Bemused

Started by 345 Challenger, August 20, 2017, 08:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkgolf

Thank you Olly.....my fuse is sometimes rather short, but usually only when someone winds me up. I'm a pretty placid person under normal (?) circumstances lol

olly

You certainly are.
Mind you don't blow a fuse though.
By the way, just to let you know, I was'nt one of those who complained to the Admin about your original post.
If your not meant to have midnight snacks, why do they put a light in fridges?
                        Pete. Oliver.

Pinkgolf

No Olly....I DO NOT.......I am entitled to my opinion whether you like it or not !!!!!!

Greggers

Webe, have to agree about 'comedian' Jimmy Tarbuck. About as funny as toothache !

olly

Try reading the original post again Pink Golf.
Just reading the original post and two following ones, I can't seem to find any mention of, what did you think of him.
Only R.i.P.'s.
For some reason, you appear to me to just be trying to stir things up.
When the Admin decided to delete the posts and lock the topic down, I think that said a lot don't you.
                        Pete. Oliver.

webejamin

Well, I liked old Brucie, he saved me a few bob over the years, coz our telly used to just be on, but he always reminded me to turn it off. Same goes for Jimmy Tarbuck, saved me a few bob as well, still does if he's ever on the telly.
Cant get no better accolade than that.

Pinkgolf

Could someone please explain how stating your opinion on whether you liked or disliked someone who has died is being disrespectful. Nothing I said in my initial post was, in any way, in my view, disrespectful. I simply stated how I felt about this person and how that person made me feel as a child. The original post was an open discussion topic about a celebrity who had passed away, not a celebratory post asking for eulogies, accolades or tributes. Did I misread the gist of the original topic, or did other commenting readers simply jump on the tribute "band waggon" and not allow other viewpoints to be taken into consideration ???????

Jo-JoB

Felipe

I don't agree with people being disrespectful to someone who has died. Regardless of their popularity, or lack of it.

But to say ''The majority rule, not the minority'' smacks of restriction of free speech.

So those who shout loudest are always the one's in the right? Well we know that's wrong! (Don't we?)

I'm sure you meant the respectful rule, not the disrespectful.

Pinkgolf

Well done 345 Challenger......was beginning to think I was the only one who "wasn't keen" !!!

Greggers

For as long as I can remember he has been a game show host, not an entertainer as such.
I did like him, and he was great in that role.

olly

Like him or hate him, your choice.
Can anyone name a better English all round Entertainer of the same era?
                        Pete. Oliver.

felipe

Luck plays a part no matter what career you choose. Being in the right place at the right time is what dictates many people's lives. My own was when I applied to do a college course on computer graphics. A lecturer on access to further education overheard my conversation and asked if I would be interested as a mature student studying to go on to university. I did her course and ended up spending  10 years at uni studying and eventually lecturing. Which led to my love of Spain and our life here.

345 Challenger

JessicaH

So true Tetley.
No-one, however talented or clever we are, is liked by everyone...even on this forum  :86:

Tetley

We saw Alice Cooper this year..probably 50 years ago he would have got thrown off an X factor type programe,but he is one of the best live acts we have seen,so i think acts are like Marmite yer either get em or yer dont,but even if yer dont there is no real need to be negative .
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

JessicaH

No,no Roger..that wasn't actually the point you were making ..because what you  wrote, and led to my responding to...was

"I suppose show biz is the one career where luck is more important that ability."

Whether an aspiring footballer , showman or entropeneur  everyone accepts that we need the luck of being in the right place at the right time in order to hopefully succeed.
But only works if you are really talented in your chosen field because, in the case of Brucie...like him or not....that initial "luck"  you wrote about allowed him to continue working on tv for 7 decades.  And at times of peak viewing.
Would that any of us be so fortunate

mimosas

Bloody old dinosaur - should have retired years ago

Moyra

I agree with Roger, in the Performing Arts industry you have to be in the right place at the right time. It is NOT an easy industry to break into. I have a niece and a friends son one is successful the other still trying to "break in".

That's just mho of watching these two people.

Moyra
Be nice to each other, you don't know what's round the corner.

Roger

Whether he had talent is a matter of personal opinion.
The point I was making is that, no matter what talent he may have had, without that luck all the years ago we would never have heard of him.

Tetley

Worth 15/20 mill,

kids ,Grandkids

and probably never worked a day in his life,because he enjoyed his work

as Phil said why  have the Dis on here.
Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

345 Challenger

All I can say to that is thank god we all like and enjoy different things in life. That's what makes the world go arround

JessicaH

Sorry, Roger, you are SO wrong.
Doesn't matter how much luck people have none last in showbiz without talent and in Brucies case 7 +DECADES.
On TV not a favourite of mine mainly, except for his amazing hosting skills on game shows.
However on tv caberet shows his talent, like most entertainers of his ilk, their aura doesn't  show through.

I saw Brucie live , in London, at Talk of the Town 1959.  His talent was absolutely amazing.
This venue was so popular one had to book up months in advance so who rhe entertainer was, was often a mystery until the actual evening.
Also saw..Max Bygraves, Eartha Kitt and Shirley Bassey at this venue.
Admit that only the latter SB we were actually looking forward to but once these folks took to the stage they had the audience spellbound with their talent.
Even though their later tv performances didn't have the same appeal realised then why they had a " star " on their dressing room doors.

felipe

That, I agree with!!

345 Challenger

OK!!... I surrender. Shame the same rule doesn't apply in real life.

felipe

I also have to respond to the numerous PMS sent complaining. The majority rule not the minority.

345 Challenger

I understand your reasoning Felipe, but respect for other people's opinions works both ways, no matter what is said there will always be someone that gets offended.

Roger

What I find interesting is that the only reason we know him is because he was unemployed and about to give up showbiz.
Then Tommy Trinder was taken ill the day before Sunday Night at the London Palladium.
A quick rush around to find a known replacement (at the time Tommy Trinder was mega) but everyone was working.
So Bruce Forsyth got the one night job.
I remember seeing that show on TV and everyone thought, who is this guy.
He made a joke about having the same big chin as Tommy Trinder.
And that would have been his one night of fame, except that it turned out that Tommy Trinder was seriously ill and never returned, and all the big names were contracted for the season.

I suppose show biz is the one career where luck is more important that ability.

felipe

I received numerous complaints about the lack of respect for Brucie. If people want to have a pop at him then start a new thread. Free speech is fine but people need to also have a bit of respect for other members posts.

345 Challenger

Being as the Bruce Forsyth thread has been locked and many posts removed, I have to ask why? I don't care who liked or disliked him, is free speech a thing of the past? Whether he  was a good entertainer is up for debate, let's just say, he wasn't my cup of tea.