of time before we have to cease our activities I just wondered whether anyone on the forum was aware of any such premises they could suggest to us. I have taken note of the suggestion that there may be empty accommodation in the RENFE building in Alfoquía which I will check out so thank you very much for that!  :c017:

May I also just clarify that Albox computer club is still located in Albox and the club's meetings are held at La Parrilla in la plaza mayor every Friday and start at about 10:15 new members always welcome! (Sorry, couldn't miss the opportunity for a plug! Lol! :57:) It is PIRdA, which originally evolved from the computer club and is an activity of the club that is/was currently based in Arboleas and are about to lose their workshop based in the Nave.

So thank you once again for everyone's support it has been very much appreciated, not just by me but all the PIRdA team who are equally as keen to find an acceptable solution and as quickly as possible.

If anyone hears of anywhere please feel free to contact me at the following email address:

acc.chris.president@gmail.com

Many thanks
Chris

:08:
Kind regards,
The PIRdA team

Amanda Oakley

If this is the case, how come the Town Hall are not allowing such valuable services to be made homeless (childrens gym and PIRDA) when all of this has kicked off due to the "alleged" bad practices (that should have been managed by the Town Hall) in the first place....... ie Sophias

I am aware that there are a number of "victims" in this whole saga and people living in Arboleas need to campaign for the services that are valued and provide a quality service to the community.......
Roger (who has sooooooooooooo put his neck on the line) has been outspoken in sheer desperation in this whole matter and needs our support  as do the businesses affected............
I would also love to know what the local Spanish community think (if they know) of the underlying CORRUPTION that in my opinion, prevails, as this suits in order to win votes !!!!! The local Spaniards would be up in arms but the expat community is in reality, in the main, oblivious !!!!!!
:sign0065:
Amanda Oakley
ALO Services (Zurgena)
Conveyancing and General Legal Services
info@aloservices.es
Tel 950 449179 / 667 994682

byrney

Sorry Sally, not in the UK.  I see no reason why that would not be different in Spain.

Council premises are generally not let by tender.

The valuation department of the Town all assesses the worth and puts it on the market at that price just like an estate agent does.  The District Valuer would step in if there were any perceived irregularities.

sallyb

Sorry Byrney most councils buildings ARE put out to tender, it is their duty to get the best price for the council tax  (IBI) payers
Phyll

byrney

This is a complete basket-case.

If a Council owns a property whic is available for lease, then surely it is absolutely entitled to lease it to whoever it so wishes.

I simply can't get my head round the need to put buildings out to tender - it certainly doesn't happen in the UK, no matter what others may have you believe.

Nicbat

Is the pool bar run as a private business?? Just wondered when Roger is going to publish their profit and loss figures and accounts and also show us all the health and safety certificates and health and hygiene certificates and all the other stuff that has been published about Sophias. It is a complete case of victimisation Roger!

Tetley

At the end of the day,Roger has done a good Job,Dilvered inovation 13 & 14

he is in his 70,s

so if he isnt content,its time to go

if he wishes

even if he chooses to stay he may be gone by 2019 anyway,depending on the bxllucks of  uk eu ness .
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Crystal2

I would not like to see Roger resign.   He has done so much for Arboleas.   People have short memories

byrney

As I say to the Computer Club - look to Zurgena who will maybe see things slightly differently to Arboleas (as indeed on many other issues).

I see absolutely no problem with any organisation (either for profit or for no profit) leasing a Council-owned building for a legitimate/legal use.

Why does Arboleas seem to make things so complicated as to having to put everything out to tender?  Curious.  Absolutely no need.

Roger

The Town Hall has been advised for over a year by the legal secretary that the contract with Sophias is illegal.
We were told it must be put out to tender. This is nothing to do with the gymnastics and the computer club.
It is just the Mayor over reacting because he has realized that Sophias situation which he signed 4 years ago is not correct, and that Sophias has been exceeding their agreement.
Now he has decided that the bar is also going out to tender as well as Sophias.

But then he decided that the computer club and the gymnastics was not going out to tender.
Why?
All this done without any discussion with the other councillors.

They talked about offering Stacey a contract to teach the Arboleas children, but NOT to use the room for her club.
Given that the equipment belongs to the club this was a stupid offer.

As for me having a vendetta against Sophias, the fact is that I opposed the illegal medical activities which Sophias are still publicizing on their web site, and which the Mayor has said that the Town Hall will look the other way if it continues.
Why?
I suggested that we allow Sophias to continue, I have no problem with that.
But the gym only occupies 25% of the nave and is closed for most of each week end.
Why can the building not be used by both Sophias and the community?

Sophias is a private company for private profit.
No problem with that.
But they are making that profit with a subsidy from the Town Hall, YOUR money.
The rent of 300 euros a month is very low for the size and quality of the building.
I estimate that this equates to a public subsidy over the past 4 years of 50,000 euros.
PRIVATE INFO REMOVED.
And what does the community of Arboleas get in return?
The ability to become a client of Sophias and pay for the services they offer!.
For the 95% of the residents of Arboleas who are not Sophias clients they lose the use of a public building.

This is not a criticism of Sophias. They are a private company set up to maximize the profits of the owners.
The criticism is aimed at the Town Hall for not protecting a public investment, and not protecting the public against unsafe activities.

byrney

There are some excellent premises sitting there doing absolutely nothing at the old Renfe building in La Alfoquia.

Maybe Zurgena Town Hall could see the benefits of this excellent community facility and would also benefit by providing computer equipment to our local school.

Arboleas clearly has a different Agenda to normality/reality.

kerash

I am at a loss to understand why a gymnastic club encouraging the health and well being of local children and a charity reconditioning computers for needy people are less important than a gym.
Surely all should be allowed the same support of the Town Hall if they are going about their businesses legally.

Rogers investigations into Sophias should never have been on a public forum and have returned to bite him in a big way. The Town Hall seem to have glossed over or ignored the failings there and indeed appear to be rewarding instead.
It would be preferable if the Town Hall now concentrated on helping the many people of Arboleas who put them in there to fulfil their promises of legalising the properties. People's lives have been made a misery over the years and at last when they feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel they can get on with their lives wherever they wish.
But if Roger is driven out because of all this, and yes he can be difficult but he has fought for years for first 13 and now 14 despite all the negativity thrown at him.

AnnieR

I do hope the Computer Club find a new premises.  It seems that people who work hard to give to their local community without asking for any reward are being treated very unfairly.  
I was not aware that the Gymnastics club has also been forced to close.  Quite unbelievable as I thought (correct me if I am wrong) that the Town Hall was instrumental in setting it up in the first place.  
Stacey has put so much effort into getting all the equipment and making such a success of it that it is often oversubscribed.
What on earth is going on with the Town Hall??  Lunatics running the asylum comes to mind!!    :91:
Let's hope they have a rethink, and soon.

Mickey

Why is Sophia's being allowed to continue at such a low rent ? We all assume that ALL relevant qualifications and insurances are now in place and on full public view.  Seems very unfair on the other two organisations who are there to support the whole community.
Mickey

Nicbat

So, to sum all of this horrible situation up, since Roger started his vendetta against Sophias's, the Town Hall have now shut the computer club and the kids gymnastics centre but not Sophias's! well, well, well!! And now Roger is resigning! Says it all really

Roger

What everyone should do is ..

1. write a short complaint (use Google translate it is good enough).
Take it to the Town hall Reception and ask for it to be given to the Mayor.

2. Turn up in numbers around 2pm when he is most likely to be there and walk in to his office (it is what the Spanish do).
do not ask for an appointment because you will just be referred to danny.

I am now writing my strong objection to him, which will no doubt be a precursor to my resignation.

terina

If what Clare is saying will make a difference then surely it is up to EVERYONE to do this - both gym club and the computer people are surely being very unfairly treated.    Both Spanish and other nationalities benefit from both of these organisations, we need the mayor to explain exactly why this is happening, please let us not just sit on the fence on this.   Clare how do we do this please ?

Queen Clare Shirley

I presume the townhall has a complaints book or somewhere to lodge Quejas

I suggest that everyone puts in a complaint saying that there should be a space for gymnastics and the computer charity as well as Sophias

People of Arboleas, use your might, you can all go in, put in your queja and see if that can sway the Town Hall

I also suggest that if the good people at Sophias are legal they wont mind an Inspection from Health and Safety and Social Security Inspectors to ensure that everything is above board and legal
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

Roger

Both the gymnastics and now the computer club have been told the rooms will not be put out to tender.
No reason given.
However Sophias have been invited to tender for the gym, including rehabilitation (without any check from the Town hall regarding qulaifications for medical treatments) at a highly subsidied rent of 300 euros pm for 4 year.

I cannot explain the unbelievable.

PIRdA chris

Hi sleepy John,  :039:
PIRdA stands for Proyecto Informatica Reciclada de Arboleas. This roughly translates to Recycled Computer Project of Arboleas. PIRdA is an activity of Albox computer club. When we moved from Albox to Arboleas we were offered the use of the premises free of charge if we incorporated the name Arboleas into our name. We were pleased to do that to promote Arboleas who in return gave us the use of a small section of the Nave in which to carry out our activities. The agreement was made between la ayuntamiento and David Shear the founder of both Albox computer club and PIRdA. The reason I have been posting so much lately instead of David, is, as president of the computer club and coordinator for PIRdA it is my responsibility to do the very best for both and on David's behalf as he is now no longer well enough to do these things himself. To be fair, and we always try to be, we were advised that our current workshop was likely to be temporary. However, we have always been lead to believe that we would then be offered an alternative premises should that turn out to be the case. 

We accept donations of old or broken computers, repair them then donate them to worthy causes. This may be to families, many different charities, local town halls, libraries, the Cruz Rojo, disabled centres, music schools and many many more in fact even la policia in Arboleas have benefitted by a donations from us.

I don't quite know how we have been involved or incorporated within certain current issues, but we have been advised by la ayuntamiento we will not be invited to submit a tender for the workshop but have been told that maybe it will be put up for tender in the future. This statement would imply that the workshop may even be left unoccupied, I really don't know. We have had several meetings with various members at the ayuntamiento de Arboleas but to no avail. Therefore due to shortage of time we have no alternative but to look further afield for a new workshop.

Chris
Kind regards,
The PIRdA team

Roger

This is a total disgrace.
I have worked to get this accommodation for this charity who provide a great asset to the whole community.

I have never been informed about this decision.
Arboleas Town hall has totally lost the plot.

Maura

PIRda is http://www.pirda.org/ a non profit organisation that recycles unwanted computers for worthy causes.

We are really sorry that we cannot find space for this very worthy association in any of our premises in Albox at the moment.

sleepy john

Rod

Similar thing happened in the Albox indoor market several years ago. They said they were making it into a car park. The group of friends quickly moved out but it seems nobody else did and they are still there and no car park.

felipe

To be booting a group of people out that are do so much good for the COMMUNITY, Spanish and expats alike. It is very puzzling. Perhaps someone from the TH can come on here and explain the reasons. It simply makes no sense. When the TH are asking for more things to attract both sides of the community to work together. Expexially, as I understand it, PIRdA have supplied local Spanish children with computers.

freddie

Why is all this suddenly happening what has changed so dramatically in the last few weeks to affect all these people in these naves- it would be nice to have a clear and concise reason how this has come about from the town hall, I am sure arboleans are more interested in knowing why this is happening and not about Brexit.

terina

I am at a complete loss to understand why your organisation has to leave there.   I know about the situation at Sophias but you surely are a completely different situation !