MEA CULPA/ GUARDIA/ DOCUMENTATION

Started by BobL, June 15, 2017, 18:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casablanca

Tetley

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

casablanca

Have "done" the EX15 Form, the article says to take it to the Nacional Police for legalization. Could anyone tell me where the nearest National Police Office to Arboleas is please.

Tetley

Analogue mechanically  trained 1970,s Fitter  dear living  in a gone digital/tecno mad O Dearie me world......thankfully left behind with it all ,enjoying the bliss of NO phones ,  apps and  shortage of the intellectual, wile still managing to hone underachievement on the day to day in the sun  lol

Tetley

Quote from: alfore on June 22, 2017, 09:55:24 AM
I understood that it was the law that a SPANISH licence holder cannot drive a car registered in another country.  Not a foreign licence holder.

i belive a spanish licensed driver can drive a non SP  plate EU  motor in spain ,example Brit plate fully legal motor, BUT they carnt owne it,

wich is one of the reasons why brit residents have to plate there motors and non residents,example holiday home owners dont assuming the holiday home motor comes & goes back/forth to UK

Tetley

Also check when the photo runs out on uk/eu licences i think they have to be ro done every 10 years .

Queen Clare Shirley

A friend was fined 200 euros for not having a current license what the problem is they are non residents and he was looking at the back of the license and it reads expires 32 but the license itself expires in 2025

They cant change it over because they are not residents and the license itself is correct. I suggested that they appeal it as its not a valid denuncia

Clare
ILLIA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived Torrevieja 5th November 1988

alfore

I understood that it was the law that a SPANISH licence holder cannot drive a car registered in another country.  Not a foreign licence holder.

BobL

I look at the points above & smile.
Just passed the magic 70 so obviously just changed my U K Driving License 2 months ago. First Residencia Andalucia 2004 changing to Murcia ( what a nightmare ) 5'yrs ago. The Guardia Officer typed all my information into his Computer and patently there was no problem, even though I had inadvertently almost driven one of the Officers off the road. Our 2nd vehicle is also Spanish registered. Think I'll wait for the formal separation from Europe as neither India nor Australia (other homes) are terribly keen on Spanish Driving Licenses especially when ours was a bit of card. Also we do retain a UK home so the address is valid. Really the variety and validity of so many definitive opinions is truly amazing. BobL

Roger

In April 2019 all this will probably change.
The UK will no longer be in the EU.
So to me it is obvious to cover all possibilities and get yourself fully Spanish resident,
because we do not know what will be in the small print of any protection for UK citizens currently in the EU.

This means
Spanish tax registration
Town Hall Padron
Full Spanish Residencial (not just a temporay NIE Certificate for a house purchase)
Spanish driving licence
Spanish registered car

hotphot

Was at a British Legion meeting yesterday at which the British Honourary Consul from Almeria was giving a presentation. Absolutely no problem driving with a UK licence, however when it expires and you are resident in Spain you must apply for a Spanish licence.
The Consul by the way is Spanish with a business dealing with legal matters.
Mike

Tetley

My kid got pulled a few weeks ago.....they wanted...SP  licence,green residencia sheet and passport.....then they rang the numbers through.

the jist is  they expect you to change your licence if your on a uk one wile living n spain basikly because your no longer at your uk address....if you still have a uk base were your licence is registered to and your a non res then yer need an ex15 non res form issued by Almeria nick.....however dont do this if yer in the SP medical system with an NIE on the Padron ....just change yer licence and use yer SP  one in UK.

Elgin

There is no "has to be a Spanish License with a Spanish registered vehicle" rule otherwise nobody could drive hire cars.

I have had a Spanish License for many years and it does make life a bit easier :-

1) It is accepted as ID almost everywhere in Spain

2) When you high a car in the UK you only need the license - no there fannying about.

3) When stopped by the Guardia they don't ask for residencia.  In fact most times I have been stooped it has been for routine alcohol tests and when I blow zero they just send me on my way without checking anything else.

4) You get extra points for good behaviour (The Spanish points system is the opposite of the UK  - you start with 12 points - points are deducted for offences and added now and then for good behaviour)

gingernut

Morning All Ray I did exactly the same thing Huercal Overa but it goes to show how different the Guardia can be Two officers all they did as point out what I had done wrong and explain what I should have done,gone 300 yards down the road and used the roundabout.Simple.

ray

The problem arises if you've renewed your UK licence once  a permanent residence. Although being Spain one never knows!!

BobL

Good from bad!!!!! 'Over there', said my front seat passenger, and without thinking I pulled a left across an unbroken White Line. 2 Guardia motorcycle officers behind me, one extremely aggressive, and a younger one really, really pleasant. So, 100€ fine if paid within 20 days.
THE POSITIVE- he asked whether my Driving License was Spanish or Brit and I steel myself given I drive a Spanish Registered 4x4 on a UK License. No problem, no comment, no additional penalty. He asks for my Residencia and I produce my miniaturised, laminated, copy unstamped by Traffico. As above!!!!'So what about the previously reported-'has to be a Spanish License with a Spanish Registered vehicle, and a simple copy of Residencia? Maybe it was because I was cooperative and admitted I was a pratt, but I really think 100€ for peace of mind isn't too bad!!!!!
Hope this sets other minds at rest.
Bob L