Windows 10

Started by Oats, August 11, 2017, 15:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrney

Glad to hear the wheels of industry are still being turned by some sane persons!

byrney

"I am taking it up with Microsoft" - good luck with that Oats.  The asylum awaits you......

Problem is Hogs, not all of us have the fat pensions (that you fought so hard for) to afford Apple..........

We mere mortals have to make do with the tossers at Microsoft - ah where is Sinclair ZX when you want it?

Clearly MS have a new product coming online soon.

A path they always tread.  ****** up everybodies current system and then provide a "wonderful" alternative.  Shysters the lot of them.

webejamin

I've been on 10 for about a year or so too, but it does tend to get on me nerves a bit when it just does what it want's when it want's. OK, it's got loadsa fings on it than before on 7, but I never use em, ever, yet it's always updating fings I don't even know wot they are. I still only use Internet Explorer coz it's simple, for a simple person :72:

zilnor

Have had Windows 10 for over a year. No problems so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way !

Oats

Quote from: Higgly on August 17, 2017, 11:26:53 AM
:41:I had an automatic Windows 10 update last week and my computer virtually ground to a halt!!!!! Been coping with the slowness and then on Tuesday another automatic update and since then everything has changed, I can't get microsoft edge to work properly, I keep losing screens and the format has changed!!! Windows 10 stop automatically updating me with your rubbish!!!! aargh!!! :41: :41: :41: :41:

I am taking it up with Microsoft as like you I had a massive amount of updates (even though I always keep my PC and everything else up to date) and now things that I could ordinarily use I can't and I lose screens too. Maybe we're just the unlucky ones as you would expect more people to be saying the same. Maybe we are the guinea pigs for the update and everyone else will wait to see if we sort out the problem before they update their computers!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Higgly

:41:I had an automatic Windows 10 update last week and my computer virtually ground to a halt!!!!! Been coping with the slowness and then on Tuesday another automatic update and since then everything has changed, I can't get microsoft edge to work properly, I keep losing screens and the format has changed!!! Windows 10 stop automatically updating me with your rubbish!!!! aargh!!! :41: :41: :41: :41:

byrney

Thanks again Chisme - it "goes to sleep" / dies on me at random times.  Sometimes it behaves and stays switched on, but other times it just switches itself off (sometimes within seconds of using it).

It does not some back to life when I move the mouse/ press enter keys etc etc.  I have to physically switch it off using on/off button which I don't like doing.

Anyway, I've now put all my settings onto never and will see what happens.

Cielos

Quote from: Oats on August 11, 2017, 15:11:37 PM
Sorry for posting this in General Chatter but there doesn't appear to have been any activity in the Computer section since February so I wonder would this post be read. Has anyone else's computer been chuntering away today. I am running on Windows 10 and it seems like it's doing an update, in fact there was one a short while ago, but now it's started all over again. When I go to the section that lists updates it says there are none. They were there over the weekend!!!  I know that there was a new cumulative update and since then problems.  I have been unable to send emails from Outlook via Windows 10 but can send Yahoo and GMail emails from that source. All very strange. Have the gremlins got in I ask myself???? :41: :41:

I genuinely hate Windows 10.  The most intrusive and user-unfriendly version of Windows ever, imo.

If you think there's a genuine problem that needs an expert,  I'll PM you with a recommendation
Don't whatever you do pay anyone to "re-format" it - usually a waste of time and money

guest4538

Quote from: byrney on August 15, 2017, 13:49:50 PM
Thanks for that Chisme, but they are all set at 30+ minutes, but it doesn't seem to work as it goes to sleep/switches off as it pleases!

You haven't said how long it takes before the screen goes off or the computer goes into sleep mode!

Try different settings (eg choose 'never'), look also at the additional power settings: look at both 'Balanced' or 'Power Save' plans; click on 'Change plan settings' to see the details and change them if necessary.

Also, if your screen only goes off, it should come on again as soon as you touch your mouse or touchpad; if your computer goes to sleep, just touching the start button (not a long press) should wake it up...

byrney

Thanks for that Chisme, but they are all set at 30+ minutes, but it doesn't seem to work as it goes to sleep/switches off as it pleases!

guest4538

Quote from: byrney on August 15, 2017, 11:24:27 AM
Since last week's helpful (not) Windows 10 automatic up-date I am having a problem with my laptop.
For no apparent reason the screen just goes blank and the only way to get it back is to do the unthinkable and switch it off using the on/off button.
Also, after leaving it for a minute or so (sometimes less), again, the screen dies on me and it seems to go into some sort of sleep mode which I can't always retrieve, so, again, have to use the on/off key.
Does anyone know if they have automatically adjusted some settings so that you can't leave it in stand-by for any length of time?
Help would be appreciated as it's doing my head in!

Right click the Window icon in the lefthand corner of your screen; left click 'system'; click 'Power and Sleep'; then set your timings as you want them...

byrney

Since last week's helpful (not) Windows 10 automatic up-date I am having a problem with my laptop.

For no apparent reason the screen just goes blank and the only way to get it back is to do the unthinkable and switch it off using the on/off button.

Also, after leaving it for a minute or so (sometimes less), again, the screen dies on me and it seems to go into some sort of sleep mode which I can't always retrieve, so, again, have to use the on/off key.

Does anyone know if they have automatically adjusted some settings so that you can't leave it in stand-by for any length of time?

Help would be appreciated as it's doing my head in!

Marietw

Quote from: Chisme on August 13, 2017, 09:58:28 AM

[/quote
You're correct, you need to sit down and try Windows 10. It is an improvement on Windows 7, for which extended support is due to end in January 2020. So in just over 2 years you'd start getting serious problems with both the Windows 7 operating system and the use of browsers: I'm sure many current users of XP and Vista, whose support ended some time ago, can testify to this!

It therefore seems a retrograde step to load Windows 7 on a new Windows 10 computer.

There are plenty of tutorials online to help get you familiar with Windows 10. So it may be worth spending a bit of time looking first at the basics, and then getting practise with daily tasks of emails, Skype, arranging photos etc. This might help as a starter: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/basics-using-start-and-taskbar-in-windows-10/415c0fce-7b5d-4a81-968b-3900720bdf8e?auth=1.

Enjoy.

Thank you, looks like a day off from housework for a day of study:)

Oats

No wonder my computer was falling over. Apart from the Windows 10 feature update there were 21 more updates this morning. Thanks to all those people that have offered assistance. I hope it's all over now!!!

sparkiemike

I had as similar problem updating Windows 10 & the answer, after a lot of searching is quite simple in the windows update page there is a box that says something like check for all Microsoft updated available for this machine.

Uncheck this box so you are only looking for windows 10 updates & it works fine

Mike
Rules are made for the obeyance of fools & the guidance of wise men

guest4538

lmj52

Bought a laptop a couple of years ago with windows 8.1. Had the free windows10 upgrade. Has worked fine ever since. Also have a windows mobile. All good and make sure you get the upgrades too.
I also have an iPad mini. All good too and very fast.
Vida. Disfruta el viaje.

Elgin

Quote from: Rod on August 12, 2017, 22:06:24 PM
I have no problem with windows 10, updated to latest version and working fine.

Same here it took a while (20 mins or so) but now its fine

guest4538

Quote from: Marietw on August 13, 2017, 09:25:42 AM
Hope it's OK to hijack the post but wondered if anyone has a bit of advice to give....  I have a new laptop with windows 10 on it, but I was given a windows 7 install disc and told it's much better than 10 - so I haven't used my new laptop as I'm not sure whether I should put 7 on it.  I have to say I don't get on very well with 10 on our other laptop but that could be because I've not really sat down and explored it.
Thanks in advance.

You're correct, you need to sit down and try Windows 10. It is an improvement on Windows 7, for which extended support is due to end in January 2020. So in just over 2 years you'd start getting serious problems with both the Windows 7 operating system and the use of browsers: I'm sure many current users of XP and Vista, whose support ended some time ago, can testify to this!

It therefore seems a retrograde step to load Windows 7 on a new Windows 10 computer.

There are plenty of tutorials online to help get you familiar with Windows 10. So it may be worth spending a bit of time looking first at the basics, and then getting practise with daily tasks of emails, Skype, arranging photos etc. This might help as a starter: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/basics-using-start-and-taskbar-in-windows-10/415c0fce-7b5d-4a81-968b-3900720bdf8e?auth=1.

Enjoy.

Oats

Aha, this morning I have a message in the update settings area of Windows 10 to say there was a problem updating and to retry or go to their help section, so clearly there has been a problem on my pc. Thanks again for your help and after I've done what I need to do on the PC I will attempt to get the update/s through. If not restore as was suggested.

Marietw

Hope it's OK to hijack the post but wondered if anyone has a bit of advice to give....  I have a new laptop with windows 10 on it, but I was given a windows 7 install disc and told it's much better than 10 - so I haven't used my new laptop as I'm not sure whether I should put 7 on it.  I have to say I don't get on very well with 10 on our other laptop but that could be because I've not really sat down and explored it.
Thanks in advance.

guest4538

Quote from: Hogs on August 12, 2017, 16:07:28 PM
Ahhhhhh MS Windows 10 !  What a wonderful piece of MS Operating System.  I was so impressed that I bought forward my MacBook Air purchase forward 12 months and now no longer spend half my computer time red faced and swearinfg at the screen !  If MS spent more time perfecting software before launching it and building in greater protection for users it might be a different story.
Thankyou MS for getting me out of your evil Security Patch update embrace ! 
Hogsy  :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2:

Apple have got a good reputation, and folks with lots of money seem to choose their products because they do perform well and they look good. Whereas most of the World, including most businesses, run Windows very successfully and at a much lower cost with far more flexibility in the compatibility of ancillary equipment (printers, scanners etc).

The performance of a computer does depend on the standard and quality of it's component parts and Macs usually use higher end components. But, for example, one of my PCs is extremely fast: it has an i7 processor, 12GB of ram, and a solid state harddrive; it cost a little less than £600 - the equivalent iMac would likely cost nearer £2,000 and I don't believe it would perform any better!

At the other extreme, I have a 9 year old Dell computer in which recently the harddrive started to fail. The system gave me warning. Dell, and other manufacturers, don't discourage owners from doing their own thing and even provide free handbooks to assist. So I bought a 1TB replacement for less than £50; it took about 10 minutes to replace without any problems; reloading Windows 10 took much longer, but I was able to leave it to get on and install itself; and then I used the Windows own free file back-up and restore system to return all my documents, photos, videos etc. All so easy and cheap to do. Would Apple encourage owners to replace their own components? How much would it cost to replace a 1TB harddrive in an iMac? 

Apple products are generally more expensive, presumably because of lack of competition. They produce their own products and they restrict which ancillary equipment can be used with their computers. Whereas Windows have an open market policy, and they are not directly involved in the manufacture of the majority of PCs. Furthermore they permit all manufactures to build and sell ancillary equipment which will be compatible with Windows PCs. It is this competition which keeps the prices down and is surely the main reason Windows is preferred by most businesses!

So, while I understand your preference, personally I would stick with Windows because of the low costs and unlimited range of compatible devices. I'm especially pleased with Windows 10, which is a great improvement on previous versions and the upgrade from Windows 7 was totally free. I don't believe the complaints about updating the operating system are wholly justified: while sometimes annoying, updates are necessary to keep ahead of the game and you can anyway select your 'active hours' under settings when Windows will avoid carrying out essential restarts.

All that said in defence of Windows, I do understand the pleasure some folk have with their Apples. So please don't read this as a criticism, just enjoy it to the full - I understand photo management in particular is better on iMacs....

Rod

I have no problem with windows 10, updated to latest version and working fine.

Oats

Quote from: Nuflow on August 11, 2017, 22:26:07 PM
I ran an update in the week and found after restarting that none of my licences were "valid"so unable to use Outlook etc.  I took pc back to a system restore point earlier in the week and restarted, all was fine.  I then just updated the laptop with the "important" updates only and following another reboot all is working as normal.  Not sure if that will help?

Kaz
Phew. it's not just me then. I have wasted so many hours on this and today the performance on the pc is poor and still no acknowledgement within Settings/update history that anything has happened. All very odd. Thank you people for coming back to me to try and help or at least let me know I am not alone in this. Another task for another day to maybe revert back to an earlier version and then see what happens or maybe it's a job for the 'big boys'! 

Roy Thomas

Same happened to me. Window 10 is a pain in arse especially as you can't turn off automatic updates.

Unable to use computer for 12 hours.

The phase Microsoft US Wan**** was shouted in the villa many times today.

Nuflow

I ran an update in the week and found after restarting that none of my licences were "valid"so unable to use Outlook etc.  I took pc back to a system restore point earlier in the week and restarted, all was fine.  I then just updated the laptop with the "important" updates only and following another reboot all is working as normal.  Not sure if that will help?

Kaz

Oats

This has been a real nightmare day. My PC has not stopped chuntering all day and has prevented me from achieving anything. Earlier today it appeared to be downloading and about lunch time when I checked again the download had happened but there is no history of it in the updates. It is however showing 1703 - so thank you for that. I can't find the other information about OS from the instructions you gave me. I thought that One Drive might be the issue as in the hidden icons it said that One Drive was signing in and it's stayed like that all day so I have uninstalled it, after moving the files - sadly it's still no better. I don't appear to have any gremlins in the system but clearly something is not right. I am unable to get a screen print of the windows update page nor can I copy and paste what it says. All very strange. I think a trip to PC hospital is on order on Monday! :41: As I write this it's all gone quiet - maybe, just maybe my pc is healed.

Oats

Tried to reply using my phone but lost all the text!!!

guest4538

Quote from: Oats on August 11, 2017, 15:11:37 PM
Sorry for posting this in General Chatter but there doesn't appear to have been any activity in the Computer section since February so I wonder would this post be read. Has anyone else's computer been chuntering away today. I am running on Windows 10 and it seems like it's doing an update, in fact there was one a short while ago, but now it's started all over again. When I go to the section that lists updates it says there are none. They were there over the weekend!!!  I know that there was a new cumulative update and since then problems.  I have been unable to send emails from Outlook via Windows 10 but can send Yahoo and GMail emails from that source. All very strange. Have the gremlins got in I ask myself???? :41: :41:

I don't know anything about the problem you appear to be having with Outlook, but I can help you check to see whether you have all the latest Windows updates.

The latest version of Windows 10 Home edition (at the time of posting) is 1703, with an OS build of 15063.540.

If you're not sure how to find your details: right click the Windows icon in the left hand corner of your screen; click 'system', then 'about'.

MAZ4929

I'm running Windows 10 but not experiencing any problems.
Hope you get sorted soon
What is important is not only to attain victory for democracy, it is to retain democracy.
Nelson Mandela.

Oats