Car Insurance

Started by JETSKIBALA, August 16, 2017, 15:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest14507

If I had 2 cars, one being a 3.5 ltr 7 seater and was being charged €600 for both of them, I would take the cash to Linea Directa office personally to make sure they got the money and say thank you very much.

guest4538

Quote from: byrney on August 19, 2017, 12:05:30 PM
I fully understand that Elgin.
The point I am making is that when an insurance company gives a quote it should be non-negotiable to be fair to those of us who are unable to haggle.
When I go into a shop and see a loaf of bread at a particular price I do not go to the till and start to barter with them.

Fortunately, Byrney, we live in a free market economy. We moved away from state price fixing many years ago!

byrney

I fully understand that Elgin.

The point I am making is that when an insurance company gives a quote it should be non-negotiable to be fair to those of us who are unable to haggle.

When I go into a shop and see a loaf of bread at a particular price I do not go to the till and start to barter with them.

Elgin

Quote from: byrney on August 18, 2017, 13:01:25 PM
I simply don't agree that insurance should be "negotiable".

They should give you a price and that is that.

Otherwise, you know full well that they are lining their pockets from those of us who are not hard-nosed negotiators.

Unfortunately, what we think is "right" and just" isn't the case any more.  The reward for loyalty when it comes to insurance is you pay more.  Since online buying and price comparison sites came into being it is all about the lowest price for new business.  These low initial prices are usually at a loss.  Some years ago I spent 9 months working at RBS Insurance (now Direct Line Group) Head Office  and during that time I learned that new business discounts were so big that the loss made in the first year had to be split across 2 years (or more).  The idea is they get you in with a low price in year one then hike the price over following years until they make a profit.  10 years a go there was generally a big hike in year 2 but now i think they have to do it more gently. 

A similar thing is happening with car hire where online prices are very low so they come up with all sorts of ways of getting more money out of you so they make a profit.  The fuel game is one but the latest is hiking the damage excess.  5 - 10 years ago excesses were about £200-£250 last month I hired a car in the UK and the excess was £2,500!  This is to scare you into buying their additional insurance which is grossly overpriced.

byrney

I simply don't agree that insurance should be "negotiable".

They should give you a price and that is that.

Otherwise, you know full well that they are lining their pockets from those of us who are not hard-nosed negotiators.

chrissyh

forgot to say that IBEX have an office on the corner of suicide junction.

chrissyh

I have found IBEX Insurance the best by far, have had various vehicles insured with them, excellence service even in the event of a claim.

felipe

My view is to stick local and sit face to face with someone. LD try this on all the time. Go see Kevin and see what he can offer you.

Elgin

If you have been with Linea Directa for a few years give them a ring and say it's too much (it's an idea to get some quotes from a price comparison site first e.g. http://www.rastreator.com/seguros-de-coche.aspx.  I did last year and they took about €100 off BOTH.

byrney

Just offer LD a ludicrously low premium and they'll turn over and let you tickle their tummies - a bunch of shysters IMHO.

Or, better still, go elsewhere and get a proper quote and not a made up one.

Rtis

Kevin at Liberty Seguro will help you out,near pricebusters,we pay 300 euros full comp on volvo 2.4 diesel .

JETSKIBALA

Hi, we are looking to renew our car insurance 2 cars, currently with Linea Directa, but feel the costs are getting silly, we are paying the same amount for a 3.5ltr 7 seater car and a little run around 1.4lt diesel car at just over €300 each one, seems a little odd.
Can anyone help giving approx. prices and for what type of car insured and details of the company used

Many thanks

Jetskibala :c017: