BBC I Player

Started by Oats, August 07, 2017, 18:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandL

I used smartdnsproxy.com for a couple of years, but eventually didn't renew with them a few months ago (despite their 79% discount offer) because they failed to sort out a problem with using Netflix. So I moved on to a free trial with another smartdns provider, which so far works. Now hoping to get an email with a substantial discount like the old one!

oldbirchy

I actually don't watch much live TV. I prefer to watch series on catch up. Smart DNS proxy does seem to work though. The only problem is that the BBC may keep blocking but these guys seem to find a way around it.

Regards Andy

guest4538

Quote from: oldbirchy on August 12, 2017, 21:04:37 PM
What I was referring to was BBC iPlayer and www BBC iPlayer which are both addins within kodi. I don't know why but they both still stutter and bang even when using smart DNS proxy. So I am referring to the separate apps marketed by the BBC and ITV.
Regards Andy

OK, thanks. I must admit, I hadn't thought about accessing BBCiPlayer through Kodi!

I've used a Smart DNS previously from a different provider. Set up on our router, we could watch BBCiPlayer (and all the other UK geo-restricted players, for that matter) in browsers on our computers and with apps on our tablets. And hence onto our TV, generally with 720p resolution (we have a very reasonable internet connection from the Town Hall). So I guess smartdnsproxy.com should give us an equivalent level of service and quality? And the price you mentioned is very reasonable. Thank you.

oldbirchy

What I was referring to was BBC iPlayer and www BBC iPlayer which are both addins within kodi. I don't know why but they both still stutter and bang even when using smart DNS proxy. So I am referring to the separate apps marketed by the BBC and ITV.
Regards Andy

guest4538

Quote from: oldbirchy on August 12, 2017, 12:41:36 PM
Hi All
Smart DNS proxy has BBC up and running again.
This seems a great option for those wanting live BBC and ITV channels. So cheap too. Take the two week free trial and watch your email junk box for an offer when the trial express only $25 for two years. You are best with the original BBC I player and itv player apps though.
Regards Andy

Oldbirchy, could you please expand on your reply?

I am interested in signing up for a smart DNS, but I had assumed that that would enable me to access, what you referred to as, 'the original' BBCiPlayer. In fact, I'm only aware of one active BBCiPlayer! But you seem to be implying that there are alternative BBCiPlayer systems available and/or it's not available through smartdnsproxy.com!

I'd appreciate your further comments. Many thanks.

oldbirchy

Hi All
Smart DNS proxy has BBC up and running again.
This seems a great option for those wanting live BBC and ITV channels. So cheap too. Take the two week free trial and watch your email junk box for an offer when the trial express only $25 for two years. You are best with the original BBC I player and itv player apps though.
Regards Andy

Talldude

I use smartdnsproxy.net to access iPlayer and at the moment I´m having the same problems.  They are aware of the problem and their engineers are working on a solution.

Oats

Thank you PandL. I have just checked and have no leakage when the VPN is activated. I have been in touch with Hotspotshield and they are aware of a problem with BBC and thought they had resolved it but not for me - I just tried it again and I get the same negative message. I'm sorry if my earlier post was confusing. I open Chrome, type in BBC IPlayer and then as I have an account with them I usually have access to the programmes. I have just gone back to Hotspotshield to tell them I still have an issue.

PandL

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but I think you mean you're starting with the BBC iPlayer web page using Chrome browser on Windows 10, and not using an iPlayer app. I'm not aware of an iPlayer app for Windows ??

Have a look at http://ipleak.net using the same browser and system: it might reveal something, particularly the bit under WebRTC detection. If "your system is leaking WebRTC requests" then follow the link for the possible fixes. Just a hunch, it's just one of the ways the Beeb might be detecting use of a VPN, aside from having a VPN black list.

Don't think that Hotspotshield has a SmartDNS alternative, unfortunately. (Other SmartDNSs are available!)

Oats

I am using an IPlayer app via Chrome on Windows 10. Always worked perfectly OK until this weekend. I pay for Hotspotshield. Not sure I understand the Smart DNS comment. I will read the link that you sent and it might shed some light. Thank you for replying.

PandL

Are you using an iPlayer app, or are you accessing via a web browser? If so, could you say which browser and what system are you running on?

If the VPN you are using has an alternative of using a Smart DNS method, you might find that works, they've always worked for me!

There's been a bit of talk about this in the past, maybe still relevant: http://www.arboleas.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102779

Oats

I have been lucky enough, via a paid for VPN, to watch catch up TV on BBC I Player, however, over the weekend that seems to have changed and BBC are picking up that I am not based in the UK. Has anyone else experienced the same issue> Does anyone know if there any alternative ways of watching catch up - (without an Android Box et al)???  :c017: